how can I tell if I have an OLM?

mid30

Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Not sure if I have one or not. I change my oil 2 times a year. Granted I dont put allot of mile on my truck. I have had it 4 years and have only put 30,000 on it. I bought it with 21,000 and it now has 53,000. I use syn mobile 1 so I know I am not hitting the 7500 to 10,000 befor changing but was just wondering how I can tell if I have an olm (oil life monitoring)?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
it would help us out if you filled out your vehicle info properly... do you have an Envoy, TrailBlazer, Bravada, Rainier, etc... then do you have steering wheel controls? (radio, and cycle through DIC functions) if you have those, then chances are, you have the OLM...

then i think the only other way is if your Instrument cluster has a DIC in it.. like my SS is a 1SS (meaning it does not have steering wheel buttons, i cannot cycle through info such as MPG's, which tire is low, etc...) however, my cluster does support the DIC messages and i have seen it say "Change Oil" or something along those lines.. so my truck has the OLM on it...

mid30

Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
no dont have any of those controls. I will fill out my profile stuff now. Didn't think I had it as this is an ls model and was original a fleet vehicle. Thank you for the Reply!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ALL vehicles have the OLM system. Vehicles with the DIC in the gauge cluster can read back the percentage of oil life remaining. Other vehicles can use a scan tool to read back the percentage of life, or just wait until the change oil light stays lit at engine start.

All of this is explained in the Owner's Manual. If you bought the vehicle used and somebody ripped yours off, you can trivially locate a replacement PDF by Googling.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
mid30 said:
Not sure if I have one or not. I change my oil 2 times a year. Granted I dont put allot of mile on my truck. I have had it 4 years and have only put 30,000 on it. I bought it with 21,000 and it now has 53,000. I use syn mobile 1 so I know I am not hitting the 7500 to 10,000 befor changing but was just wondering how I can tell if I have an olm (oil life monitoring)?

It does seem strange that, after 30K miles, the OLM light hasn't come on.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
RPO code C1U is a fleet delete build code, perhaps, one of the deletes is the OLM

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
mid30 said:
could be. It was a fleet vehicle from the factory.
Mine is a base LS model and my OLM light has never come on. I've owned it since 9k miles and have about 100k now.
I have done all maintenance myself. My light does show when I first switch to on for a few seconds with all the other lights so I know the light is there, it just doesn't come one. The used car dealer I got mine from deals with a lot of low mileage lease type vehicles. I figure mine was some kind of lease model as well and they disabled the OLM somewhere to keep it from coming on and freaking out customers.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
navigator said:
My light does show when I first switch to on for a few seconds with all the other lights so I know the light is there, ...
I've explained in other threads that the OLM light doesn't come on permanently when the oil life is up. It just stays on a few seconds longer than the other lamps at the initial lamp test time. You're seeing it go off the same time as the other lamps? Hmmm, maybe the fleets DO have an OLM delete function if true. Yet another reason to shun those trucks. (Besides the bigger reason that rentals may have been used for this

[video=youtube;f8gGTrnc_yE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gGTrnc_yE[/video].)

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
mid30 said:
could be. It was a fleet vehicle from the factory.

My vehicle is fleet and the OLM has not alerted me even after tens of thousands of miles. Now I have an Obd2 device monitoring which is now at around 22% remaining. When it reaches zero percent I will be posting an update.

I only reset the OLM after my first ever oilchange and years later once I got an SG2 device.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
It does seem strange that, after 30K miles, the OLM light hasn't come on.
He has changed the oil, so not that strange.

RayVoy said:
RPO code C1U is a fleet delete build code, perhaps, one of the deletes is the OLM

Mine is a fleet truck and it does have the OLM.

navigator said:
Mine is a base LS model and my OLM light has never come on. I've owned it since 9k miles and have about 100k now.
I have done all maintenance myself. My light does show when I first switch to on for a few seconds with all the other lights so I know the light is there, it just doesn't come one. The used car dealer I got mine from deals with a lot of low mileage lease type vehicles. I figure mine was some kind of lease model as well and they disabled the OLM somewhere to keep it from coming on and freaking out customers.

