I'm Getting RPM fluctuation at highway speeds maybe TCC Lock-up?

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
171,000 miles did a fluid and filter change an it made no difference, I used Castrol TransMax fluid.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
What other maintenance was done on the tranny over the years? Was it regular and by the book, or was this the first time it was touched?

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
I'm not sure sounds bad i know. The fluid was black, It was jerking with the rpm fluctuation before the fluid change I'm posting a vid to youtube

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
I bought it used, The chevy dealer refused to do a flush on the tranny because i did not have proof of the maint. records.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The dealer didn't want to be blamed for the inevitable failure.

But surely there are other competent independent mechanics who will do what the customer asks? Dealers cannot be trusted, it seems, even when they DON'T do a job. If they lie about why they won't do it.

Too bad.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
KNBlazer said:
I had rpms bouncing at around 2k ... ended up needing a rebuild at 188k miles...
you had the whole tranny rebuilt? what was the cost? mine shifts perfect still and no slipping when you floor it

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
The_Roadie said:
The dealer didn't want to be blamed for the inevitable failure.

But surely there are other competent independent mechanics who will do what the customer asks? Dealers cannot be trusted, it seems, even when they DON'T do a job. If they lie about why they won't do it.

Too bad.
So what would you recommend i do then?

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Mike w said:
you had the whole tranny rebuilt? what was the cost? mine shifts perfect still and no slipping when you floor it
I had a flare as well... ended up being a bad pump, sunshell, 3-4 clutch pack... $2600 with new converter and 3yr/100k mile nationwide warranty...

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
The flare I had for almost 30k miles, the fluctuating RPM not very long, probably less than 3k... I had it checked by 2 different shops, both said same thing...Something has failed internally...

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
KNBlazer said:
I had a flare as well... ended up being a bad pump, sunshell, 3-4 clutch pack... $2600 with new converter and 3yr/100k mile nationwide warranty...
Flare? sorry you lost me on that. 2600 is pretty resonable

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Take it to a competent independent transmission shop, tell them the whole history, and start saving.

Sometimes, I've read about multiple flushes with new proper fluid can recover functionality. Only a professional who can lay their hands on it can tell for sure. On a forum all we could do is guess.

For the benefit of future readers (not trying to rub it in - I know you feel badly) - THIS is another reason for a competent pre-purchase inspection. WIthout knowing the problems that a previous owner might be trying to fob off on you, you can't have any idea of a fair price to offer to compensate YOU for the risk of ignored maintenance you might be assuming.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
The_Roadie said:
Take it to a competent independent transmission shop, tell them the whole history, and start saving.

Sometimes, I've read about multiple flushes with new proper fluid can recover functionality. Only a professional who can lay their hands on it can tell for sure. On a forum all we could do is guess.

For the benefit of future readers (not trying to rub it in - I know you feel badly) - THIS is another reason for a competent pre-purchase inspection. WIthout knowing the problems that a previous owner might be trying to fob off on you, you can't have any idea of a fair price to offer to compensate YOU for the risk of ignored maintenance you might be assuming.
Will do. I should have looked it over better.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tikQSOhtmmc&feature=youtu.be

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
Wait... how much fluctuation are you talking? After it settles into TC lockup, it doesn't fluctuate more than 75-125 RPM'S. Your video looks normal to me besides the Airbag lite... :undecided: mine (and every other auto trans vehicle I've driven) does the same...

Reactions: Matt

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
RayGumm said:
Wait... how much fluctuation are you talking? After it settles into TC lockup, it doesn't fluctuate more than 75-125 RPM'S. Your video looks normal to me besides the Airbag lite... :undecided: mine (and every other auto trans vehicle I've driven) does the same...
yes just what you see in the video. it was jerking a bit but after the fluid change the jerking cleared

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
RayGumm said:
:iagree:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Seems OK then

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
well, mine doesn't bounce the 50-100 rpm as in the video.... I set my CC at 70 and Tach stays solid at 2k.... I would call around and see if a local Tranny shop, other than AAmco offers free diagnostics....

SirRobin53

Apr 27, 2014
1800 for my rebuild at 228.000. Sunshell wore out and TC lockup solonoid worn and leaking. Went in and out of lock at will........

Reactions: Mike w

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mine was doing the exact same thing I did the following ;

Corvette servo
New dex 6 fluid
Filter
Hayden 405 cooler

And a tune with the following;

Torque management disabled
Pressure 120%
Tcc lockup pwm disabled

Runs and drives great. Very solid

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Mike, I don't know your financial situation but this is what I would recommend....worst case, you get it rebuilt.

First of all, a pan drop and filter is about 1/4 of the total fluid capacity. What I would do is get another filter just to have it (deep pan) and check the fluid again...you will want to change the fluid again soon and maybe after the next change to replace the filter again.

Where did you get the filter and/or did you change it yourself?

What is the fluid level?

Did all this happen before the fluid change or after?

I would maybe wait on the flush since you don't know the history...could dislodge too much material clogging the filter.

When mine was at about 165K I had a very noticeable 2-3 flare and what had happened was the check balls pounded the separator plate so much that one actually pounded through, resulting in a pressure loss. This is very normal for these transmissions but when it happens is anyone's guess, depends on driving habits.

It looks as like the TCC is either slipping or the PWM control is erratic...or both. This could be either from debris or from a pressure loss.

What is your mechanical ability? When I removed my valve body the first time it gave me sweaty palms but wasn't bad at all, intimidating at first mainly because it is my daily driver but if you're organized it's not bad.

Before you take it in, lets see if we can figure it out.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sorry, I see that it was doing this prior.

Take it out again and put the shifter in 3rd, the TC should still lock and see if it still fluctuates.

