How much would you pay for this option?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
[video=youtube;-dvPZ3H1Vm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-dvPZ3H1Vm4[/video]

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I know some people who need that since they routinely drive with their high beams on all the time :mad:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Cool idea, but imagine what a pain in the ass it would be dealing with that system if it malfunctions. Driving around with some crazy cock-eyed headlights, pissing off everybody!! :crazy:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
audi led matrix lights more gooder

same thing without the moving parts

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Nice technology. I think it will be a trickle-down effect. One company pioneers the technology (luxury cars), a few companies copy the technology (regular cars), other companies make aftermarket technology (old cars). All the way reducing price. Soon, there will be an aftermarket kit for us that does the same thing. On that BMW, I would guess a $1,500 option.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
DJones said:
Nice technology. I think it will be a trickle-down effect. One company pioneers the technology (luxury cars), a few companies copy the technology (regular cars), other companies make aftermarket technology (old cars). All the way reducing price. Soon, there will be an aftermarket kit for us that does the same thing. On that BMW, I would guess a $1,500 option.

That about how everything else goes. Look at HID's and projector technology, new LED technology, etc.

When was the last time you priced Bimmer parts. My buddy just got raped for an O2 sensor for his, something in the neighborhood of $500 for the part and $400 for labor.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
That's a damn good idea I hate the glare from other vehicles especially those driving with high beams on :hissyfit:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
That about how everything else goes. Look at HID's and projector technology, new LED technology, etc.

When was the last time you priced Bimmer parts. My buddy just got raped for an O2 sensor for his, something in the neighborhood of $500 for the part and $400 for labor.

DAMN:eek: That's insane I guess if you buy luxury you'll pay luxury in service and parts :biggrin:

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
DJones said:

$1500? That's it? Sold!

blazinlow89 said:

Guy bought a BMW, pay a premium for car, going to pay for parts. Lambo owners don't gripe over a $15k brake job. :rotfl:
New a guy who drive with a burned out headlight in a 3series for months because "the dealer" wanted over a hundred for replacement. In the words of The Roadie.."it's not too expensive, you're too cheap!"

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
$1500? That's it? Sold!

Guy bought a BMW, pay a premium for car, going to pay for parts. Lambo owners don't gripe over a $15k brake job. :rotfl:
New a guy who drive with a burned out headlight in a 3series for months because "the dealer" wanted over a hundred for replacement. In the words of The Roadie.."it's not too expensive, you're too cheap!"

Most Lambo owners could probably fart $100 bills too.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
You can buy new BMW's with MSRP's under $50k. They're more expensive than any regular car, but not terribly priced.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
DJones said:
You can buy new BMW's with MSRP's under $50k. They're more expensive than any regular car, but not terribly priced.

You can get some new Mercedes the same price range. Its the replacement parts that are killer. That seems to be the trend with any Euro car though. Some parts for the Jetta make me cringe when I see the prices.

Although as an add on you could be right on the money.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UPDATE:

I found quite a bit of information from BMW USA, but no pricing on this. I did find out for $250 I can get automatic highbeams and night vision with pedestrian detection for $2,600. I can also get LED's with auto Hi's for $1,900. I also see that if I buy a 740xi and purchase the $800 cold weather package (heated seat/steering wheel) I can get a free ski bag! For $80K I think I'll buy the best AWD SS I can find in the states and spend the rest on lift tickets and gas while just throwing the snowstick(s) in the back with a blanket!

But no concrete pricing on the new "Intelligent Headlight Technology" BMW is touting... :confused:

jake 03

Jan 3, 2013
Cadillac has had those auto dimming led headlamps as an option on the Escalade since 2011.
Headlamp assemblies are 2600 bucks each:crazy:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Completely different technology. These do some fancy work with cameras and sensors and will split the beam around oncoming traffic, or cars in front of you.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Two thoughts. Some say the LEDs have a life of 20k hours? That doesn't seem very long with drl's. And most if not all of the vehicles with smart headlights would probably have an insurance claim pay for replacement? How many of us had to replace a headlight assembly that was not due to an accident or mod? Are quality and advanced lighting headlights worth 5% of the vehicle (est 2600 headlights on a $50k car)?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Its just the next step in headlight technology. Headlight lenses used to be fluted and now they are clear. Halogens have been replaced by HIDs. Stock reflector housings have been replaced by projectors. Then manufacturers (Cadillac, Volvo) added auto leveling projectors so you do not bling on coming traffic when going up and down hills. Also, the ability for the projector to turn as you turn the wheel.

Now that LEDs are becoming popular, their lumen output is increased, and combined with their 20k hour to 50k hour life span, this is the next logical step. I am sure at some point auto manufacturers will use an LED for every single bulb in a vehicle.

The fact that the headlight can sense on coming traffic and spilt the driver's side beam is awesome. Combine that with self adjusting high beams and that is one awesome headlight. The price is over the top, but like with any new products on the market, it will drop over time.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Two thoughts. Some say the LEDs have a life of 20k hours? That doesn't seem very long with drl's.
If you drove 4 hours a day, every single day, that's 5000 days. That's over 13 and a half years. I'm in the car a lot but not 5 hours a day 7 days a week.

Just had too much time and did the math.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli