High Mileage?

L79racer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Looking for info on high mileage and problems. How much mileage do you have and any problems? Looking to pick up a used Envoy with 100,000 miles on it. Can these go 150,000 plus? Motor, transmission and transfer case problems with high mileage? Thanks in advance.

L79racer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Have to add, this is for my son. He just got his license and loves my truck so looking to get him one. My wife also drives a 2009 Traverse. I posted this on the other website and got some high mileage responses.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Are there any service records? I have 151,500 and bought it at 140,000. Replaced the fuel pump and I'm sure I'll need to do the fan clutch at some point. I'd say if the trans, t-case have been serviced and are in good shape the rest is regular pm stuff that it will need. Good news is the info here can get you through a TON of diy stuff!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My 06 has 150K and I would drive it anywhere. Really reliable. I know of a few members over 200K without major issues.

If you change fluids and keep up on basic maintanence these trucks do really weel and last a good while.

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
I have an 02 with 160 plus on it. Drove it this week to MD and back, about 900 miles. No problems. Only problem major problem I have had was the transmission. I think the previous owner overworked it towing a travel trailer.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I have 183,000 miles on mine now, still runs great :wootwoot:

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
190K+ on my '02 TB, and other than usual items (fan clutch, plugs, tires, brakes, thermostat, etc, etc), the vehicle starts and runs like new......no major issues or repairs.

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Ditto here. 168k and lovin' it. If the shocks/struts are original, count on replacing at 120-140k if not earlier. Other "soft" suspension parts are not all that expensive. If it's a 4x4, the transfer case need service every 50k...important and front axle seals tend to leak at higher mileage. I6 engines have been known to need new engine mounts. Gel filled mounts show leakage if bad or going bad. Optional rear air suspensions are an expensive pain...bags and compressor will fail. If you have rear springs, no problemo. Expect normal ac component issues. Front wheel hubs generally need replacing by 130-140k. Aftermarket parts are reasonable. Other weak links like rad fan clutch have been mentioned. These are tough vehicles and owners generally don't give them up.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I only have about 135000km which is roughly 83000m and the only real problem has been the fuel level sender but I replaced the pump/sender as one unit and all is good.. Love to drive it though.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
can a mod delete this post please.. double posted due to my computer freezing up..

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, these things are tanks if taken care of correctly... which is key for anything...

my SS on the other hand just spun a bearing a month ago with only 40k miles on the ticker, so im getting a new motor under wanrranty... but there were other issues that led up to that.. for the I6 folks... things are tanks...

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
138k on mine. As far as the engine, I think its bullet proof. I don't hesitate tow to my travel trailer with it on trips. The good news is that it has never left us stranded. The bad news is that is the single most expensive vehicle I have ever owned. Every 3 - 12 months since I bought it (with 56k) it needs $250 - $1200 worth of non-maintenance repairs. And I do keep up with all scheduled maintenance, in fact I'm pretty meticulous about it.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Yea, this thread comes up from time to time and I always feel like I need to post. There are a few trucks that have more miles then I, but they are certainly in the minority.

I am at 246,000 estimated miles. I say estimated because my odometer is off due to the larger tires. I was pretty negligent in maintenance in my trucks early life. I was good about oil changes, but that was about it. I changed transfer case and both diffs at 150k and am doing all three every 50k now. My transmission I left alone based on recommendations.

To date I have replaced the Starter, wheel hubs, alternator, AC compressor, and water pump. In my opinion those are pretty normal parts to replace given my mileage, and they are still cheaper then having to make car payments. I did have to replace the tranny at 210k miles, that has been the only major replacement I have needed.

I fully intend on breaking 300k miles on this truck. I also have purchased a parts truck and fully intend on replacing the engine sometime down the road. I will not mess with car payments for a while.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online