Installing external transmission cooler

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
So my mom has a 2007 envoy sle and she just hit 100,xxx and her transmission goes out and has to drop $1600 for a new one, my 2005 trailblazer lt has 137,xxx and is still doing perfectly and I'd like to keep it that way, she just has me paranoid. I got a cooler a while back just neglected to install it and am curious if there are any threads with install pics or info out there, also I'm wanting to flush and add new fluid while I'm at it so I need suggestions on the fluid I should use

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
blackout51 said:
So my mom has a 2007 envoy sle and she just hit 100,xxx and her transmission goes out and has to drop $1600 for a new one, my 2005 trailblazer lt has 137,xxx and is still doing perfectly and I'd like to keep it that way, she just has me paranoid. I got a cooler a while back just neglected to install it and am curious if there are any threads with install pics or info out there, also I'm wanting to flush and add new fluid while I'm at it so I need suggestions on the fluid I should use

I did mine two years ago and have had no problems. Ill post some pictures and a better how to on this thread in a little bit Ill go take some pics.

there are a few ways you can do it. this is how I did mine.

1 All I needed were compression fittings the hosing that came with my cooler pipe thread sealant and clamps for the hoses.
2 I cut the in and out trans cooler lines on my 04 envoy shortly after the exit the stock cooler on the bottom of the radiator.
3. I used compression fittings on the places I cut and ran hoses to the aftermarket cooler. I would take the piping piece you cut out to the store to be sure to get the right size compression fittings.

View attachment 25908

I mounted mine here:
View attachment 25910

Here are is another persons method from above
View attachment 25909

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 2013-01-12_13-08-21_205_edited_resized - Copy.jpg
    2013-01-12_13-08-21_205_edited_resized - Copy.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 397
Reactions: Blckshdw

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I did mine two years ago and have had no problems. Ill post some pictures and a better how to on this thread in a little bit Ill go take some pics.

there are a few ways you can do it. this is how I did mine.

1 All I needed were compression fittings the hosing that came with my cooler pipe thread sealant and clamps for the hoses.
2 I cut the in and out trans cooler lines on my 04 envoy shortly after the exit the stock cooler on the bottom of the radiator.
3. I used compression fittings on the places I cut and ran hoses to the aftermarket cooler. I would take the piping piece you cut out to the store to be sure to get the right size compression fittings.

View attachment 11787

I mounted mine here:

View attachment 11791

Here are is another persons method from above
View attachment 11788

Those pictures help a lot, where can I get those compression fittings? And also is the top line the return line from the stock cooler to the transmission when I look from underneath?

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
blackout51 said:
Those pictures help a lot, where can I get those compression fittings? And also is the top line the return line from the stock cooler to the transmission when I look from underneath?

no problem. compression fittings I got at lowes for a couple bucks each and when I get home on my computer ill answer your other question

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Great info Cone!! :thumbsup:

to the OP, i would advise to do some research on flushing the tranny... i would suggest to do a pan drop and filter change... it has been heavily debated that fully flushing a 100,xxx plus mile tranny will do more harm then good... and visa versa...

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Great info Cone!! :thumbsup:

to the OP, i would advise to do some research on flushing the tranny... i would suggest to do a pan drop and filter change... it has been heavily debated that fully flushing a 100,xxx plus mile tranny will do more harm then good... and visa versa...

Yeah I have heard that too, the last time I had my filter changed I had a pan with drain plug installed so when I wanna do it myself it won't be so messy, I have been reading that if I drain the pan and add the lost quarts then a little later do the same thing then I should have added about 80% new fluid without flushing it out, is there any truth to this?

- - - Updated - - -

ConeKilrAutoX said:
no problem. compression fittings I got at lowes for a couple bucks each and when I get home on my computer ill answer your other question

Alright sounds good, thanks for all the help by the way

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
blackout51 said:
Alright sounds good, thanks for all the help by the way

No problem I am more than happy to help out! here are the pics I hope this helps

View attachment 25918
the blue can be left alone as only on line needs cut and sent to the cooler.

View attachment 25917 blue heads UP and then back to trans as seen in photo 1

Attachments

• Copy of 2013-01-17_15-05-42_359_resized.jpg
    Copy of 2013-01-17_15-05-42_359_resized.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 61

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
if you want a plug-and-play solution, pcmforless sells fittings that plug into the quick release line and socket that screw into barb fittings. no cutting

not saying the compression fittings are bad, just not foolproof for a novice

Dec 4, 2011
blackout51 said:

I installed mine where the other poster show, so this is how it fits. I also believe bigger is better.

My tranny cooler hook up with pics - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I thought you'd want to put the cooler on the return line to the transmission to get it the coolest? Or does that potentially make the fluid too cool in the winter?

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Sparky said:
I thought you'd want to put the cooler on the return line to the transmission to get it the coolest? Or does that potentially make the fluid too cool in the winter?

Great point Sparky. I know extremely hot and extremely cold oil is very bad but for the trans cooler either way it is routed I dont think it will get too cold.

I still see temps on mine around 140-160F in both extreme heat (100+ deg F) and extreme cold (-5 deg F).

