Holy crap batman!!!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I think I had a mini heart attack today. I took Phantom to a car detailer to see how much they charge for a complete exterior work over, and they told me they wouldn't touch the truck, and that I needed to take it to a place here(Precision Collision Center) and have it looked at. :undecided:

So for schmits and giggles, I drove down there, and had him look at Phantom's problem area's. The drivers side door, drivers side passenger door, drivers side front fender, both bumpers, and the passenger front fender(I will replace the fender he will paint it)

He told me...The reason the area where (the molding was)is raised is because someone painted the door. The off color is not oxidation. And he confirmed that my clear coat has some major issues.

This is what he quoted me

Front drivers side fender-Refinish+Clear coat
Drivers door-Refinish+clear coat
Passenger rear door-Refinish+clear coat

Total- $1,265.30

Front bumper-Refinish+clear coat
Rear bumper-Refinish+clear coat

Total- $836.75

Front fender(passenger side)-Refinish+clear coat+ installation

Total- $543.41

I shit a brick, right then and there my pants started feeling a bit heavy. And the idea of just using spray paint sounded SO much better! I couldn't believe he wanted all that money. A lot of it too is he has to remove certain parts of the truck to paint certain parts of the truck. WHY NOT just paint the whole damn thing?? Well because he wants over $10,000.00 to repaint and clear coat the entire truck!!!

I asked, what if I just brought the parts to you that needed to be painted. I would remove them and bring them to the shop. "Oh well the price won't change see, because we need to make sure it is disassembled appropriately, and we couldn't just paint a door you brought in".

I have a distinctive feeling he wants to rape my pocket book! My buddy of mine just had his entire s-10 repainted(different than stock)clear coated, and an entire rust "repair" done and it cost him $1100 bucks, and it looks damn good mind you!

I think I need to go back to wal-mart and buy a couple extra dozen cans of black spray paint and clear coat spray lol :crazy:

What do you guys/gals think?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
His prices are high and your buddy got a heck of a deal for 1100.

Spray paint will never look as good.

Do all the prep work and have Maaco spray it for 350 bucks...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
His prices are high and your buddy got a heck of a deal for 1100.

Spray paint will never look as good.

Do all the prep work and have Maaco spray it for 350 bucks...

I'm not sure if we have a Maaco here....I never thought of them. Thanks Kyle!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Honestly, those quotes seem about right...

I'm sure my brother (JosueLT) will chime in and give his 2 cents if he sees this thread... I'm sure you saw his collision thread... body work and paint are very expensive...

And your buddies complete spray and clear on his s10 for $1100.. doesn't seem right, or is one hell of a deal.. I paid about $3,000 total for a spray on my old short bed standard cab Dodge Dakota, and that was with my brother prepping it and doing all the body work an giving it to the painter in primer... that was over 10 years ago...

Someone hit my rear bumper on the beaSSt last year and my brother fixed it for $100 buuuuut... that was just the cost of materials, so if I took it to a shop, would've been an easy $500-$600 job (that was at his shop and his prices)... so $800ish total for your 2, are correct.. remember, that plastic flex's.. it takes special prepping for it..

The only thing I see weird about the situation is them denying you bringing in parts and you take them home to insall yourself.. I would just go out and get multiple quotes.. but don't be surprised to not see any or little changes between estimates...

always remember, you get what you pay for... you pay $350 for a complete paint job from Maaco, don't expect it to be good or last long... there are reasons body work and paint costs thousands of dollars, and not hundreds... but if your in a crunch time budget, then Maaco might be your best bet...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Honestly, those quotes seem about right...

I'm sure my brother (JosueLT) will chime in and give his 2 cents if he sees this thread... I'm sure you saw his collision thread... body work and paint are very expensive...

And your buddies complete spray and clear on his s10 for $1100.. doesn't seem right, or is one hell of a deal.. I paid about $3,000 total for a spray on my old short bed standard cab Dodge Dakota, and that was with my brother prepping it and doing all the body work an giving it to the painter in primer... that was over 10 years ago...

Someone hit my rear bumper on the beaSSt last year and my brother fixed it for $100 buuuuut... that was just the cost of materials, so if I took it to a shop, would've been an easy $500-$600 job (that was at his shop and his prices)... so $800ish total for your 2, are correct.. remember, that plastic flex's.. it takes special prepping for it..

