HOLY CRAP!

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
I was looking at her, thinking about how much my wife loves the outdoors (for reasons like this), and almost didn't see that big cat lurking in the background! Yikes! :rotfl:

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Ed H said:
I was looking at her, thinking about how much my wife loves the outdoors (for reasons like this), and almost didn't see that big cat lurking in the background! Yikes! :rotfl:

Lol when i first looked at the pic i was like eww why would someone post a pic of a chic droppin a deuce then saw the cat also and laughed cuz even if she wanted to she couldnt run

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
When I was a river guide in PA, we had a similar situation actually happen to one of our guys. We were at lunch break on a trip, and he had to drop one. He went a little ways into the woods, dropped shorts, looked to the right and saw a mountain lion. I knew he had to go, so when he returned really quickly, with a pale face, I asked what happened. Needless to say, he ended up not having to go to bathroom for awhile.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Conner299 said:
When I was a river guide in PA, we had a similar situation actually happen to one of our guys. We were at lunch break on a trip, and he had to drop one. He went a little ways into the woods, dropped shorts, looked to the right and saw a mountain lion. I knew he had to go, so when he returned really quickly, with a pale face, I asked what happened. Needless to say, he ended up not having to go to bathroom for awhile.

There's Mountain Lions in PA?...:eek:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
northcreek said:

Inquiring minds want to know!

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:

Why do you think Penn State's mascot is the Nittany Lion?

Yes, there are mountain lions in PA.

Luckily, not where I line, LOL

Chris

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Yes, there are mountain lions in PA. I was in Ohiopyle, PA, and we had more of a problem with black bears, though. They're about as easy to hit with your car, as a deer is. Had I not slowed down, when I saw momma bear crossing the road, I may have hit one or both of her cubs.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
silverunicorn said:
Why do you think Penn State's mascot is the Nittany Lion?Chris

The Buffalo Bills mascot is a Bison but,we have no wild Bison in New York:biggrin:

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Conner299 said:
Yes, there are mountain lions in PA. I was in Ohiopyle, PA, and we had more of a problem with black bears, though. They're about as easy to hit with your car, as a deer is. Had I not slowed down, when I saw momma bear crossing the road, I may have hit one or both of her cubs.

Do mountain lions exist in the wild in Pennsylvania? | www.endeavornews.com | Endeavor News | Serving Potter and Cameron Counties in Northcentral Pennsylvania

People have claimed to see them here in WNY too...seems to be a Bigfoot,UFO kinda thing :undecided:Mike.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
northcreek said:
The Buffalo Bills mascot is a Bison but,we have no wild Bison in New York:biggrin:

Actually, you do.
In the early 1900's, some movie company was shooting a film and needed some bison. I don't know where they got them, but when the movie wrapped up, they just let them go. They bred, and were finally moved to Yellowstone, where they helped re-populate the bisons that were decimated in the attempt to wipe out the Indians food supply. At that time, there were only a few dozen left in the west.
I wish I could remember more facts, but I learned the story in college (40 years ago). It may have been PT Barnum that supplied the bison.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I've read all the articles, seen all the HOAX pictures, and I can completely understand the alien/bigfoot reference. My belief comes from my good friend's eyewitness account, and a DCNR ranger where I used to work in PA. While he doesn't believe they are widespread, he does believe there are a handful. He is a local boy, and avid outdoorsman. While he says he hasn't seen any, he says he has seen tracks. It is also a known fact, that mountain lions, have been known to travel great distances. Upwards of 1500 to 2000 miles. So, anything is possible. I'm not trying to convert any skeptics. I guess all I can say is believe what you want.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
NJTB said:
Actually, you do.
In the early 1900's, some movie company was shooting a film and needed some bison. I don't know where they got them, but when the movie wrapped up, they just let them go. They bred, and were finally moved to Yellowstone, where they helped re-populate the bisons that were decimated in the attempt to wipe out the Indians food supply. At that time, there were only a few dozen left in the west.
I wish I could remember more facts, but I learned the story in college (40 years ago). It may have been PT Barnum that supplied the bison.

Conner299 said:
I've read all the articles, seen all the HOAX pictures, and I can completely understand the alien/bigfoot reference. My belief comes from my good friend's eyewitness account, and a DCNR ranger where I used to work in PA. While he doesn't believe they are widespread, he does believe there are a handful. He is a local boy, and avid outdoorsman. While he says he hasn't seen any, he says he has seen tracks. It is also a known fact, that mountain lions, have been known to travel great distances. Upwards of 1500 to 2000 miles. So, anything is possible. I'm not trying to convert any skeptics. I guess all I can say is believe what you want.

Both replies are very interesting,so I guess we would all be wise to be wary when pinching a loaf in the woods :biggrin:

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
NJTB said:
Actually, you do.

A century ago, hunting by humans brought bison to the brink of extinction with fewer than 1,100 left. Settlers shot bison from trains. Previously, tens of millions of bison roamed North America.

New York conservationists began trying to save bison in 1907, sending bison survivors west in hopes they'd create new herds. But the western ranchers who nurtured surviving bison relied on interbreeding with cattle to try to increase bison numbers.

Today, wild bison number around 19,820 nationwide, according to the Denver-based National Bison Association. An estimated 198,000 bison are raised on ranches for hides and meat.

Read more: CSU team reproduces purebred Yellowstone bison for New York - The Denver Post CSU team reproduces purebred Yellowstone bison for New York - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
northcreek said:
A century ago, hunting by humans brought bison to the brink of extinction with fewer than 1,100 left. Settlers shot bison from trains. Previously, tens of millions of bison roamed North America.

New York conservationists began trying to save bison in 1907, sending bison survivors west in hopes they'd create new herds. But the western ranchers who nurtured surviving bison relied on interbreeding with cattle to try to increase bison numbers.

Today, wild bison number around 19,820 nationwide, according to the Denver-based National Bison Association. An estimated 198,000 bison are raised on ranches for hides and meat.

Read more: CSU team reproduces purebred Yellowstone bison for New York - The Denver Post CSU team reproduces purebred Yellowstone bison for New York - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

Thank you. I found it real interesting that NY was partially responsible for saving the Bison.

RichieT

Feb 8, 2012
Conner299 said:

I remember reading years ago about NY mountain lions and how they will never be officially acknowledged due to their endangered status. Their habitat would have to be protected which would limit the land use. They would play off sightings as large bobtails or other cats. When they found evidence like scat, they would play that off as someones escaped pet and not native. Probably the same in PA.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danfromutah

Members Online