I have never had an issue and I have a very large cooler 11"w X 17"h and it seems to be fine after 2 years. It is definitely an advantage in the summer when temps like last year were at 100 deg F often and the oil would reach 200F+ at a stand still but then once I started driving it would go back down to 175 deg F or lower.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
jimmyjam said:
if you want a plug-and-play solution, pcmforless sells fittings that plug into the quick release line and socket that screw into barb fittings. no cutting

That sounds more like what I'd want, if I can avoid cutting I'd prefer it, do you have a link? I tried searching a little but really am not 100% sure what I'm looking for

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
jimmyjam said:

GM Quick Connect Oil Fittings

Are these what you were talking about?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
no.. you unplug the pipe from the radiator, you plug the cooler into the radiator, and the end of the pipe

that picture only shows one fitting, it actually comes witih two fittings, male and female, like it says in the description

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
jimmyjam said:

I've seen that fitting at a number of places that sell granny coolers too. If you search for the cooler by make and model it usually lists the adaptor as an accessory for GMs. All that I have seen have been straight through designs.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Mark20 said:
I've seen that fitting at a number of places that sell granny coolers too. If you search for the cooler by make and model it usually lists the adaptor as an accessory for GMs. All that I have seen have been straight through designs.

I didn't see a straight through one on that website, it seems like that'd be more what I'm looking for, where did you say you saw those?

- - - Updated - - -

jimmyjam said:
no.. you unplug the pipe from the radiator, you plug the cooler into the radiator, and the end of the pipe

that picture only shows one fitting, it actually comes witih two fittings, male and female, like it says in the description

So the second fitting plugs into the connect point on the frame rail inside the engine bay?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I think eTrailer.com has the fitting(s) in addition to tranny coolers.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Mark20 said:
I think eTrailer.com has the fitting(s) in addition to tranny coolers.

Ok I found them, those should work perfect. But my next question is where should I install the cooler? Line coming into or leaving the transmission? I live in Missouri so I get both extremely hot and extremely cold at times

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I say on out side of stock cooler in radiator. If you find its cooling too much in the winter, you can put a piece of cardboard over the external cooler and take it off in the summer to get rid of the extra heat.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Mark20 said:
I say on out side of stock cooler in radiator. If you find its cooling too much in the winter, you can put a piece of cardboard over the external cooler and take it off in the summer to get rid of the extra heat.

That's what I was thinking, I mean I'd say its over 100 degrees more then its under 20 degrees

03ltz

Feb 1, 2013
Mark20 said:

I have to agree with you, seems like it would be more effecient. i would think most of the time external cooler would work better than the stock setup:undecided:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I do notice my Silverado's tranny runs cool in the winter when not towing - I assume - due to the external cooler. I haven't done the cover up thing to see how much the temperature increases.

There is also a device that senses the temperature and if too cold, bypasses the external cooler.

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:

There is also plate stacked coolers that bypass the flow if the fluid is too thick.

B&M 70268 SuperCooler is the one I picked up, winter temps are around 170F, ambient is 20F, summer it stays around 175F with ambient in the 70s-90sF driving 35" tires, prior to the cooler temps were upwards of 250-270F.

From the B&M site, "The unit monitors resistance to flow by allowing a controlled amount of ATF to pass through a self-regulating orifice. Controlled by viscosity, thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two bypass openings in the stacked plate core, while thinner ATF is directed through the core to cool as operating temperatures increase."

Install took about an hour, including a run to home depot for the compression fittings, first time installers I'd suggest the quick connects, the compression fittings are a little difficult to work with, plus returning it to stock is just disconnecting the fittings and reconnecting the stock lines in their place. My flow goes from the trans to the stock cooler in the radiator, to the B&M cooler, then back to the trans

Installed on the passenger side
Transcooler.JPG

View through the passenger wheel well
Transconnect.JPG

silvertb4x4

Jan 29, 2012
So the bottom trans line is the return that goes to the transmission? Which line is going into the radiator and out of the radiator? I want to hook up a trans cooler to the outlet of the radiator.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Outlet is on the driver side of the radiator

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
plaen said:
There is also plate stacked coolers that bypass the flow if the fluid is too thick.

B&M 70268 SuperCooler is the one I picked up, winter temps are around 170F, ambient is 20F, summer it stays around 175F with ambient in the 70s-90sF driving 35" tires, prior to the cooler temps were upwards of 250-270F.

From the B&M site, "The unit monitors resistance to flow by allowing a controlled amount of ATF to pass through a self-regulating orifice. Controlled by viscosity, thicker ATF is returned directly to lube through two bypass openings in the stacked plate core, while thinner ATF is directed through the core to cool as operating temperatures increase."

Install took about an hour, including a run to home depot for the compression fittings, first time installers I'd suggest the quick connects, the compression fittings are a little difficult to work with, plus returning it to stock is just disconnecting the fittings and reconnecting the stock lines in their place. My flow goes from the trans to the stock cooler in the radiator, to the B&M cooler, then back to the trans

Installed on the passenger side
Transcooler.JPG

View through the passenger wheel well
Transconnect.JPG
I went with the same cooler, but I am wondering how you ran your lines from the radiator to and from your aux cooler. With the aux inlet and outlet facing up, and the cold return line at the bottom, drivers side, that seems like a lot of hose with a lot of places to rub. Just wondering. I will be doing this project this weekend, so i am curious. thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online