The only thing I see weird about the situation is them denying you bringing in parts and you take them home to insall yourself.. I would just go out and get multiple quotes.. but don't be surprised to not see any or little changes between estimates...

always remember, you get what you pay for... you pay $350 for a complete paint job from Maaco, don't expect it to be good or last long... there are reasons body work and paint costs thousands of dollars, and not hundreds... but if your in a crunch time budget, then Maaco might be your best bet...

It wasn't really the paint and clear coat that was expensive, it was removing the parts. I have 6 pages of paper with the entire quote on it for every little thing. I think he wanted to charge $60.00 to remove the grille assy! I can do that in less than 20 minutes.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
It wasn't really the paint and clear coat that was expensive, it was removing the parts. I have 6 pages of paper with the entire quote on it for every little thing. I think he wanted to charge $60.00 to remove the grille assy! I can do that in less than 20 minutes.

Ahh yea... labor will eat you up... I was charged $91 jus to drop my trans pan, change the filter, and fill it back up.. mind you, I supplied all trans fluid, gasket, and the filter...

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Those prices seem about right me as well, from a reputable garage anyway.
My cousin owns an autobody garage and 95% of his business are insurance jobs. Insurance adjusters get how time consuming even a small job can be, but for the individual off the street the price of automotive painting can be a real shocker. As someone already said, you really get what you pay for. Some paint jobs can look great a few days after, but how will they look next year :smile: That's always a major concern in the rust areas. Guys will wack body filler into every rust hole, spray it, and sell it. Six months later all the filler falls out :eek:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
Those prices seem about right me as well, from a reputable garage anyway.
My cousin owns an autobody garage and 95% of his business are insurance jobs. Insurance adjusters get how time consuming even a small job can be, but for the individual off the street the price of automotive painting can be a real shocker. As someone already said, you really get what you pay for. Some paint jobs can look great a few days after, but how will they look next year :smile: That's always a major concern in the rust areas. Guys will wack body filler into every rust hole, spray it, and sell it. Six months later all the filler falls out :eek:

Yeah, we don't have any rust thankfully. It's just the clear coat is flaking off, and the drivers front fender and door are discolored.

Now why couldn't they just spray clear coat? I didn't originally want a new paint job, but they told me that there is no way to get around a paint job and just do the clear coat. Seems stupid to me.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
Yeah, we don't have any rust thankfully. It's just the clear coat is flaking off, and the drivers front fender and door are discolored.

Now why couldn't they just spray clear coat? I didn't originally want a new paint job, but they told me that there is no way to get around a paint job and just do the clear coat. Seems stupid to me.

Clear coat would just cover the problem and make it come back or make it stand out more since you'll have panels of fresh clear coat, then others with factory clear coat.. plus where the clear coat has flaked off, the paint has been exposed to the elements, so a respray would be in order...also don't forget that they have to wetsand and buff things after paint and clear coat as well... so one panel buffed compared to a stock panel, it will look worse then when you brought it in... its like puttin on a bandaid when you really need stitches...

Just like the rust issue stated earlier, you can't just bondo it up and then spray over it.. it will return.. same with paint and clear..

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Clear coat would just cover the problem and make it come back or make it stand out more since you'll have panels of fresh clear coat, then others with factory clear coat.. also don't forget that they have to wetsand and buff things after paint and clear coat as well... so one panel buffed compared to a stock panel, it will look worse then when you brought it in... its like puttin on a bandaid when you really need stitches...
Just like the rust issue stated earlier, you can't just bondo it up and then spray over it.. it will return.. same with paint and clear..

That makes sense. I just wish it was as easy as spraying a few cans of spray paint on it lol.

Is there an easy fix to help the appearance of the flaking clear coat, just something temporary? It has the dried skin look that I don't like, and wasn't sure if there was a way for the look to be fixed. In simple terms, the clear coat is not clear it's white...any way to get the white look to go away?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
That makes sense. I just wish it was as easy as spraying a few cans of spray paint on it lol.