Is it me or is this a normal lockup with the 3.42 or 3.73 ratio? I have the 4.10 so I can't say but it seems abrupt for a factory PWM control. Just something that made me think it could have previously had a PWM eliminator installed albeit incorrectly. I doubt it but it was just a thought.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
thanks for the replies fellas! Would a rebuilt valve body with transgo shift kit be of any help?

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
gmcman said:
Sorry, I see that it was doing this prior.

Take it out again and put the shifter in 3rd, the TC should still lock and see if it still fluctuates.

Is it me or is this a normal lockup with the 3.42 or 3.73 ratio? I have the 4.10 so I can't say but it seems abrupt for a factory PWM control. Just something that made me think it could have previously had a PWM eliminator installed albeit incorrectly. I doubt it but it was just a thought.
in 3rd it still did the fluctuation.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
gmcman said:
Mike, I don't know your financial situation but this is what I would recommend....worst case, you get it rebuilt.

First of all, a pan drop and filter is about 1/4 of the total fluid capacity. What I would do is get another filter just to have it (deep pan) and check the fluid again...you will want to change the fluid again soon and maybe after the next change to replace the filter again.

Where did you get the filter and/or did you change it yourself?

What is the fluid level?

Did all this happen before the fluid change or after?

I would maybe wait on the flush since you don't know the history...could dislodge too much material clogging the filter.

When mine was at about 165K I had a very noticeable 2-3 flare and what had happened was the check balls pounded the separator plate so much that one actually pounded through, resulting in a pressure loss. This is very normal for these transmissions but when it happens is anyone's guess, depends on driving habits.

It looks as like the TCC is either slipping or the PWM control is erratic...or both. This could be either from debris or from a pressure loss.

What is your mechanical ability? When I removed my valve body the first time it gave me sweaty palms but wasn't bad at all, intimidating at first mainly because it is my daily driver but if you're organized it's not bad.

Before you take it in, lets see if we can figure it out.
That's what i was thinking as well. I have done successful motor swaps, and such i am pretty good at mechanical work i learned its all about patience.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
In your case it will be a crap shoot since we don't know the condition of the clutches. However the vette servo and the Sonam super hold can be swapped later if needed.

What I would recommend is to get the Transgo TCC PWM eliminator valve and the vette servo. I personally don't like to go with a shift kit since it's more work to undo. ..even though most people leave them in.

I would also get a new separator plate from the dealer, I strongly recommend this against aftermarket....unless you contact Transgo.

Also get the Torlon check balls.

Torlon balls, vette servo, PWM eliminator, I would get from Pro Built Automatics.

New plate, from the dealer.

I would start here and should fix your issues, and extend the life of the trans if you don't have burned clutches.

Much cheaper than the alternative right now.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
gmcman said:
In your case it will be a crap shoot since we don't know the condition of the clutches. However the vette servo and the Sonam super hold can be swapped later if needed.

What I would recommend is to get the Transgo TCC PWM eliminator valve and the vette servo. I personally don't like to go with a shift kit since it's more work to undo. ..even though most people leave them in.

I would also get a new separator plate from the dealer, I strongly recommend this against aftermarket....unless you contact Transgo.

Also get the Torlon check balls.

Torlon balls, vette servo, PWM eliminator, I would get from Pro Built Automatics.

New plate, from the dealer.

I would start here and should fix your issues, and extend the life of the trans if you don't have burned clutches.

Much cheaper than the alternative right now.
ok ill do this and see what i gain out of it, ill keep updated worse case i need it rebuilt and i got a connection who will rebuild it for 800.00 i pull tranny though and
reinstall

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Well I'm going to install a rebuilt transmission and have the original rebuilt The cause of my problem was water intrusion the truck is jerking pretty bad at 60mph TC is shuddering too. found proof of the maintenance records which WERE up to date so no deferred maint. Do i need to do a relearn when installing a different trans? Any information/tips would be appreciated on the removal...

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
The trans is easy to remove with about 18" of extensions for the top 2 bolts. Install an aftermarket trans cooler, that is most likely where the water came from. I would reset the pcm. I would also install a corvette servo. $20 on eBay and 10 min to put in. :yes:

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
The trans is easy to remove with about 18" of extensions for the top 2 bolts. Install an aftermarket trans cooler, that is most likely where the water came from. I would reset the pcm. I would also install a corvette servo. $20 on eBay and 10 min to put in. :yes:
Thanks which aftermarket cooler? the trans i'm purchasing has trans go shift kit all new clutches new TC Heavy duty sunshell and sonnax sure hold. I will have the other one rebuilt or sell it as a core.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Something to consider, and I know I will likely do this when I ever replace my trans...is to look into an Edge converter. If you plan on keeping it for awhile then at least contact them directly. There is a science in regards to torque converters and these converters, while pricey, are very well thought out and AFAIK, they may even offer a slight increase in city mileage.

I would contact them for sure and at least get the scoop, has been a couple years since I did and the info may have changed.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would also find out what has been done in regards to a "shift kit" first before installing the vette servo. The Sonnax super hold which sounds like is already installed will increase the shift firmness where the vette servo would if the Sonnax wasn't there. Not to the same firmness but they work in conjunction...somewhat.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
gmcman said:
Something to consider, and I know I will likely do this when I ever replace my trans...is to look into an Edge converter. If you plan on keeping it for awhile then at least contact them directly. There is a science in regards to torque converters and these converters, while pricey, are very well thought out and AFAIK, they may even offer a slight increase in city mileage.

I would contact them for sure and at least get the scoop, has been a couple years since I did and the info may have changed.
I'll check into that anything that gives more mpg is worth it.

Mike w

Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
starting price is $400 not too bad.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online