Installed cheap lift having "issues"

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
Hello all, over the weekend I installed the cheapo 3 inch eBay lift you know the one were not supposed to install that mount on top of the strut mount. I know I should've gotten mark's lift but my wife got it for my birthday for me and I didn't want to say no this wasn't what I wanted but here I am and I'm in trouble now.

So, I have an 07 tb with 66000 miles its 4wd the lift in general was a pain to install because the lower control arms were maxed out and I had to put load on the bottom pivot to even get the strut assembly back on. I got it all on and it looked great but... Now I have a binding issue with the front end it is creating a vibration in the front and it sounds like I have m/t tires even though I'm still using regular a/t. I turned the 4wd on in my muddy lot behind my store made a couple turns and the binding won't even let me lock the wheel left or right, won' t turn that back on till problems fixed. I'm guessing it the cv shafts but the angles look good nothing too out of wack. Nothing leaking that I see either, fluid level is good, I didn't get it aligned though maybe camber angle making the truck push with negative camber but I flipped the uca s and the spindles are almost straight up levels a little off but not much.

In the end I'm stupid for installing this style lift to begin with but here I am and I'm asking you guys here on the site to please.... Please... Help a fellow tb out and help me figure out what my issue is.
Thanks ahead of time, cris.
 

Opeth

Member
Mar 25, 2012
177
Sounds like you already know what the problem is.... If you can feel the inner tripod binding with the truck in the air, that lift spacer is the problem.
 

cody_s

Member
Dec 6, 2011
625
Atlanta, GA
I know it's hard to say the lift isn't the right kind when you received it as a gift, but when your options are between potentially hurting feelings (which I'm fairly certain she'd understand) and putting yourself and others in a potentially risky situation if something fails, I'd opt for explaining to her the differences in the lifts.
 

markmc

Member
Nov 20, 2011
161
Be sure to express your gratitude for such a thoughtful gift that most husbands would be ecstatic to receive from their wife or better half.
i would suggest removing the front lift asap as the damage could be expensive to repair..might be to late anyway..

That kit is known as the Kuwaiti death trap..
Your safety is my concern. If a upper ball joint fails.. the result could be fatal!

i have the parts in stock that you need..
 

cody_s

Member
Dec 6, 2011
625
Atlanta, GA
markmc said:
Be sure to express your gratitude for such a thoughtful gift that most husbands would be ecstatic to receive from their wife or better half.

Yes, definitely should have said that in my reply as well, definitely express gratitude for it, that is quite the gift to receive from a wife :smile:
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
She may beable to get her money back to if she explains to seller that the lift removes the 4x4 functionality. I would be returning it asap.
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah me and my wife have had a tough year and this was one of those "try to make it better" gifts also being my birthday gift. I'm goin to take the lift off but yeah ima have to wait till this afternoon hopefully trucks gonna have a hell of a rake:rotfl:.
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Definitely express your gratitude. Being a woman I know how it feels to screw up your husbands gift, my husband was always grateful no matter how horrible the gift was lol It made screwing up a little easier to handle. I would explain to her how this product can be fatal when it malfunctions. If she can get a refund let her decide what to do with it, whether its a lift from Mark or a nice dinner. Good luck!
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
honestly unless a guy gives his wife a link to what he wants, it is really hard to buy us something that deals with our tools or toys.
It would be kind of like my wife asking me to buy her makeup.

It has gotten to the point that my wife and I usually take each other shopping for our gifts.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
navigator said:
It has gotten to the point that my wife and I usually take each other shopping for our gifts.
After 39 years, we know each others wish lists pretty well, but there's always double-secret items whose purchase can't be outsourced. So what we do for 1-2 gifts a year is to just give the other one permission to go get whatever it is.
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
Well thanks for all the words of wisdom in all respects guys and gals! If there are any take-aways from my endevor it is to warn any one on the site newb or long time member DO NOT buy the cheap junk lifts that are sold on ebay. We will be gettin the money back on the lift so good news there! I will keep everyone posted if anytbing ended up badly damaged and ive already come into contact with markmc to get a legit lift.
Thanks again, cris:thumbsup:
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
cjceg1985 said:
Well thanks for all the words of wisdom in all respects guys and gals! If there are any take-aways from my endevor it is to warn any one on the site newb or long time member DO NOT buy the cheap junk lifts that are sold on ebay. We will be gettin the money back on the lift so good news there! I will keep everyone posted if anytbing ended up badly damaged and ive already come into contact with markmc to get a legit lift.
Thanks again, cris:thumbsup:

Good call there, if someone needs a less expensive lift either use Mark's 2.5 lift($165 shipped) or the Rough Country lift($129+shipping).
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
Well i took the lift off and im still having the vibration issue. But it not as bad now. It starts at about 10-15 mph and settles down about 40-45 mph. Im guessing the axles are shot now. The odd thing is it subsides when i coast or if im off the gas, again id guess the axles. Feel free to chime in guys. Thanks
 

Opeth

Member
Mar 25, 2012
177
Are you feeling the vibrations in the steering wheel or in the seat? If your getting the vibs in your seat and if your rear end is still lifted the u joints are in a new angle ( new wear pattern). If even one of the u joint cups is dry or loose it can create a vibration. I have slight vibs I feel both in my seat and steering wheel when I accelerate around 25-45mph and are torque related. I have 80k original miles on my shafts and joints, when they fail Or vibs get worse I will swap em out. Plus you may have also whacked something out of alignment tearing the front end apart and need an alignment.

