HID FAQ Guide

Blacktrails

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
COLOR TEMP: Color temperature is the way HIDs are catogorized. they range from 3000k (k=kelvin) to 30000k. Its a common misunderstanding that the higher the kelvin rating the brighter the HIDs. Not true. The higher you go the bluer the lights will be eventually becoming pink at about 30000k. The most common kits are 5000k to 8000k. I personally recommend 5000k if your looking to improve visibility AND looks (5000k has a very slight blue tint). 4000k to 6000k will give you the most light output on the road.

View attachment 16937

(please be aware that ANY image of HIDs may not be 100% accurate of color due to the way cameras reflect light)

INSTALLATION Insatallation is very straight forward. Follow the directions that came with your HID kit. Its PLUG AND PLAY (usually) if your not comfortable plugging in a few wires then have a shop do it. IT IS EASY!. Follow the link below to read a how-to on the install.
Here
Note that the only thing different for an Envoy is you dont have to remove the grille.

DRL KILLERS This step is a must. Your new HID ballast is designed to run at 100% (12v) power AT ALL TIMES!!! Your DRLs run at about 70% power (or approx 10v or less) You WILL kill your ballasts by running DRL and HIDs. You might not notice it at first but over the next few weeks you will start to see your DRLs ficker like a strobe light. Fortunately there are a few option out there.
First, for the people who enjoy buying a part that is straight froward and easy to install i recommend buying a DRL killer. Here is a link to jettstreams store http://www.jetttstream.com/mm5/merch...egory_Code=JAT This kit offer instructions and support if needed.
Second is the DIY method. There are a couple of them floating around. Both require you to access the BCM which involes removing the back seat. The first one is the DIY DRL killer. You can find a how to here.
The Second method is the capacitor mod. This allows you to run DRLs at full power and keep ALC. I use this with no problems at all. There really isnt a how to on this one but the following is a post from Tblazed on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblazed
What you are seeing is the PWM reduced brightness signal from the BCM to the low beam headlight driver module causing the HID flicker.

At the BCM under the back seat, locate the PINK-WHITE STRIPE wire in the harness that goes under the carpet (be sure you are not on the Red-White stripe wire). Cut the insulation on that wire and push it back to get to the conductor, not necessary to cut the wire. Place a 10 uFd/25V electyrolytic capacitor + to the wire, - to ground. This will make the 70% PWM signal used for DRL mode a full-ON signal and will turn on the lights fully.

LEGAL ISSUES I really dont think that there are any laws prohibit the use of HIDs, BUT there may be. A little bit of judgement goes a long way here. Dont aim your new HIDs so that theyre blinding oncoming traffic. Be smart and Law Enforcement for the most part SHOULD leave you alone (notice the SHOULD)

COLOR CHANGE If your not happy with the color temp you choose, all you have to replace are the bulbs NOT the ballast. Bulbs can be kind of pricey depending on where you shop so choose wisely.

There you have it. I hope i covered all the basics. I take NO credit for any of the above information. Everything you see here was info from the web but mostly from the Other Site (when it was till good). If I missed anything please let me know and i will update the original post.

I hope that this thread will prevent to many HID threads. I know the old site was overloaded with questions that were already answered in a thread just like this one that I may or may not have created :wink:

Attachments

• colors.jpg
    colors.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 188

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Im going to order some HIDs now. THANK YOU! finally got the clarification and confidence to just go for it.

One question who makes a trusted HID brand or are ebay hids good to go?

Blacktrails

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
DDM tuning is a great place to buy. I personaly have a set from them. I also have 2 sets from some eBay vendor. All 3 have been working just fine for over 2.5 years.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
An what if I want to keep my DRL on?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:

DDM are a popular choice and another popular choice (I have these for my lows & fogs) is VVME.. they are on ebay as well.. great kits at a cheap price...

Cable810 said:
An what if I want to keep my DRL on?

As stated above... to keep your DRL's, you need the cap mod not the DRL killer...

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

I've owned a set from ddmtuning for over a year and one of the bulbs started to fade color. They sent me a brand new set of bulbs. Apparently the entire kit is covered in the lifetime warranty.

IAFF78

Dec 29, 2011
Which DDM kit do you guys recommend? The raptor or slim? What's the pros/cons of each.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I have the raptors and they are great. I don't see why I would pay more for a slim ballast that's gonna be stuffed inside the engine compartment anyways.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
my understanding of the slim style was for mounting purposes.. just easier to tuck away.. i really dont see a difference between slim style or regular ballasts

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hotness said:
I've owned a set from ddmtuning for over a year and one of the bulbs started to fade color. They sent me a brand new set of bulbs. Apparently the entire kit is covered in the lifetime warranty.

