Hood Struts

MrDJ

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
Hey all - I am wanting to put some struts under the hood to prop it open. Do I just use replacement rear struts or is there a specific type I need to use?

Thanks!

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I was an early adopter of those. Huge thumbs up for Redline!

MrDJ

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
Is the basic set sufficient for everyday use?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
+1 for redline.. ive seen them in person, and this has been added to my mod list...

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
My windshield would have been happier with me last summer if I had those. Damn wind blew the hood off the prop rod and into the windshield.

These are on my mod list, and hopefully sooner then later.

MrDJ

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
They are on my ever-growing list...unfortunately not near the top :tongue: I have some other things I need to buy first and $70 is a lot for a college kid :frown:

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
My windshield would have been happier with me last summer if I had those. Damn wind blew the hood off the prop rod and into the windshield.

These are on my mod list, and hopefully sooner then later.

Ouch!! Never really considered that happening before. Will now.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
the roadie said:
I was an early adopter of those. Huge thumbs up for Redline!

Do those hold the hood open more than the prop rod?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
MrDJ said:
Is the basic set sufficient for everyday use?

IIRC, the only diff between the next higher priced set and the lower priced set are the brackets. lower priced are zinc coated, compaired to powder coated.
i've had the zince plated brackets for the past 14 months w/ no problems. even in the ever changing chicago weather.

Me007gold said:
Redline tuning makes a kit, I imagine, It would be a lot easier then fabricating brackets on your own. Ive got a set here waiting to go on. I just done if i trust my self to drill in to the hood/fenders.

i too was nervous about drilling. just make sure you but some tape on the bit(as instruction suggest) to stop you from going in too far.

Wooluf1952 said:
Do those hold the hood open more than the prop rod?

maybe just a little bit. measured mine and have 31" from brace (where the prop rod sits) to the underside of the hood.

Attachments

• hood struts.jpg
    hood struts.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 15

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
I bought the Redline kit when it first came out for our trucks and that many years later - the kit still works and looks great :thumbsup:

Plus, it makes working under the hood SOOOOO much easier w/out that stupid hood prop rod in the way!!!!

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Tossing in my +1 for redline. Had a set on my car for about 3 years before swapping to a cf hood. Have a set for my TB ready to go on when the weather is a bit more cooperative for outside work.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
My 03 TB was the guinea pig for the hood struts for out platform. I have had a set on both of my TB's (03 and 07). I have the all black set on my 07. Never had a problem with them. (I wish the factory ones on the rear hatch held up as well!!!!! :hissyfit::hissyfit:).

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
It has been on my mod list for a while. I guss I forgot about it though. Maybe I can do it spring break...

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
Another :thumbsup: for the Redlines...I put mine on a few weeks ago and think they're the cats ass.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
Have had mine on now for 3 years and they are pleasure, hood opens effortlessly. I got the basic kit and I see no deterioration in any of the metal surfaces. Thumbs up for this product. Thumbs down for the stupid rod setup GM gave us.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
My Mazda Protege5 came with a custom hood prop kit, I never thought I could fall in love with a mod so simple! It's easily one of the best things about my car. EVERYone in my Mazda crew is jealous of them. LOL Mine open the hood WAY up too...a good 6-8" over factory prop rod location. If I have some spare money, I'd definitely like to get some for the TB.

Side note....the 97-X's come with a factory hood strut, anyone see any pics of someone using these on other 360's? I saw a post on TBSSowners.com where someone did this, even listed OEM part numbers, but all the pics were unavailable, as it was a 3 year old post. I know it's not a direct bolt up, some fabbing is required, but maybe it'd be cheaper than the redline kit.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I really need to order some up and do this.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Our 9-7x with the factory hood strut is so much nicer than our Rainier with the 19th century prop rod.

EnvoyCruzer

Jan 23, 2012
:thumbsup: for Redline! Have had mine for several years already, no probs whatsoever.

Hawge

Jan 12, 2012
Does anyone know of a discount coupon, I thought I came across it at one time or another? It was for the hood struts.:banghead:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.