Mine is also a 2006 LS and it does have the OLM.
That is some screwy logic...they would be more likely have the light come on more often on leases so they could make extra money on the oil changes and protect their vehicles.
Also...why would they disable a feature that protects an engine of a vehicle they are effectively renting(leasing) to someone and going to be getting back? Do they want a lease return that has never had an oil change?

Wex said:
My vehicle is fleet and the OLM has not alerted me even after tens of thousands of miles. Now I have an Obd2 device monitoring which is now at around 22% remaining. When it reaches zero percent I will be posting an update.

I only reset the OLM after my first ever oilchange and years later once I got an SG2 device.

Interested to see if the device and the OLM show at the same time.

Mine has only popped on twice in all my years of ownership. It is a long time between oil changes if you wait for the light and I use mine too hard and like the peace of mind that changing the oil regularly gives. I don't mind a little extra expense for the extra protection.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
He has changed the oil, so not that strange.

Just because you change the oil doesn't mean the monitor is reset. In my wife's Impala, I have to go in through the radio to reset it. It shows a note at startup in it's version of the DIC for about 1 minute (30 seconds maybe?) to change engine oil. It will do that until you reset it. If you happen to change the oil before the OLM says to, it will still display the note when it counts down to zero.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
the roadie said:
(Besides the bigger reason that rentals may have been used for this)

Love it! The stairs were a nice touch. I know some yahoos who treat rental cars that way. I always wonder when I travel for work if I got a vehicle that someone just drove like that.

Yep, no prior rental cars for me, either.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
C-ya said:
Just because you change the oil doesn't mean the monitor is reset. In my wife's Impala, I have to go in through the radio to reset it. It shows a note at startup in it's version of the DIC for about 1 minute (30 seconds maybe?) to change engine oil. It will do that until you reset it. If you happen to change the oil before the OLM says to, it will still display the note when it counts down to zero.

Prolly been two years and 30k miles for mine to go off. I never reset it since then. But i do unhook the battery fairlyregularly.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
C-ya said:
Love it! The stairs were a nice touch. I know some yahoos who treat rental cars that way. I always wonder when I travel for work if I got a vehicle that someone just drove like that.

Yep, no prior rental cars for me, either.

I agree. Mine was fleet but it was a verizon rep w paperwork still in glovebox. Effectively one owner(user).

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Pulling the battery wont reset the OLM, there are 3 ways to reset it.

1) With the key in the ON position, pump the gas pedal 3x. The Change Engine Oil light will flash 3 times and reset the OLM to 100%.
2) If you have a DIC, you can browse to the OLM and it will tell you the current status. Hold the Enter button (DIC button with the arrow) for ~5 sec, the Change Engine Oil light will flash and the OLM will reset to 100%.
3) Use a high end scantool such as EFILive, HPTuners, Tech II, Snap On Solus, etc you can manually reset the OLM. Each has their own way of doing it so I cant comment on any except EFILive. With EFILive (and I imagine HPTuners), you can program any OLM status you want from 0-100%. Makes it handy if you accidently reset the OLM (ask me how many times Ive done that, at least 5 :duh:).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Pulling the battery wont reset the OLM, there are 3 ways to reset it.

1) With the key in the ON position, pump the gas pedal 3x. The Change Engine Oil light will flash 3 times and reset the OLM to 100%.
2) If you have a DIC, you can browse to the OLM and it will tell you the current status. Hold the Enter button (DIC button with the arrow) for ~5 sec, the Change Engine Oil light will flash and the OLM will reset to 100%.
3) Use a high end scantool such as EFILive, HPTuners, Tech II, Snap On Solus, etc you can manually reset the OLM. Each has their own way of doing it so I cant comment on any except EFILive. With EFILive (and I imagine HPTuners), you can program any OLM status you want from 0-100%. Makes it handy if you accidently reset the OLM (ask me how many times Ive done that, at least 5 :duh:).

