How to etch tools and metal

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
ChrisFix just posted a cool video on how to etch metal cheap and easy.

As I am getting older, I need to do this to my tools, LOL!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He is (was) a member here but hasn't posted anything since his last video regarding TrailBlazer related repairs. I am subbed too and watch his videos as well, even if it's for stuff I already know. Sometimes get some tips.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
His user name was dogfish246 but he hasn't logged on in over a year. I giess after he got his YouTube channel going, he didn't have time to post here and most people just sub to his channel.

He does make good vids! A lot better than that Eric guy and less annoying than Scotty. I actually stopped watching Scotty when he let calipers dangle by the brake line! Even as a 17 year old noob many years ago, I knew better than that.

Reactions: RTTBLT1

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I enjoy Erics videos as well but you can tell he's a mechanic. And his videos are that of a mechanic. Not so much informative but just him doing his thing. Chris's are more like how we would tell fellow enthusiasts to go about something.

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
ChrisFix is excellent for the less experienced crowd. etcg and sma are both great for those who have a clue but want to see it go down on a variety of vehicles. Scotty is for the coffee drinkers :2thumbsup:

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I subbed to Chris long ago. For sure before I got the SnowBlazer even. I will say Chris does do sponsor videos. I don't trust any of his product recommendations after his recommendation of Turtle Wax's Extreme Tire Shine (or something like that) though. That stuff was like black dye and really messed up the side of my tires. But hey, to each their own, he has to make money somewhere and who would pass up free stuff?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And let's not forget our very own @MAY03LT , where we can definitely say he's not in it for the money. They're good in their own right, geared towards the GMT enthusiasts but should come with an 18+ warning with the salty language :biggrin:.

With ETCG, the problem I have is we see to much of him talking rather than the work being done although his ETCG1 channel is interesting at times where there are no repairs done but comments on things related to the auto industry.

Scotty drives me absolutely batty. Not enough detail on most repairs and incorrect procedures. He completely pissed me off when he recommended putting HID bulbs in regular halogen housings.

ChrisFix you can see how he progressed. Look at his first videos and see how much he's changed but was always direct, to the point, no blah blah and directed to novices as well as enthusiasts.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea. @MAY03LT goes without saying around here.stumbled onto his channel when I first got the truck and wanted to do fluid services and plug change. I was hooked from there on.

Reactions: MAY03LT

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Screenshot (121).png

@Mooseman there is a small disclaimer in the 'about me' section, however with the upcoming revamping, everyone will get a fair warning ahead of time.

What can I say about other youtube channels. I know that I started mine based on so many of the audio guys on trailvoy getting outrageous labor quotes for an I6 alternator swap to a higher amperage alternator. Yeah, it looks intimidating when you first pop the hood, but not $400 intimidating (that was just the labor back in the 07-08 era). I showed them that even though it sucks, it's not that bad. I followed up with spark plugs, throttle body cleaning, you know the things on trailvoy that people were having problems with and couldn't get what we were saying based on a wall of text alone. Honestly I didn't expect anything from it, just helping fellow enthusiasts get their rides right just like I did on the forum. Plus, this was something that my wife and I could do together, which was awesome. We don't have many similar interests, so this was something that brought us closer together.

Four years (or so) later, they offered me partner. I wasn't on board at first because I was not going to change who I am (more on this later LOL) to appease some commercial ass suits. I didn't like any automotive shows on TV (minus monster garage) and with rules and regulations I felt that I would be what I didn't like, which is hypocritical. So I kept true to myself and I take pride on knowing that I didn't sell out.

Then it hit us. We didn't have extra income to fund the channel. Everything that I had done, from buying parts, to buying gas for driving to peoples houses, buying tools, everything was funded by me. We decided to accept partner, but only if the content would be unchanged. To date, every dime that the channel has made has gone right back into it. Despite what the internet says, youtube did not buy my tahoe, my modis, my snap on toolbox, nothing. The only thing that it did pay for that wasn't really car related was a HD camera and a pc that could do HD videos, and that was only because of the number of complaints from guys using phones/tablets who could have benefited from a bigger screen resolution. I don't ask for sponsors, I don't pay for views/ratings, I don't pay for advertising, I don't accept donations, and I don't fuck with patreon. All the giveaways were paid for by me.

The channels mentioned in this thread aren't about that. That one guy joins our forum and spams us with videos. Has he participated in any thread that didn't benefit him? Fuck no. Was he at the truck nationals helping other members? Fuck no. Is he about the people? Fuck no.

I was a fan of scotty until he worked under a car that was only supported by a jack. When he got called out for it, he insisted that he could get out fast enough if the jack failed. I know two people that were killed doing dumb shit like that. With as big of an audience that he has, he should have sucked it up and admitted that he was wrong. When lives are at risk, this is a big deal. He may have since then, but I haven't watched him in years so I wouldn't know.

