NEED HELP Ignition switch?

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
4 times in the last 2 weeks, have had a no crank, no start issue.
a second turn of key will usually work. Each time this has happened, my clock on radio will reset to 12 am. Looking for help from the members of this forum.
is the ignition switch going bad? Or is it another issue to look at?
09 TB 169K , TIA

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
4 times in the last 2 weeks, have had a no crank, no start issue.
a second turn of key will usually work. Each time this has happened, my clock on radio will reset to 12 am. Looking for help from the members of this forum.
is the ignition switch going bad? Or is it another issue to look at?
09 TB 169K , TIA

Well one clue is the radio clock. The radio power is not routed through the ignition switch at all.

Do any other systems reset when this happens? Systems like the HVAC would cycle the actuators as a recalibration if there was a large enough voltage drop from something like a failing starter motor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Battery or its connections?

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Well one clue is the radio clock. The radio power is not routed through the ignition switch at all.

Do any other systems reset when this happens? Systems like the HVAC would cycle the actuators as a recalibration if there was a large enough voltage drop from something like a failing starter motor.
yes, the HVAC does recycle sometimes. have had trouble w/ starters in the past.
am on the 4th starter. (all under warranty)they seem to last about 20-21 months. current one is only 4 months old. hoping it was not the starter.

@Mooseman will double check connections, and have a load test done.

Reactions: Matt

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
update: hopefully solved.
since Jan. problem seemed to only arise on occasion, and 2nd or 3rd turn would do it.
over the last couple weeks, the no start has been happening more often, about every 5-6th start. and still on occasion, clock would reset, and HVAC cycle. pushing the cylinder all the way seemed to help for the most part.
so Saturday, replaced the Ignition switch. boy what a difference in the resistance to turning
the key.
per instructions of install, disconnected the Neg. terminal. noticed that that was loose, upon further inspection, the terminal threads were stripped. replaced the "tit" and now have a strong & secure connection.
for me , this explains the clock reset & HVAC cycle on occasion w/ the no start. also why my rear wiper would, out of nowhere, cycle. that has happened 3 times, that I noticed, who knows how many times it had done it.
have had at least 20 starts so far w/ no issues. currently @ 177,600 mi

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
update: hopefully solved.
since Jan. problem seemed to only arise on occasion, and 2nd or 3rd turn would do it.
over the last couple weeks, the no start has been happening more often, about every 5-6th start. and still on occasion, clock would reset, and HVAC cycle. pushing the cylinder all the way seemed to help for the most part.
so Saturday, replaced the Ignition switch. boy what a difference in the resistance to turning
the key.
per instructions of install, disconnected the Neg. terminal. noticed that that was loose, upon further inspection, the terminal threads were stripped. replaced the "tit" and now have a strong & secure connection.
for me , this explains the clock reset & HVAC cycle on occasion w/ the no start. also why my rear wiper would, out of nowhere, cycle. that has happened 3 times, that I noticed, who knows how many times it had done it.
have had at least 20 starts so far w/ no issues. currently @ 177,600 mi
Thanks for giving us the follow-up/resolution!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online