NEED HELP How to tell what speed transmission is.

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Need some help figuring this out. As I’m looking at vehicles I’m noticing something.
Had a 2020 elevation that is listed as a 10 speed. I read the car fax and saw the manufacturing sheet. I saw it had 8 speed listed. I looked over and see where they dropped it from a 10 to an 8 speed when they built it.
Double checked vin and vin said it was an 8 speed.
Using several vin decoders I started checking other vehicles.
Some don’t show the speed. And some end up showing true. And some show things like a 6 speed for a truck that is listed as having a 10 speed. And even an 8 speed when it’s listed as a 10 speed.

How can I verify accuracy of what transmission is in a vehicle.
When even vin decoder is brought into question. Cuz there can be no way so many dealerships are intentionally mislabeling the transmission.
I mean a 2022 gmc sierra slt is listed as a 10c but vin shows it as a 6. I don’t think the slt even come with a 6 speed option at that age

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You've likely encountered this ad hoc, but informative article during the course of your research... but...jik not, it is well worth perusing:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Who knows what dealers are thinking except maybe they're trying to hide the fact that the truck they're trying to sell has the garbage 8 speed tranny.

And the fact that there are no longer any RPO stickers since 2018 doesn't help. According to this other forum post, the replacement QR code can be read:

And found this Techlink article that has some recommended QR readers:

I know this doesn't help when shopping at a distance but at least this can help when checking in person.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
draphus55

Members Online

No members online now.