Will the monitor self-reset after an oil change or why would mine not have gone off in so long when I have done noe of these things?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
OLM doesn't have a "you changed the oil" sensor to know it should reset. I guess we can't explain it unless somebody with a scan tool continuously looks at their percentage and waits for it to go to zero % and then watches the gauge light like a hawk to see if its behavior changes.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
OLM doesn't have a "you changed the oil" sensor to know it should reset. I guess we can't explain it unless somebody with a scan tool continuously looks at their percentage and waits for it to go to zero % and then watches the gauge light like a hawk to see if its behavior changes.

Shortly after I purchased the SG2, I enabled the xgauge OLM monitoring. I can not find in my logs an exact time I last reset the OLM. The last two oil changes I have read:

nov 19, 11 82777 68.2OLF with 4444 miles on the oil. Jul 17, 12 86982 OLF27.8 with 4205 miles on the oil. I would have to go back and look on OS and see if I made any mention back when I enabled the Xgauge feature. I am guessing in two or three oil changes will get me close or past single digit OLM values. The TB is no longer my daily driver so it does take time for me to rack up the miles. It is also mainly used for short hop driving now. Just guessing, I think I might have reset my OLM around aug 11 at around 78333 miles. This is when I had an oil sample analyzed. I can't be sure about that though. I do check the OLM value maybe around once every three weeks.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I can see why car rental companies would not want the OLM. It would stop renters from worrying when they see a light on. Even if it is only a short time longer that the other dash lights.

Rental companies wouldn't rely on a dash light. They have set times/mileage readings for maintenance. :twocents:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wooluf1952 said:
Rental companies wouldn't rely on a dash light. They have set times/mileage readings for maintenance. :twocents:
But don't you think they should change it BEFORE the light came on? And then reset the light so the renting public would NEVER see the light? Decontenting the OLM would make me VERY nervous about buying a former rental, as if I'd ever do such a crazy thing. :no: A lease fleet, maybe. Don't think you can tell them apart on Carfax? Maybe you can? :undecided:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I agree they should change the oil before the light comes on. But if they forget to reset it or don't even know it needs to be reset, it's just one less headache they have to worry about.
When I bought my Envoy, I got 3 years of free oil changes. IIRC, it was into the second year before they remembered to reset the OLM. And I have the D.I.C.. I just started leaving the OLM displayed and they got the message.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
But don't you think they should change it BEFORE the light came on? And then reset the light so the renting public would NEVER see the light? Decontenting the OLM would make me VERY nervous about buying a former rental, as if I'd ever do such a crazy thing. :no: A lease fleet, maybe. Don't think you can tell them apart on Carfax? Maybe you can? :undecided:

My two prior vehicles were fleet and the carfax did mention the dates the vehicle entered service and when the title was changed. Because they were fleet, it was imperative that the vehicle be checked out on a lift and a very thorough inspection made. If you happen to be the second owner, you can see who was offering it for lease. Once the vehicle is retitled, then the paper trail can start to get less descriptive. If the company was well structured, sometimes you can get lucky and request and actually obtain the maintenance logs. Other times you just are in the dark as they no longer care about the purged cast off vehicle.

Because of torque management, I don't picture rental fleet vehicles getting the powertrain as beat up as it could be. You just have to worry about hidden collision damage. I did not go into the market looking for a fleet TB. It is just what crossed paths with me as I was looking for a replacement vehicle. The vehicle came with a free bumper to bumper warranty and buyback, so I got a decent deal and happy with the outcome even with the GMT360's little quirks. Without that warranty and buyback option, I would of been a little hesitant.

I am not 100% certain that the OLM is even neutered fleetwise. But, I would be willing to bet that maybe a flash to the pcm could possibly reenable the OLM to full functionality if desired.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online