Installing aftermarket tweeters in the OEM bose dash location

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
My non bose Trailblazer had cardboard "blanks" in the dash where the bose speakers would be if it had bose.

First, I made a cardboard prototype for tweeter placement and test fitting
98e69d9d.jpg

I used 1/4" wood for the final version
696d86a9.jpg

Since RF didn't give a spec, I had to improvise
da87f467.jpg

112b07d9.jpg

Its easier to drill all the holes while the wood is still one big piece, then jig the plates out
ab74e7c4.jpg

Test fit
fa6d6efc.jpg

Painted (if you leave the wood raw, it can be seen at certain angles - not a big deal to some people, but worth mentioning)
14c02477.jpg

Installed (I later found that missing bolt)
ece2035b.jpg

Finished pic
4e89d5e1.jpg

NOTE: If you don't have the bose system, there are NO speaker leads in the dash. You will have to run them yourself.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Damnit, something else to go on my mod list down the road. Thanks Drew!! :hissyfit:

armymp90099

Dec 7, 2011
I fortunately and unfortunately had the bose system. This mod for non bose is a MUST! Drastically improves sound in the vehicle1!

armymp90099

Dec 7, 2011
They look like an earlier model Rockford Fosgate either PRIME series or Punch Series.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Damnit, something else to go on my mod list down the road. Thanks Drew!! :hissyfit:

Consider it paybacks for the things that you inspired me to add to my list!:biggrin:

armymp90099 said:
I fortunately and unfortunately had the bose system. This mod for non bose is a MUST! Drastically improves sound in the vehicle1!

Heck yeah. Us non bose owners have the tweets down in the door pods. My legs blocked the one on the drivers side and if I had a front seat passenger they'd do the same to the passenger side.

TXBlazer said:
Excellent Write up, Thanks Drew!!! I'm gonna have to do this for Gails TB now. What speakers did you use???

Those tweets were included with the Rockford Fosgate T162S component set (from their 2008 lineup). I think the RF T1652-S is the now-a-day equivalent. :cool:

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Consider it paybacks for the things that you inspired me to add to my list!:biggrin:

Heck yeah. Us non bose owners have the tweets down in the door pods. My legs blocked the one on the drivers side and if I had a front seat passenger they'd do the same to the passenger side.

Those tweets were included with the Rockford Fosgate T162S component set (from their 2008 lineup). I think the RF T1652-S is the now-a-day equivalent. :cool:

May May May.... always another project. I don't know how you can hear tweeters at all in your TB.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Ghoster said:
May May May.... always another project. I don't know how you can hear tweeters at all in your TB.

I ride with my face pushed into the dash:cool:

Also I'm digging the new tags:rotfl:

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
I went with Infinity reference 3.5'' speakers in the dash. These things can SCREAM! you can defiantly hear them. I prefer the sound of a small full range speaker for my highs. I went with a nice component set in my civic and I honestly wasn't all to impressed with them. The tweeters seemed to peak some times at real high volumes and they sounded a little tinny at other times.

These Infinity speakers sound great at any volume. They match my 6.5" Infinity door speakers :cool:

View attachment 17011

Attachments

• speaker pic.jpg
    speaker pic.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 36

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
One of these days I am going to get around to ripping out the Bose system, this is certainly part of the speaker upgrade plans! Thanks for posting.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I thought about putting tweeters there, but I've also heard that reflecting the sound off the windshield can actually sound a bit funny. So I'm looking into mounting a set on the little triangles on the doors just above the dash (my friend's cobalt SS with the Pioneer system has them there) but I'm not sure how to go about doing the mounting.

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
I thought about putting tweeters there, but I've also heard that reflecting the sound off the windshield can actually sound a bit funny. So I'm looking into mounting a set on the little triangles on the doors just above the dash (my friend's cobalt SS with the Pioneer system has them there) but I'm not sure how to go about doing the mounting.