Is there an easy fix to help the appearance of the flaking clear coat, just something temporary? It has the dried skin look that I don't like, and wasn't sure if there was a way for the look to be fixed. In simple terms, the clear coat is not clear it's white...any way to get the white look to go away?

not that im aware of... i think to fix it, youre looking into sandand etc... but im not an expert in body work... i texted my brother when i read this thread, so im sure he'll chime in when he gets home from work later on today... he'll know better answers/solutions then i would...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got any pics you can show us? May help some of us less paint-work inclined to visualize what you're workin with.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just an idea but see if there is anyone who does it on the side or semi-retired or something. There is a guy relatively close to me that charges less than most shops because he doesn't have the overhead anymore. He quoted me $2000 to basically respray the bottoms of my doors and liftgate and quarter panels after fixing the rust. Most shops would be 2x that much. And he does top notch work from what I've seen.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I have pics of the clear coat issues, but no pics of the color mismatch/oxidation. I can get some, I just try and stay away from his bad side when doing pics lol. I also don't have pictures yet of the torn up fender that needs replaced. It was damaged on the lot at the stealership but they wouldn't fix it, or pay for it to be fixed.

IMG_20120323_190411.jpg

IMG_20120323_190250.jpg

IMG_20120323_190359.jpg

I'll answer the thread better here in a few minutes. I'm in the process of cleaning and cooking some freshly caught catfish. I'll get some better pictures when hubby is back from going to the auto parts store, I want a new exhaust too lol

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Rhino/truck bed liner it. Going to do the lower part of my 02 in a few weeks when I get the time to do the prep work. Tired of messing with rock chips on the bumpers and front edge of the hood.

Body/paint is really expensive. I paid $120 to have my rear air deflector primered, painted and cleared. Had all my body work done under insurance on my SS, for the 02 I had the drivers front fender replaced and painted for $1000 after tax (in Idaho so lower tax rate too).

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Rhino/truck bed liner it. Going to do the lower part of my 02 in a few weeks when I get the time to do the prep work. Tired of messing with rock chips on the bumpers and front edge of the hood.

Body/paint is really expensive. I paid $120 to have my rear air deflector primered, painted and cleared. Had all my body work done under insurance on my SS, for the 02 I had the drivers front fender replaced and painted for $1000 after tax (in Idaho so lower tax rate too).

I found a front fender for the envoy primered, painted and clear coated for $120. All I have to do is install. And it' brand new, never been on a vehicle. So for the guy to want $500+ to do just 1 fender is f-ing NUTS!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Here's an OS member's XUV with rhino liner all over, plus a photoshopped modification.

ultravorxtechnical.jpg

No offense to the owner of that truck, but that's ugly as all hell lol

Not exactly what I had in mind. :no:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I found a front fender for the envoy primered, painted and clear coated for $120. All I have to do is install. And it' brand new, never been on a vehicle. So for the guy to want $500+ to do just 1 fender is f-ing NUTS!

Those cheap painted fenders won't be good quality paint jobs. It may be passable but it won't be perfect. Decent chance it would only be single stage and not base/clear. Odds are good that it'll look like it has been replaced. Been there, done that, in my case on my old car it still looked better than the original smashed up fender that was on the car, heh.

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
I might be able to get the fade off the door for ya. Or show ya how and let ya do it giving my curant condition. :smile:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
stormsurge said:
I might be able to get the fade off the door for ya. Or show ya how and let ya do it giving my curant condition. :smile:

I just might have to take you up on that offer! You could always show hubby. I can sit with the wifey and have a few drinks lol :biggrin:

I mean I already need a new paint job. What's the worse we can do to it?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:

OMG Carlton...A Sharpie!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that in the first place!!!

I'm not kidding either :redface:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
OMG Carlton...A Sharpie!!!!!! Why didn't I think of that in the first place!!!

I dunno, probably too excited about the meet. Just make sure you put plenty of clear over it! :biggrin:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I got a quote from LineX for them to spray the whole truck, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, and the roof basket for $2,200. That is including the UV top coat and it comes with a lifetime guarantee for chipping or fading. You could always go the rugged route! :thumbsup:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
To answer some of the questions you have, the reason they won't take panels you removed and just spray it is because #1 they want to make money on labor, and #2 they aren't going to be able to blend and match the paint with the panels off the car. Also with your clear coat in the condition it's in, they can't just bodywork the problem areas and spray right over the old paint like they can on a lot of cars. They need to sand down ALL of the messed up areas down to pretty much bare metal, that's a lot more labor than normal.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
^Exactly. If the clear coat is peeling, then there is an underlying issue that needs to be taken care of.