Just a couple possibilities.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Pull the front shafts and see if vibe goes away. I doubt you hurt them...
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
You might be right about the u-joints ill have to check them i have been hearing a "dunk" noice on acceleration from a stop.:biggrin: qnd yeah its in the wheel and seat.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
cjceg1985 said:
You might be right about the u-joints ill have to check them i have been hearing a "dunk" noice on acceleration from a stop.:biggrin: qnd yeah its in the wheel and seat.

I bet it is. To get out ujoint you need a torch...
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
You really think ill need a torch, were talkin cutting torch? I use a 10 lb sluggo seems to get the job done usually:thumbsup:. Well c ill check em out tonight.
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
the roadie said:
If you pull the CV shafts out and want to drive for a while, use the traditional hole seals (gatorade caps) to keep the diff fluid in and road grit out of the splined disconnect.

diffseal1.jpg

Thats awesome theyre should be a tbread of lil cheater tips like that if there isnt one already.:yes:
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
cjceg1985 said:
You really think ill need a torch, were talkin cutting torch? I use a 10 lb sluggo seems to get the job done usually:thumbsup:. Well c ill check em out tonight.

Just a lil torch not a cutting. Have to melt plastic from cap to remove factory joint.
 

anthonyl79

Member
Jul 15, 2012
127
Colorado
cjceg1985 said:
Thats awesome theyre should be a tbread of lil cheater tips like that if there isnt one already.:yes:

I know that GM was using nylon to lock the ujoint caps in. You needed a torch to melt the nylon out. You can beat it with a big hammer but you will damage the yolk. All you need is a small torck to dod plumbing with. Just heat it and the nylon melts away. Not sure if they did that on our platform but they did do it on a lot of their other platforms.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
anthonyl79 said:
I know that GM was using nylon to lock the ujoint caps in. You needed a torch to melt the nylon out. You can beat it with a big hammer but you will damage the yolk. All you need is a small torck to dod plumbing with. Just heat it and the nylon melts away. Not sure if they did that on our platform but they did do it on a lot of their other platforms.

They did.
 

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Member
Apr 4, 2012
78
the roadie said:
If you pull the CV shafts out and want to drive for a while, use the traditional hole seals (gatorade caps) to keep the diff fluid in and road grit out of the splined disconnect.

diffseal1.jpg

now this is some real redneck stuff ther.. pay attetion kids!!:rotfl: but one hell of an idea!!
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
now this is some real redneck stuff ther..
Roadie.....? redneck......? One of these doesn't belong with the other. :rotfl:

That's a highly engineered trail workaround to get back to pavement across 20 miles of nasty rutty rocks.

Actually, my buddy Teebes had the Gatorade and made the connection. I had nothing that would fit quite as well, and was considering whittling down a chunk of wood. That would have been redneck. Now that exact cap is in my permanent kit of on-board spares. :thumbsup:
 

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Member
Apr 4, 2012
78
the roadie said:
Roadie.....? redneck......? One of these doesn't belong with the other. :rotfl:

That's a highly engineered trail workaround to get back to pavement across 20 miles of nasty rutty rocks.

Actually, my buddy Teebes had the Gatorade and made the connection. I had nothing that would fit quite as well, and was considering whittling down a chunk of wood. That would have been redneck. Now that exact cap is in my permanent kit of on-board spares. :thumbsup:

impressive.. desperation is the reason for inventivness . :thumbsup:
 

cjceg1985

Original poster
Member
Dec 8, 2011
73
So... I got mark's lift and installed it much better quality than the pos I had before. I also had new u-joints installed in the rear shaft to try to get rid of the vibration I've been experiencing, no good this there. I'm still guessing Its the cv axles once I get paid next I'll be goin to o'reilys for them.

I did the wheel spin trick but there is no binding also drove through a grassy lot after sun up the other day and I can lock the wheel in 4x4 without and issues unlike before when I felt it binding.

Looks like the next step is to get the hub spacers and order my thread wrights, thinking about the pumas, how are they on the highway haven't seen a post listing how they are on the highway.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Honestly if I get Treadwrights I'd go for the Wardens myself (BFG-style tread that has a good rep).
 

Short Bus

Member
Dec 2, 2011
1,906
What size tires are you getting? I didn't see the pumas in a size that's commonly used with spacers.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,330
Posts
637,984
Members
18,532
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online