HomeBrewing

ptrkptz

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Anyone?? It is kinda fun, but time consuming. Really don't need alot of specialized equipment to get started. But then again, if you prefer Bud Light, Coors Light, etc... you are better off not trying it, because that will take some specialized equipment.

Just wondering if there is anyone else that is out here, that homebrewing and vehicles like i do.

gsf1200m

Dec 15, 2011
I have done about 7 or 8 batches in the last two years. The most fun was doing 4 different kinds for my rehearsal dinner. I have kinda got "brewed out" in the last couple months and haven't done one in awhile, and not sure when I will do another.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
I got a kit last year and have made about 2 batches so far. I haven't brewed anything lately but plan on doing so soon. I was given the True Brew Gold Kit last year. I love home brewing.

I am nowhere near what you would call good at it though:rotfl: My first attempt didn't exactly turn out tasting to great. I tend to use the kits with all the ingredients to make my batches. I would love to start using actually recipes soon, just need to get more confidence with the process first.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I've been home brewing for a couple of years now, as well as making wine. I use the Coopers Wheat kits for the beer, it's easy, cheap and you can't go wrong with it.

With the exception of a capper and bottle tree, the equipment only costs around $25 and you're ready to go.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
I really enjoy making my own. haven't had time the last couple years, but this was usually my winter hobby. I agree that this is a cheap, fun way to make an individual product for you and your buddy's to enjoy. with a little practice, you can make a pretty good beer. Wow, 8am and already thinking about beer :undecided:

ptrkptz

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
woody,
heh... my first batch was similar... drinkable, but not the first thing that i am reaching for!!

Uncle Blazer said:
I really enjoy making my own. haven't had time the last couple years, but this was usually my winter hobby. I agree that this is a cheap, fun way to make an individual product for you and your buddy's to enjoy. with a little practice, you can make a pretty good beer. Wow, 8am and already thinking about beer :undecided:

lol... always time for a beer

Matt,
the wife wants me to try a batch of wine... any tips?? Figure that I will make a batch for her... then she may become more interested in feeding my hobby

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
ptrkptz said:
woody,
heh... my first batch was similar... drinkable, but not the first thing that i am reaching for!!

lol... always time for a beer

Matt,
the wife wants me to try a batch of wine... any tips?? Figure that I will make a batch for her... then she may become more interested in feeding my hobby

Use a kit...World Vineyard is good, that's what I use. Also, go for ones that have 15 litres of juice not 10, they taste really good and should run you about $115. For that you should get about 30 bottles of wine. As with all brewing, make sure everything is clean and just follow the instructions. Oh, and I only rack mine twice and have no issues with clarity.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Matt said:
Use a kit... As with all brewing, make sure everything is clean and just follow the instructions.

Best advice. :thumbsup: A kit will get you into the game and once you get your methods down you can move into buying individual ingredients and getting a little more creative. Well, I made it until 9am today without thinking about beer. Damn.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Been a while since I brewed beer. Work just keeps me going and going. Used to work with another home brewer so we'd regularly challenge each other and that helped keep me going.

ptrkptz

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
@Mark20
Having someone else that be around to help do the homebrew would help, especially bottling... bottling sucks. I would like to keg it, but... more equipment!!

Anyone keg, or looked into it?

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I use the Tap-a-Draft system. Smaller kegging system whic I like quite a bit. It comes with 6L bottles but 3L soda bottles work fine and are more robust. However it can be a pain to get the soda flavor out unless your lucky enough to find club soda.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I looked into kegging, but for portability and cost, I'm sticking with bottles. I find it therapeutic bottling my beer, undisturbed in my man cave brew house...but I'm :crazy:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
I looked into kegging, but for portability and cost, I'm sticking with bottles. I find it therapeutic bottling my beer, undisturbed in my man cave brew house...but I'm :crazy:

:iagree: Bottling is my favorite part. Its also a good point in the process to "sample" the product :thumbsup:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
woody79 said:
:iagree: Bottling is my favorite part. Its also a good point in the process to "sample" the product :thumbsup:

I bottle condition mine, so I can't sample it...don't like flat beer. :puke:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
I bottle condition mine, so I can't sample it...don't like flat beer. :puke:

Sorry ... not to sure what you mean by bottle condition?

If you listen to what a lot of my friends say, they state that us Brits always drink warm flat beer :eek: I actually tried it for the first time when I was in Wales last year. I had a pint directly from the cask. It was a different experience. I have to say I prefer mine from a bottle, ice cold and having the right carbination :thumbsup:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
woody79 said:

If you listen to what a lot of my friends say, they state that us Brits always drink warm flat beer :eek: I actually tried it for the first time when I was in Wales last year. I had a pint directly from the cask. It was a different experience. I have to say I prefer mine from a bottle, ice cold and having the right carbination :thumbsup:

Warm is a misnomer, it's cellar temperature, which, if you're used to ice cold from the fridge, would feel like it's warm.

Bottle conditioning is a fancy way of saying carbonating it in the bottle. One carbonation drop in a 12oz bottle, fill with beer, cap and 4 weeks later, perfectly carbonated beer ready for the fridge.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Matt said:
Warm is a misnomer, it's cellar temperature, which, if you're used to ice cold from the fridge, would feel like it's warm.

Bottle conditioning is a fancy way of saying carbonating it in the bottle. One carbonation drop in a 12oz bottle, fill with beer, cap and 4 weeks later, perfectly carbonated beer ready for the fridge.

Or 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in a pint of water to sterilize added to 5 gallons of beer in the bottling bucket, my preferred way.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mark20 said:
Or 3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in a pint of water to sterilize added to 5 gallons of beer in the bottling bucket, my preferred way.

I brew in my bottling bucket, that's why I use the drops. (And no, I don't have a problem with crap in the bottom.)

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Mark20 said:

This is the same way that I do mine.

ptrkptz

Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
So anyone have anything in the Primary, Secondary, Condtioning or Drinking??

Saison -- Condition -- ready by 5/21
Rye IPA -- Primary

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I've only bottle conditioned so far. Ran a couple batches with Coopers kit that the misses got me. I'm far from experienced but I'm interested in continuing my journey.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
You guys got me to the range, now you're going to make me brew a batch. Been wanting to do a Kolsch style beer. Excellent summer beer. I particularly like a bit of wheat in the grain bill though the style doesn't dictate that.

kenmyfam

Dec 11, 2011
South West Ontario, Canada
woody79 said:

Yep, being originally from Liverpool England I used to drink it "warm"
Not any more !!! :biggrin:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm going to start a heffenweisen (wheat beer) on Saturday...boiling the wort, adding hops etc. This will be a first for me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online