horrible window sqeak

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
My window is squeaking horribly when I roll it up. It is the driver's side window. Anybody have this problem and fix it?

I tried cleaning the glass and I used armorall on the seals. I don't see any scratches in the glass so I assume it is a seal.

I have a 2004 envoy xl

thanks, Doug

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Funny, mine just started doing this a few days ago too.

Went from perfectly fine to suddenly awful screeeeeeching just on the way up. Gonna dig into it this weekend. Sounds like it's in the guide channel. Maybe something dragging acrossing the edge of the window.

Let us know if you figure it out.

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I have a busy weekend. I'm hoping you figure it out first!:rotfl:

But I will certainly report back. I'm wondering if the little hairs (for lack of a better word) rubbed off the gasket and is causing the squeak. Mine did it al of te sudden as well.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Mine has always done this since I got it. It's sort of like a nails on chalkboard sound. The noise is coming right from the seals where the window comes up out of. I need to redo all the weatherstriping on my drivers side.

I also have a squeaking going on when driving the truck at highway speeds. This has been proved in another thread to be the door checks squeaking.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My tracks are so full of mud, dirt and sand that I am not sure what I would think if the windows did not make noise.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Without doing anything it just up and stopped screeching. Must've been something stuck in the track that finally worked itself loose.

A little unsatisfying without an actual diagnosis but I'll take it.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I noticed mine would squeal coming down in winter when the window was dir-ty. When the TB is clean its quiet. When its wet it might startup. Drove me nuts this winter and I finally noticed its only like that when its "filthy". My .02

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
It may have something to do with the inner and outer belt molding. I seem to remember reading a TSB on it. Something to do with it being to tight and having to pry it open a little bit.

EDIT:

TSB #040864012

Body - Front/Rear Side Door Glass is Scratched
Front or Rear Side Door Glass Scratched (Adjust Hem Flange)
# 04-08-64-012C - (May 26, 2005)

Models:
2004 Buick Rainier
2002-2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2004 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL
2004 GMC Envoy XUV
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

This bulletin is being revised to correct the model designations for the last four parts listed in the Parts Information table. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-64-012B (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the front or rear door glass has some vertical scratches on the outside of the door glass.

Cause

The inner and outer belt moldings may be too tight, causing dirt to get impregnated into the outer belt molding and causing scratches.

Correction
1. Remove the Door Trim Panel-Side Front Door. Remove the outer belt molding.

2. Take a measurement between the inner and outer hem flange at the top of the door. Refer to the illustration above. If that measurement is 27 mm (1.06 in) or lower, proceed to step 3.

3. Close the door.

4. Wearing gloves, pull on the outer door skin to achieve a measurement of 28 mm (1.10 in) minimum to 31 mm (1.22 in) maximum. If the measurement cannot be achieved by pulling, use a pair of Vise Grip (Sheet Metal) pliers and bend the outer panel to get your measurement.

5. Install a new reveal molding.

6. Install a new door glass.

deepblue

Dec 5, 2011
Prelude to window motor FAILURE !!!

depending on how many times you use it, it's ready to blow... had the exact symptom, motor quit within 10 days. Motor replaced, sounds just like new.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I don't think its the motor. Mine's been doing this for most of the 7 years I've owned it. Only when its wet. When the truck is clean and the weather good, the window is quiet.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, if it was the motor is would be doing it all the time. It's definitely something scratching something. Never heard of a motor scratching anything. Perhaps when you changed the motor you unknowingly fixed something else.

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
CaptainXL said:
Yeah, if it was the motor is would be doing it all the time. It's definitely something scratching something. Never heard of a motor scratching anything. Perhaps when you changed the motor you unknowingly fixed something else.

Now I know why my window done Fed up my tints :hissyfit:

szieziel

Aug 6, 2012
My drivers window had been doing this when wet, so I took the door panel and splash shield off, sprayed and wiped down the window guide at the very back of the door with silicon spray...
probably not the best choice, but what I had - I think I will do it again with dry teflon spray
So far no squeaking, we'll see how it holds up

dcbenvoy

Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I should have checked back in on this. Mine is quiet when wet. Squeaky when dry. I'll have to look for scratches.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I never had an issue until they replaced everything after my window was busted out. It does it now, except when it rains. My windows were scratched when I bought the truck. Used plastx and some glass compound to fix it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online