Another one kept copying my content. If I get inspired from you guys you know that I ALWAYS give credit where it's due. I didn't discover TB cabin filters, and I told youtube that I didn't. I don't remember the guys name but it's still credited in the description. I put out a video on Saturday and by Wednesday the same topic is on his channel? Once or twice is a coincidence but 5-6 times says the guy is about as creative as an empty cup of coffee. In fact nothing is original about him even his name was taken from a guy who did science shows for little kids LOL.

People don't like my channel either and that's cool. I do what I want and based on the messages that I get, people are getting the information that they need and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

Anyway I have to stop while I'm ahead. Some of this was meant for the 16K subscriber special so that's a wrap.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
@MAY03LT Well thank you again either way for the Snap-On 3/8" ratchet/sockets that I won in a contest years ago. They've been quite nice to use :biggrin:

Reactions: RTTBLT1 and MAY03LT

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And you know we love ya!

Reactions: RTTBLT1 and MAY03LT

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I also like @MAY03LT & Chrisfix videos. Learned quite a bit from both. No b.s and spot on.

The first video I watched of @MAY03LT was the Trans Flush after I purchased my TB and when I got to the end and he said "I got to give credit where credit is due", I knew this was a good ole boy and someone I could relate to. That's why I don't get along with most guys my age or under, there all about i can do this better than you or that sort of crud and want credit for everything even though they didn't discover it or even do it.

I subscribed to both of there videos, :2thumbsup:
Nice work guys!

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
@MAY03LT Well thank you again either way for the Snap-On 3/8" ratchet/sockets that I won in a contest years ago. They've been quite nice to use :biggrin:

Nice! I think I remember saying something like "this guy will definitely use them." Better to see them used by a fellow diy-er then seeing them on ebay.

The first video I watched of @MAY03LT was the Trans Flush after I purchased my TB and when I got to the end and he said "I got to give credit where credit is due", I knew this was a good ole boy and someone I could relate to. That's why I don't get along with most guys my age or under, there all about i can do this better than you or that sort of crud and want credit for everything even though they didn't discover it or even do it.

Man I couldn't have said that better myself. In fact I quit my job on Friday due to management wanting to move me away from the older guys like myself and in with the younger crowd. I'm not in a competition with anyone when it comes to how fast or how much better someone is and I'll be damned if I'd listen to that shit for 40 hours a week LOL. I'll have more details on this in a few.

MAY03LT's videos were the first I'd seen of this platform. Before buying my Envoy I wanted to do a bit of research on the common problems/fixes and even just general maintenance so I knew what I was getting into. His stuff was the best for that and also what brought me here.

Awesome! I'm glad to see that it's bringing you guys here instead of that other site.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Nice! I think I remember saying something like "this guy will definitely use them." Better to see them used by a fellow diy-er then seeing them on ebay.

Man I couldn't have said that better myself. In fact I quit my job on Friday due to management wanting to move me away from the older guys like myself and in with the younger crowd. I'm not in a competition with anyone when it comes to how fast or how much better someone is and I'll be damned if I'd listen to that shit for 40 hours a week LOL. I'll have more details on this in a few.

Awesome! I'm glad to see that it's bringing you guys here instead of that other site.

I can totally understand that, I few of my friends has always been like this..."I've done this and that", "better than everyone doing this" and that sort of crud. I've put up with it cause these were friends I grew up with and I tend to stay to my roots, if you know what I'm saying.

I've never been one to go on about the things I've done or accomplished...never really been a "bragger", if I do/have i dont do it to make people feel like sh*t. That's just me and how I have always been. I'm a younger guy ya, but I love to learn new things from people that knows it better than I and when wrong I will knowledge that "I stand corrected" and move on. It's rare to find guys my age or younger that's this way and for that reason (and others), most of my friends are quite older than me. And I'm fine with that.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I can do stuff, but I sure ain't the best at most of it!

Unless it is my network at work. That's my job, my territory. Do NOT tell me how to run it lol. Suggestions are OK but beyond that don't push it, particularly if I say no :tongue:

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I owe so much to MAY03 and to ChrisFix , and I like Scotty and Eric as well.

If I had to rank them in terms of the video quality and presentation, ChrisFix is in the stratosphere, he explains the little things that most would take for granted but that a novice like me would not understand without the explanation.

For instance, how many times have I seen a video where the camera starts shooting a closeup under the vehicle.. I have no idea where exactly under the vehicle it is.. ChrisFix always starts with the basics, and then adds the details.

But they are all great, Scotty and Eric are very knowledgeable guys. I get the distinct impression that they know 10x more than their videos let on.

I also like the A1Autobody guy.. he had a few trailblazer videos that helped me.

May03, I think I owe so much to this guy for showing all of the key trailblazer maintenance items. I could never have done my transmission fluid replacement or my front differential refill if it were not for him. And yes indeed, that is one salty dog !!

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online