Inside Rearview Mirror Bracket - I'm an idiot

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I've been struggling with mounting my rearview mirror. It fell off a few months ago, ripping a piece of glass off with it. I tried to glue it back on exactly where it fell off with various glues and it never stays on for more than a few weeks. I recently tried a new strategy by sanding the metal inside mirror bracket flat and glueing it to a new location. That seems to work better but it still fell off. Any tips?

Second, the last time it fell off was a few days ago and now I can't find the little metal part - the "inside mirror bracket". GM dealer wants $20 for it. Amazon sells Dorman #76864 for $7 that comes with three slightly different ones, one of which should fit (hopefully). Anyone have experience with this? I just don't feel like spending $20 for a little piece of metal.

Thanks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I have no experience with the metal pieces, but there is only one choice for glue (rear view mirror adhesive). Not sure what you're using for your experiments. Or if you're adhering :wink: to the installation instructions very carefully when they specify an application temperature and cure time before putting the mirror back on the bracket. All of that is critical.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online