The sound reflecting off the windshield doesn't sound "a bit funny" what so ever. Its funny you talk about about a cobalt SS.. My friend has the 2006 Cobalt SS 2.4 N/A with the Pioneer package with a 10'' factory sub and he switched his interior speakers with the infinity. They sounded exactly the same except at real high volume. The infinity were a little clearer when the music was louder, but not by much. he was the reason why I wanted a better sound system. My factory radio sounded like garbage in comparison to his and now, mine completely blows his away. I absolutely love driving around in my car with this setup.

If anything, remove the factory tweeter in the factory location (just above the factory speaker, in the door) and run the wire to an aftermarket one in the triangle spot on the door, but still add the dash speakers as well. These 3.5" are perfect for the dash. I might have to move my tweeter location in the future now that you've put the idea in my head.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah my friend's Cobalt SS showed me how lame my audio is in my truck as well heh.

If I figure out a good way to mount tweeters there on those triangle areas without it looking weird I'll let you know (unless you beat me to it, which is is likely).

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Joe D 04 said:
I went with Infinity reference 3.5'' speakers in the dash. These things can SCREAM! you can defiantly hear them. I prefer the sound of a small full range speaker for my highs. I went with a nice component set in my civic and I honestly wasn't all to impressed with them. The tweeters seemed to peak some times at real high volumes and they sounded a little tinny at other times.

These Infinity speakers sound great at any volume. They match my 6.5" Infinity door speakers :cool:

View attachment 1195

I am curious, how did you wire your speakers up since you have full range in dash and full range in the door? Just split the front wire from the head unit/amp into two sets of wires going to each of the two speakers? Or is there some sort of crossover in there somewhere?

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
Lima Tango said:
I am curious, how did you wire your speakers up since you have full range in dash and full range in the door? Just split the front wire from the head unit/amp into two sets of wires going to each of the two speakers? Or is there some sort of crossover in there somewhere?

I just went ahead and split the signal. My left front dash speakers shares my left front door speakers signal, and my right shares with the right. It sounded great so I left it the way it is. I still get plenty of sound from my door speakers and my dash speakers scream. I was going to run a crossover but decided not to. I have a real nice set of component speakers in my civic that were $250 and I'm honestly not impressed with them for that kind of money. They have the tweeter, 6.5" woofer, and the crossover to split the signal (Highs to the tweeter and lows to the 6.5" woofer). The set up in my trailblazer honestly sounds better with the $100 door speakers and the $75 dash speakers. If your worried about loosing power, then just unhook the little factory tweeters inside the front door panels. They're right above the 6.5" speaker location in the non-Bose models.

I was (and still am) planning on doing a "how to" as a reply to this thread with how I did mine, but I've been busy with work and getting through the holidays. Probably in another week.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
MAY03LT said:
Installed (I later found that missing bolt)
ece2035b.jpg

Are skittles are requirement of the build?

Looking good. Now I have the Bose system, do I have to do anything special for replacing my front speakers?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Brian,

With the bose system, they are actually 3/3.5" 2-way speakers. If you want tweeters only, you'll have to make the plate like Drew did.

Black LT

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
Brian,

With the bose system, they are actually 3/3.5" 2-way speakers. If you want tweeters only, you'll have to make the plate like Drew did.

Not in my 05. This is what was in. Required a good bit of trimming to get a 3.5 in.
IMG_3142Small.jpg

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
TollKeeper said:
Are skittles are requirement of the build?

Looking good. Now I have the Bose system, do I have to do anything special for replacing my front speakers?

Just the red ones, they are the best!:cool:

Some of the guys with bose have made the same plates to accommodate regular tweets. I'm guessing they flip the bose speaker upside down and trace out the pattern to get the shape and screw locations.

cxkali

Jan 20, 2012
just replaced the front door speakers in my envoy, it has the bose system im not goona lie but it was abit tricky. tomorrow is the back ones

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Black LT said:
Not in my 05. This is what was in. Required a good bit of trimming to get a 3.5 in.
IMG_3142Small.jpg

OK...they liked changing things from year to year.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online