I think my one bulb is looking more and more yellow...Wonder if VVME will do similar for me?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think my one bulb is looking more and more yellow...Wonder if VVME will do similar for me?

if its within the 2 year warranty period.. they should exchange it with zero issues... my brother experienced bulb issues and they relplaced his...

i would contact the ebay seller you bought them from instad of vvme.com

Blacktrails

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Boricua SS said:
my understanding of the slim style was for mounting purposes.. just easier to tuck away.. i really dont see a difference between slim style or regular ballasts

I believe, you sir, are correct. I personally had 3 full size ballasts behind my grill and i had no problems.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
CavScout1836 said:
I believe, you sir, are correct. I personally had 3 full size ballasts behind my grill and i had no problems.

yup.. all 4 of my ballasts are regulr size... andd they are tucked away nicely :yes:

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

All they asked was for a couple pics to confirm. Mine always looked a little off to me but when I snapped the photos it was obvious. You should take a pic and send it to them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325297032.782163.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325297032.782163.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 858
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325297054.217722.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325297054.217722.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 859

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Both of my vehicles have HID from VVME. I've never had any issues with the 6000K in the TB, however the 4300K set of bixenons I installed in my Taurus burnt out the bixenon harness in about 4 months. First the high beam function went out, but lows still worked, then one night the lows wouldn't come on so I spent an hour in the parking lot hardwiring them in the dark to get home. VVME was very quick in responding, and would be happy to send me a replacment, as soon as I sent the bad harness to china. The shipping would have been more than the price of the whole kit, so I just bought a new harness on ebay for like 15 bucks.

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
You guys with HIDs, are you using projectors, or are you guys just putting the retrofit kit in the stock housing?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
TrailBlazn420 said:
You guys with HIDs, are you using projectors, or are you guys just putting the retrofit kit in the stock housing?

no projectors for me... just HID bulb in my stock housing... no need for re-aiming either...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mine are in the stock setup as well.

Blacktrails

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Stock housing for me as well. Although I did aim them down a little because they scatter light a bit and I didn't want to be blinding anyone.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I E-mailed the Michigan Traffic Safety Service and got this response:

According to the Michigan Vehicle Code, "(a) Head lamps shall in all cases emit a white light. Auxiliary lamps may emit either a white or amber light." You may view the law here: Michigan Legislature - Section 257.699 All vehicle equipment must meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), whether its a safety belt, child safety system, headlamp, or brakes. According to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, headlamps are to be white in color. There are no other allowable colors. There are many different hues of the color white that are considered legal. You may go into any auto parts store and purchase any headlamp for your vehicle that is marked "DOT". This indicates that they meet federal standards. Unless someone is specifically trying to violate the DOT standards and purchasing headlamps that do not have a DOT label on them, their headlamps should be legal. The halogen and HID lights are also legal, as they are also "white" (if they come installed at the factory or are purchased in a complete housing or replaced in the appropriate/original housing). However, if a conversion kit is used, in many cases these would not be legal because they would not meet the federal standards. Replacement bulbs can only be used if their performance matches the performance of the original bulb. HID bulbs are brighter, and HID bulbs in a Halogen bulb housing are most likely going to be far brighter than the federal regulations allow.

I hope this Helps our Michigan Members :thumbsup:

traiblacky189

Jan 14, 2012
well i bought some xentec hids from ebay few months ago but they flicker to much i bought a realy harness but it doesnt work so im planing on taking them out and buying some good ones any recomendations for a 2008 chevy trailblazer ls?

Reactions: Sib

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
traiblacky189 said:
well i bought some xentec hids from ebay few months ago but they flicker to much i bought a realy harness but it doesnt work so im planing on taking them out and buying some good ones any recomendations for a 2008 chevy trailblazer ls?

read post number 5 :tiphat:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
traiblacky189 said:

In addition to what Boricua said above about post 5, what did you do about your DRL?

Blacktrails

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
:iagree: Before you go buy anymore HIDs let us know about your DRL. Flicker is commonly caused by a faulty or lack of a DRL.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Here is a basic diagram I made to create your own quad-beam relay to power HID ballasts.
Relay #1 - Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) 30A or 40A relay.
Relay #2 - Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) (mine is rated 30-40 Amp, but lower can be used)

I didn't put any fuses in my diagram. There should be one where the positive wire comes off of the battery. The wires labeled "High Beam" and "Low Beam" in the diagram are being fed from those sources.

View attachment 4234

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Cable810 said:
I E-mailed the Michigan Traffic Safety Service and got this response:
I hope this Helps our Michigan Members :thumbsup:

While many states have specific laws regarding headlights all aftermarket HIDs used as a direct replacement of factory halogen bulbs are illegal for use on public roads by federal law.

FMVSS No. 108 Full Text
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

They are not uncommon though and enforcement is highly dependent on your local LEOs and how offensive the light is to other drivers. If you aim the lights conservatively and stay away from the colors on the cool end of the spectrum I wouldn't expect you to be bothered too much about them.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Do you know what section of the FMVSS says that? I took a quick look but couldn't find anything. Nevermind...

