i messed up

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey I got stuck in a big hole sat night. I finally got pulled out sunday morning. Needless to say Ive got issues. I did check the oil it is not milky. But I have a leak on the front side of the engine. Where should I look first!? Any help is good help!!

jham

Nov 20, 2011
mudlight2 said:
Hey I got stuck in a big hole sat night. I finally got pulled out sunday morning. Needless to say Ive got issues. I did check the oil it is not milky. But I have a leak on the front side of the engine. Where should I look first!? Any help is good help!!

I am assuming that its an oil leak. I would clean the oil then run it to locate the leak and go from there

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I umderstand that and thanks for the reply. I guess im asking if any has had a leak on the front of thier engine. For any reason and what it was. Just to get a general idea. I was pushing it pretty hard. Trying to get out. Never redlined it tho. I hope its not a major seal or gasket.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Front main seal, timing cover, oil pressure switch, oil filter housing... could be any of those and more.

Pressure wash the motor and then watch it to localize the leak. Take pictures.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
mudlight2 said:
http://db.tt/774ECYvQ That should be the picture.

wow... you drove into that on purpose? You are going to have to do some major engine clean up and localize where the leak is. Just too many things that can leak on the front for us to be guessing at it.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Wow, you have some serious danglers to give that hole a try. Are you stock? You may want to invest in a lift and tires, and maybe a snorkel before going back in!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

JPZ

Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
Wow, you have some serious danglers to give that hole a try. Are you stock? You may want to invest in a lift and tires, and maybe a snorkel before going back in!

HMM he has a Liftmister decal.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well I have driven that route before. except it was daytime. It was night when I went thru this time. I regret ever goin down there now. I knew there were deep holes. just thought i could bob and weave. i was actually workin on turning around to leave. But didnt workout as planned. :-(

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Regulator said:

A 2 foot lift and monster truck tires for that hole. :rotfl:

That looks like he beat hydro-lock by 3 inches.

What color is the fluid leaking out? Are you sure it's oil?

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Im almost positive its oil. Its old oil color. I looked yesterday briefly. It was raining all day yesterday.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My front main has leaked for awhile. Since the first time I changed my waterpump. Not sure how your situation would cause that.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Could you describe where that would be sir? Not to familiar with all this. I might when all this is done tho!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ghoster said:
Maybe he needed a couple more!:biggrin:

Decals give you wings

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I love stickers! and redbull gives you wings! and bourbon and eggnog and bud light give you a big hole to get stuck in! Also I found the oil leak. It is the main seal! But how does that happen in this situation? Oh well I got work to do. :-/

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Let me know how it goes. I have not bothered with mine since it does not leak much and seems like a bitch to do.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well i will not be able to start till this weekend. Also gonna try and geta second opinion. I for sure saw a leak comin from behind the pulley.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
mudlight2 said:
Well i will not be able to start till this weekend. Also gonna try and geta second opinion. I for sure saw a leak comin from behind the pulley.

Pulley? Did you by chance turn the wheel while trying to get out of that slop at high RPMs? I bet your power steering pump might be taking a dump if so.

Replacement isn't hard at least.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
yes i tried everything to get out. and its not called the main seal. its the crankshaft seal.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
mudlight2 said:
yes i tried everything to get out. and its not called the main seal. its the crankshaft seal.

The crank has two seals... the rear and the front... AKA the rear main and front main seals.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Man it looks like that hole just jumped up an swallowed your truck.

I would almost guess your power steering pump is toast if you were cranking on it in that stuff.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
So I drove it to work today. Ihad to. Yes i put oil in it. Just went to see how much was dripping. and there are multiple spots on the ground. im hopin it was just drippin from where it was thrown everywhere whole driving. i kno i saw it leak from the seal. gonna try and get pics this evening. either way i think im screwed. cuz i got no money!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sucks, but you got to pay to play. At least no one got hurt!

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Got the oil leak fixed a couple months ago. But due the oil leaking on everything that spins on the belt. all that crap got messed up. so it sat in the driveway forever for birds to poop on. Finally got all that stuff fixed except for the fan clutch. everything was good. then on monday the fan decided to rip to shreds. took out some more stuff. so its back in the shop. but getting fixed again! should have it back this evening or tommorow i hope.

Feb 24, 2012
Once you get it back, use degreaser, anything available to clean the engine. Start from scratch and watch closely for new drips. It's damn near impossible to tell new from old if things are dirty.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Im goin to clean the hell out of it! Also I will be a mall crawler for quite a while I believe. Unless I wanna get a divorce.

Joshtradamus

Apr 22, 2012
A word of advice... you need to at least flush your front diff and your steering rack.. if water got in there and you dont flush it youve got more problems. if water got in there and you treat it quickly all should be good.

fishmkg

Jun 15, 2012
does anyone have a link to an engine diagram that shows both crankshaft seals? or part numbers? I have a similiar problem, not from dumping it into a pond :tongue: trying to change the harmonic balancer due to engine vibration, when harmonic balancer was put back on oil started coming out of crankshaft bolt. replaced the larger seal but we had suspected an inner seal when we took the bolt back out and a smaller piece of rubber came out with it, local mechanics and dealers are not much help.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online