HID HIGH bEAM?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Why exactly is it not a good idea to run 9005 HIDs in our high beams?

gsf1200m

Dec 15, 2011
They will take a few seconds to reach full brightness. The quad beam mod would be good to have if you put HIDs in the highs.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I had HID highs in my envoy. Just make sure u have the quad beam mod as stated. It does take a amount of time for the bulbs to reach their full potential. Ur flash to pass will pretty much be eliminated.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
As others have said, the main issue is the time it takes for HID to warm up. Since they won't be at full power for 20 seconds or so, when you flip on the highs, you have almost light, and you are presumably already at speed. Definitely do the quad-beam mod, which allows the low beams to stay on when the highs are on. Even without HID high beams, the quad-beam mod is excellent.

As for the flash-to-pass, its not that they won't work, but since they are not instant on, if you flash at someone, all that really happens is the high beams flicker.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
The other issue you'll have is if you live in an area where you face oncoming traffic frequently. Turning your high beams on and off will shorten the life of your HIDs.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Quad beam is done has been since ah some time this year.

Nvm the high beam hid its dumb dumb idea :banghead:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
For brighter highs you could get Philips Essential Power. You'll also need a relay harness so you don't fry your OEM wiring.

[EBAY]140737171905[/EBAY]

[EBAY]130794191508[/EBAY]

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
For brighter highs you could get Philips Essential Power. You'll also need a relay harness so you don't fry your OEM wiring.

I like it. I don't run my truck at night a whole lot, but those would work good with the quad beams

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
xhondastyle07x said:
Just make sure you do the DRL eliminator and there's nothing to worry about

What does the DRL have to do with our high beams???

I plan to add HID highs in the future. I do not use the highs that much and have quad beams. Even with upgraded highs, the hids in the lows show how sad the traditional bulbs are. The delay on is no issue for me, but an increrased light output on country roads lined with suicidal deer would be welcomed.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
What does the DRL have to do with our high beams???

I plan to add HID highs in the future. I do not use the highs that much and have quad beams. Even with upgraded highs, the hids in the lows show how sad the traditional bulbs are. The delay on is no issue for me, but an increrased light output on country roads lined with suicidal deer would be welcomed.

just curious, do you have HID in the off-road lights on your front bumper?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No. They are yellow fog lights. 85 watt I think.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, if so by all means say so...but if you're going to install HID's...go ahead and do it the right way! Matt over at TheRetrofitSource.com has quite a good thing going on. I'm almost finished with my quad-bixenon retrofit (putting 2 bi-xenon hid projectors in each headlight, so you have 4 beams for both high and low, a selenoid makes the diff...) and the output is astonishing. Otherwise you could do a single bixenon in each headlight and keep the halogen high beam. 10000X better light output and none of the glare that comes from PnP kits.
if nothing else, it makes for some good reading and you'll learn quite a bit, I know I did
HIDplanet.com is the forum site associated with theretrofitsource.com

you can also email any of the guys there at the TRS, they are quite friendly and helpful~

hope it helps...
Chris

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Short Bus said:

Im running Phillips rally 100w hi beams. Ill check out what you posted hope they are even brighter:biggrin:
Edit nope there the same lol.no upgraded harness here my high and low wire is using 16awg wires...not sure if that's oem stock ?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danbrennan

Members Online