Help with new subs

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I have a power acoustik CPT1-2000 amp and it killed one of my kenwood kfc-w3013ps 12" subs. Is there any subs around $150.00 a pair that would go well with my amp. It is not rated at 1 ohm so I'm not sure if it can handle it or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm stuck!:confused:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
You want to find a sub with an RMS power rating above these values (or a pair with a combined RMS value above the below):

RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 670 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 870 watts x 1 chan.

It will be RMS, not peak, that will blow up a sub first.

Do you want a dual voice coil or single? another 12" or some other size?

Also, since the amp is a monoblock, any reason why you are looking for a pair?

on edit: 1 ohm on that amp? don't do it... the magic smoke will escape.

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
kardain said:
You want to find a sub with an RMS power rating above these values (or a pair with a combined RMS value above the below):

RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 670 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 870 watts x 1 chan.

It will be RMS, not peak, that will blow up a sub first.

Do you want a dual voice coil or single? another 12" or some other size?

Also, since the amp is a monoblock, any reason why you are looking for a pair?

on edit: 1 ohm on that amp? don't do it... the magic smoke will escape.

I would like to keep using 2 12'' subs. I have a sealed box. I'm not sure about dvc's never had any. Not saying there bad. I would have to get dvc 2 ohm to use my amps power. I would like to have a matching pair of subs and keep the other kenwood as a backup sub or a way to get a few bucks as emergency cash if I ever get in a pinch.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Not exactly...

You can wire a dual 4 ohm sub to be a 2 ohm sub,

1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.png

or two single 4 ohm subs to appear as a 2 ohm load....

2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.png

With a dual 2 ohm, you have this

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.png

or two 2 ohm subs... well... rockford doesn't have the image for that, but it's just like the two 4 ohm below, just appearing as a 4 ohm load instead of 8.

2_4ohmSVC_8ohm.png

image sources - Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard

Now, as for the kenwood....

It is a single 4 ohm voice coil, 400w RMS, 1200w peak. If you were to wire both of them as the second picture and turn the gain down, I see no reason why it should blow if you have a pair... but my current track record on specific sub/amp matching is not good. The sub I mentioned in this post - http://gmtnation.com/f35/recommend-me-amp-3033/ - it blew up the moment I first powered up the amp...

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
View attachment 21699
I have them ran parralel to 2 Ohm. I had the gain under 3/4 thinking that the rms level would have been under the 400rms a piece but I think I was wrong!

Attachments

• 2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.png
    2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 70

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
ah...reminds me of my days in high school when I had some killer systems...the 3 JL Audio 12w6 dual voice coils wired down (if i remember correctly to a .5 ohm load or maybe a one ohm load) powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX500 amp pushing out 1,001 watts was friggin killer! You could literally hear me coming a mile away...:biggrin:

That was in my old Acura Integra...sold the system with the car. Next went to a JL Audio 18w6 in my 90 300zx...stereo stolen, still got the z though :thumbsup:

older and kinda over that now though...now I'm more about sound quality and not quantity.

oops sorry, I was reminiscing and just realized I hijacked your thread...:hopeless:

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
BINGA said:
ah...reminds me of my days in high school when I had some killer systems...the 3 JL Audio 12w6 dual voice coils wired down (if i remember correctly to a .5 ohm load or maybe a one ohm load) powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX500 amp pushing out 1,001 watts was friggin killer! You could literally hear me coming a mile away...:biggrin:

That was in my old Acura Integra...sold the system with the car. Next went to a JL Audio 18w6 in my 90 300zx...stereo stolen, still got the z though :thumbsup:

older and kinda over that now though...now I'm more about sound quality and not quantity.

oops sorry, I was reminiscing and just realized I hijacked your thread...:hopeless:

It's ok lol, I got this from my dad. He used to do installs for park audio when I was little. Ive loved them ever sense. He was suprissed how hard mine hit for the money. I'm thinking about these dvc 2 ohms. very good ratings. PowerAcoustik - Subwoofers - MOFO-122X

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
shrek77 said:
View attachment 7889
I have them ran parralel to 2 Ohm. I had the gain under 3/4 thinking that the rms level would have been under the 400rms a piece but I think I was wrong!

In theory, subs can handle about 10% over before trouble brews (not 33% as was my case).

I hope someone can chimes in on what I'm about to suggest, but based on your budget, I would get another sub identical to the one that blew. I've been looking for a pair under $150 and in just about every case, the amp would over power the subs... In parallel, you would need an amp that is 800w or less @ 2ohms, you are putting out 870w...

Even finding a single DVC in that wattage and price range is a bit difficult

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
kardain said:
In theory, subs can handle about 10% over before trouble brews (not 33% as was my case).

I hope someone can chimes in on what I'm about to suggest, but based on your budget, I would get another sub identical to the one that blew. I've been looking for a pair under $150 and in just about every case, the amp would over power the subs... In series, you would need an amp that is 800w or less @ 2ohms, you are putting out 870w...

Do these seem good? PowerAcoustik - Subwoofers - MOFO-122X They would match my amp and keep the 2 ohm load.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
kardain said:

I hope someone can chimes in on what I'm about to suggest, but based on your budget, I would get another sub identical to the one that blew. I've been looking for a pair under $150 and in just about every case, the amp would over power the subs... In series, you would need an amp that is 800w or less @ 2ohms, you are putting out 870w...

I may be biased but I had many JL Audio's in my day and no matter what i threw at them, I never had one fail on me. Not sure if they're still one of the best out there or if they're as reasonably priced as they used to be... I agree with kardain though, if you loved what you had and they still make em, try to find just one to replace the blown one.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
kardain said:
I hope someone can chimes in on what I'm about to suggest, but based on your budget, I would get another sub identical to the one that blew.

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't found anything decent in that range.

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Ok, bumping up my range to $300.00 for the pair lol. Getting my wife's hair done to make my future purchase price range a little easier. I was looking at these 2012 Alpine SWR-12D2 subs. These look very good and keep my 2 ohm load. And my 435 rms a sub @ 2 ohms fits with plenty of leeway. Anyone have any imput on these? Thanks!

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
shrek77 said:
Ok, bumping up my range to $300.00 for the pair lol. Getting my wife's hair done to make my future purchase price range a little easier. I was looking at these 2012 Alpine SWR-12D2 subs. These look very good and keep my 2 ohm load. And my 435 rms a sub @ 2 ohms fits with plenty of leeway. Anyone have any imput on these? Thanks!

I don't believe you will be disappointed with those subs... However, wiring them will be creative.

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.png

shrek77

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
kardain said:
I don't believe you will be disappointed with those subs... However, wiring them will be creative.

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.png

Yeah, they come with those cross piece wires in the box. Should make it easier. Paralleling the wires for my current subs were a pita lol. Thanks for your info I appreciate your time and knowledge!!

Gump2773

Feb 21, 2012
This is just my opinion on subs in the $150 range.

RE Audio Sex12" series have been ROCK solid for me. I have 2 of them in a ported (33hz) box running off a brz 1200.1
I was a bit apprehensive about these and May03LT pushed me in the right direction. These things POUND hard. Im thinking of throwing a few more watts at them so I can listen at a lower HU level.

Again, this is just my opinion. It really all comes down to your budget and the amp that will accompany. As I see your budget has raised these will fit into that.
Keep us posted on your choice, i am interested to see the results.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online