Interstate battery or equal value

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Was considering the interstate megatron
But reviews have left me optimistic.
Is there other brands out there that are equal value ? Price for the megatron is about $145 after exchange.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I will not go back to a traditional battery. My AGM has impressed the hell out of me. Duracell AGM battery (78DTAGM). Rebranded Deka that is made by East Penn. Made in US with US parts.

duracell.jpg

Specifications

•20 amp hour rate:55
•BCI Group Size:34/78
•CA at 32 degrees F:955
•CCA at 0 degrees F:775
•Reserve Capacity:120
•Volts:12
•Core Charge may apply

Warranty

36 months Free Replacement

Features:
Superior starting power, high reserve capacity, and long lasting life, there’s no match for these intimidating AGM BATTERIES. Advanced AGM technology with dual purpose design makes it great for quick starts and plenty of competition-quality accessory power for • stereo systems • boats & RVs • hydraulic lifts • winches • on-board electronics • and many other power demands. The tight-pack plate and separator construction provides added power for resistance against hard-hitting stereo, competitive racing, or off-road wear and tear vibration. Along with a more efficient design, it also has the same case/cover configuration used by original equipment manufacturers for an easier fit into more applications. No elaborate marketing gimmicks or hold-down retrofits, just decades of experience to provide a better fit, more power and longer life.

Was about $120 at Sam's club. Has great reviews with the RV, boat, and offroad crowd. I really wanted the vibration resistance and dual terminals for the winch. I removed a perfectly good Everstart MAXX and stuck it in my dads S-10.

I had it out playing music by a campfire playing music with subs on and interiors on and prolly hit the remote to turn on headlights a dozen or more times(looking for firewood) over 3 or 4 hours and it started like it had not been running anything. I figured that would at least phase it a little, but it did not. Nothing has phased this thing.

I am quite satisfied so far.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have a Interstate Megatron in my wife's Aztek. God I hate that thing. For no apparent reason will go dead, when disconnected, or connected. has been doing this for years. But the warrenty wont cover it until the battery is completely dead when arriving at repair shop.

Get something else, anything else... For that money, you could buy an Optima.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The only battery I have bought since 1998 is the Duralast Gold Top from Auto Zone. Both my TB and the wife's Impala have one in them now.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
vamusy4a.jpg

This is what I have now.

I just called orielys auto parts and autozone non of those sell the Duracell AGM. Do I have to buy it from samsclub or Costco? I don't have a membership there.

CaptainKD

Jan 13, 2012
Eastern NC
C-ya said:
The only battery I have bought since 1998 is the Duralast Gold Top from Auto Zone. Both my TB and the wife's Impala have one in them now.

I also have Duralast Gold. I've had it for roughly a year and has not let me down. I got it for $115 from Auto Zone.

View attachment 27689
It looks to be comparable to the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus but slightly cheaper :thumbsup: and 6 months longer warranty :thumbsup:.

Both have 1000 CCA and 800 CA.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Get something else, anything else... For that money, you could buy an Optima.
Except optima's quality is shit now that they are made in mexico.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Didn't know that... When did that happen?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Been a few years. Odessey became the go to battery for Offroad n stereo guys that abuse batteries.

The diehard platinum is a rebadged odessey and has great reviews. Agm technology has become cheaper and some great AGM batteries made by reputable manufactuers can be found for reasonable prices like the one I shared above.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Been a few years. Odessey became the go to battery for Offroad n stereo guys that abuse batteries.

The diehard platinum is a rebadged odessey and has great reviews. Agm technology has become cheaper and some great AGM batteries made by reputable manufactuers can be found for reasonable prices like the one I shared above.

Autozone or orielys sells battery's that are AGM I think the name is everstart or something like that there a Buck twenty. Are those equal to the Duracell agm?

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
Autozone or orielys sells battery's that are AGM I think the name is everstart or something like that there a Buck twenty. Are those equal to the Duracell agm?

Autozone does offer an AGM battery option and is sold as the platinum from when I last checked. The everstart I believe is a Walmart brand.

PennTB02

Jan 26, 2012
Some times there is more to a battery than its CCA or how much you paid for it.
I have never been any place that was not within a reasonable distance of a Sears if you need a warrenty replacement. They always check the charging system for free. Sears is open evenings, weekends, and holidays too.

Buy the best battery for your needs at the best price you can find but this is just one more thing to consider.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
PennTB02 said:
Some times there is more to a battery than its CCA or how much you paid for it.
I have never been any place that was not within a reasonable distance of a Sears if you need a warrenty replacement. They always check the charging system for free. Sears is open evenings, weekends, and holidays too.

Buy the best battery for your needs at the best price you can find but this is just one more thing to consider.

Sears is just down the road from me. Do they have deals on batteries? Never thought to go there plus I buy tools there and on occasion exchanged broken tools for new ones for freeeeeee

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online