I did some more research and and its a square peg in a round hole problem. The fundamental problem is the original halogen reflector is not designed for a HID light source. If you don't get a ticket in Pennsylvania you could fail inspection and PA doesn't offer a temporary "yeah, I failed" sticker. Meaning bringing it home to fix could earn you a ticket.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Paragraph 5.08 or something like that deals with replacement hardware. And yes the problem is that you're replacing a incandescent with an arc lamp. Because the replacement isn't identical in design to the original it is deemed illegal. The specifics on what isn't and is permitted as a replacement is detailed in the second link I posted.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I always, always advocate retrofitting projectors to use with HIDs and try to discourage the use of them in standard reflector housings because of the focal point and light scatter issues. At least HIDs put in single beam housings like the Trailblazers aren't too terrible. What REALLY irritates me is when someone puts HIDs in their dual-beam housings. The HID light hits both low and high beam reflector areas in a scattered form (since the focal point of HID is different than halogen bulbs), throwing vert bright light EVERYWHERE. Sure, THEY can see well, but it blinds the crap out of everybody else on the road :mad:

There's this guy in his Honda around here that is like that. Every time I drive by him at night I flash him. Sadly he probably doesn't quite get it and probably thinks I'm the jerk and not him :hopeless:

Reactions: Paul Bell

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I will admit that my Taurus has 4300K bi-xenons in the factory housing, and they are not the best light pattern for HID. They definitely scatter some light, and even though they magnetically shift when I hit the high beams, still not a great pattern. They definitely blind oncoming traffic, and it doesn't help that I have them aimed up a little on purpose. The main reason I did this on mine is I cut through all back dirt roads in the winter on my way home from work, so the lights really only get used from December through February for 20 minutes a day, in the woods, where I typically only pass one car each day. If I went out on the normal roads much, I would really have to aim them down a bit.

On the other hand the TB has had HID for 3 years and has never once been flashed

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
My wife is developing cataracts at a relatively young age and she's noted those bluish lights cause her the most grief. Driving with her she's pointed out the most troubling ones and they all appear to be HIDs in standard housings.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Here's a question:

Why is it that with aftermarket HIDs, you occasionally have one light that won't come on?

:popcorn:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Can be caused by a voltage drop at startup - HIDs have a heavy inrush current requirement to fire properly. Factory wiring can sometimes be crappy for that and not work right, so a relay harness helps a lot. Sometimes it is because the ballast or bulb is worn. Other times, it is because the aftermarket kit you got is cheap and crappy :tongue:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:
Can be caused by a voltage drop at startup - HIDs have a heavy inrush current requirement to fire properly. Factory wiring can sometimes be crappy for that and not work right, so a relay harness helps a lot. Sometimes it is because the ballast or bulb is worn. Other times, it is because the aftermarket kit you got is cheap and crappy :tongue:

Well, hrmm. Thanks for that tibit. :undecided:

I don't have a kit yet - been puttin' it off because of my question... Seems there's alot of one-eyed HIDs out there and I didn't wanna get stung too. :no:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
harmless said:
Well, hrmm. Thanks for that tibit. :undecided:

I don't have a kit yet - been puttin' it off because of my question... Seems there's alot of one-eyed HIDs out there and I didn't wanna get stung too. :no:

Do it. I love mine and with the harness ...no issues!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
harmless said:
Here's a question:

Why is it that with aftermarket HIDs, you occasionally have one light that won't come on?

:popcorn:

Sparky said:

also another thing to consider... how do your auto headlights kick on? is it like my SS and my brothers LT? to where ONLY the interior lights come on and the auto headlights come on ONLY when we shift into gear... we havent had a problem since our HID's have been installed...

however....

my friends '03 Voy, the auto headlights kick on the minute he starts cranking the Voy, therefore causing only one headlight to fire up.. so he has to flip his headlight switch to the left, then kick it back and then both lights will fire up.. also Sam had this issue iin his SS.. and he did a Auto Headlight kill switch mod...

it looks like that in earlier years, or years to where the auto headlights kick on the minute you start cranking, are the ones with the issues that you're worried about..

and as Kyle said.. just pull the trigger.. its a $40 mod... if it doesnt work.. you're not out that much :raspberry:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
My '05 Voy also kicks on the headlights when you crank, something I've never liked. The had it right in my old TranSport, headlights came on when you released the parking brake.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I think my auto lights only came on after dropping the parking brake. But then, I disabled them and the DRLs within only a couple weeks of getting the thing, so I don't remember exactly what it used to do.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
I think my auto lights only came on after dropping the parking brake. But then, I disabled them and the DRLs within only a couple weeks of getting the thing, so I don't remember exactly what it used to do.

I don't recall how the DRL worked, since those have been disabled for a few years, but i still have the auto-lights, and they are instant at night, and turn on while cranking. My old Chevy Prizm took 15 seconds to turn on the lights at night. I liked that alot better

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online