HVAC Clicking in 2006 Envoy

EnvoyCruzer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
So I've been reading bunch of posts and still need some help on my HVAC. I have a 2006 Envoy SLT w/dual auto climate controls w/rear controls. Yesterday, I went to start my car (w/o any HVAC on) and heard this consistent loud clicking noise that would not stop. After some experimentation, I noticed that if I put it in Auto Temp Mode (AC, no heat cause it's hot where I live!), I get clicking, then if I turn the HVAC off the clicking starts. I put it full blast defrost mode, clicking disappears and I can turn it off w/o any clicking noise. Go back to Auto Temp Mode, no noise until I turn it off again. Gotta put it in defrost mode full blast for clicking to stop, then I can turn it off w/o the clicking noise coming on.

-Reading up, I think there are 5 actuators I have installed for my 2006 (Air Flow Mode, Recirc, Pass Temp, Driver Temp, Defrost). I'm thinking it's the Air Flow Mode actuator?? RockAuto has a bunch of different part numbers with a bunch of different names, but I'm assuming:

Air Flow Mode Act - 1573596
Recirc Act - 1573597
Pass Temp Act - 1573597
Driver Temp Act - 1573598
Defrost Act - 1573598

-If I replace whichever actuator, is there a specific sequence that needs to be followed for 2006 to ensure the actuator works properly (I've read several posts saying that it needs to be lined up a certain way, powered down a certain way, not powered up before phsyically installed, etc for earlier year models....)?

-Which ones need full dash removal to replace? Looking at a previous post schematic, it looks like the Recirc Actuator would be the toughest to replace.

Thanks for any help.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You can identify the actuators if you've seen my classic diagram that's been published about 400 times. Pull the electrical harness off the one you're suspicious of and see if the clicking stops.

People are generally way too anal about the replacement process. If it physically lines up on the shaft, it should work. Move the door axle if it doesn't. Don't power it up until it's physically installed. Then run the fuse-pull recalibration process, extensively discussed.

allactuators-orig.jpg

c good

Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:
You can identify the actuators if you've seen my classic diagram that's been published about 400 times. Pull the electrical harness off the one you're suspicious of and see if the clicking stops.

People are generally way too anal about the replacement process. If it physically lines up on the shaft, it should work. Move the door axle if it doesn't. Don't power it up until it's physically installed. Then run the fuse-pull recalibration process, extensively discussed.

allactuators-orig.jpg

THIS! Is awesome......but, I have to admit it has helped me out also. Thanks for your patience Roadie. :smile: c good

EnvoyCruzer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Thanks Roadie, as always super helpful. Pulled the harness off the Mode actuator and clicking gone. The thing clicks like crazy though went it's connected, any harm to the system having it disconnected until I get the new part in?

the roadie said:
If it physically lines up on the shaft, it should work. Move the door axle if it doesn't.

Is the white thing on the actuator the door axle?

EnvoyCruzer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Just replaced my mode actuator and now everything is all good. My new actuator came in the 11 o'clock position, I read several other peoples came in the 1 o'clock position. My vent door axle is spring loaded so I wouldn't have been able to adjust the axle to match the new actuator anyways, given the small amount of space I had to work in and my hands and arms were contorted to their max already. At least for 2006, I wouldn't adjust the new actuator position when you get it and it should just slide right onto the vent door axle. My old actuator was in the 1 o'clock position, and when I opened it up the largest gear had a missing tooth.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online