Like everyone's been saying, you get what you pay for. And no offense, but the average person has no idea what they're looking at. You might think the $1100 complete paint job on the S-10, including rust repair, looks great, but I'd probably laugh in the owners face if I saw it in person. LOL The only opinion that matters is yours though. If you pay $1000 for a complete paint job, and you love the way it looks, then mission accomplished!

I DO kind of think those prices are high though. Rates vary by geographic locations though, stuff is just more expensive in certain parts of the country. I would definitely get other estimates. And, if you find a shop that you feel comfortable with, and their quote is just about reasonable, don't be afraid to haggle with them! Those prices aren't "set in stone", and most shops can trim some costs here and there. I see it all the time on estimates/work orders I get. I'll be fixing a bumper....to remove it, overhaul it (take off all the grilles, fog lights, moldings, park lights, etc.) repair the damage, prime and paint the whole cover, and reinstall, it might be $568.35 or something. I'll see that final number scratched off, and one of the estimators will have written..."agreed price - $500"

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
[video=youtube;rNY9Dx617N8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8&feature=related[/video]

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
Porkins said:
[video=youtube;rNY9Dx617N8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8&feature=related[/video]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Then you can paint your house with the same gun. Cant handle how some peaple think. :crazy:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
JosueLT said:
^Exactly. If the clear coat is peeling, then there is an underlying issue that needs to be taken care of.

Like everyone's been saying, you get what you pay for. And no offense, but the average person has no idea what they're looking at. You might think the $1100 complete paint job on the S-10, including rust repair, looks great, but I'd probably laugh in the owners face if I saw it in person. LOL The only opinion that matters is yours though. If you pay $1000 for a complete paint job, and you love the way it looks, then mission accomplished!

I DO kind of think those prices are high though. Rates vary by geographic locations though, stuff is just more expensive in certain parts of the country. I would definitely get other estimates. And, if you find a shop that you feel comfortable with, and their quote is just about reasonable, don't be afraid to haggle with them! Those prices aren't "set in stone", and most shops can trim some costs here and there. I see it all the time on estimates/work orders I get. I'll be fixing a bumper....to remove it, overhaul it (take off all the grilles, fog lights, moldings, park lights, etc.) repair the damage, prime and paint the whole cover, and reinstall, it might be $568.35 or something. I'll see that final number scratched off, and one of the estimators will have written..."agreed price - $500"

The paint shop which gave my buddy a good deal is actually very well known in town. He does more of the show cars, custom paint jobs and so forth, and has a HUGE shop. He is in the painting only business, and not really a "body shop", the place that quoted me my paint job is an auto body repair place. So I'm not sure if that could be another reason why he charges so much. The "cheap" place warranties his paint/clear coat for life, and if there is ever an issue he will fix it for free. The auto body place puts no warranty on his paint job, but does on his repairs. In fact he has it listed on his paper(quote), that if there is an issue, to call Rick at blah, blah, blah, I called that number and it happened to be the same guy my buddy with the s-10 got painted at. So...I'm just a bit confused lol

fr34kout said:
To answer some of the questions you have, the reason they won't take panels you removed and just spray it is because #1 they want to make money on labor, and #2 they aren't going to be able to blend and match the paint with the panels off the car. Also with your clear coat in the condition it's in, they can't just bodywork the problem areas and spray right over the old paint like they can on a lot of cars. They need to sand down ALL of the messed up areas down to pretty much bare metal, that's a lot more labor than normal.

At that rate, I could be two toned like harmless :undecided: Leave it bare metal on the bottom and black up top.

Porkins said:

And I am undecided on that video. It's either the dumbest thing I have ever seen, or the smartest/coolest. However I wouldn't be putting plasti-dip on an Audi like that.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
And I am undecided on that video. It's either the dumbest thing I have ever seen, or the smartest/coolest. However I wouldn't be putting plasti-dip on an Audi like that.

The part that was cut off at the end...

"Now you are ready to commit crime and drive away in your own vehicle. When the cops review any security footage in the area, they will be looking for a flat black car. When you get home, pull off the plasti dip, and they will be none the wiser!" :thumbsup:

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
Im sorry but those prices were retarded. I paid WAY less to have my truck painted,and it is all ONE OFF custom coloring with some detailed touches,pearl,shaved roof rack,fixing the previous shaved tailgate,bunch of minor dings and scratches etc. and were talking cut and buffed also. and ALL jambs PROPERLY sprayed etc.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online