Help with 2005 Trailblazer general maintenance

zip7111

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello,
I have an 05 Trailblazer I bought used with 135,000 miles. I have replaced the ball joints, sway bar links, bushings, and put new shocks and struts on all 4 corners. What other general maintenance should I expect at this mileage? I have no clue if any of the fluids have ever been changed (other than the oil) Is there something I should prepare myself for, or just leave things as is? Everything seems to be running great. Thank you,
Steve

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Transfer Case Fluid Auto-Trak (nicknamed Smurf Blood), Front and rear diff Fluid, Transmission fluid..

Other items to look at, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, and watch for Rust on the rear axle control arms.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Coolant, power steering fluid, a brake fluid flush wouldn't be a bad idea.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As the others mentioned, a full fluid change out is a good idea when picking up a new vehicle that you have no idea of the service history on. Since GM trucks tend to eat front suspension parts, you didn't waste $ or time, doing that. Now catch up on fluid maintenance, and you should have a good truck that will last you awhile.

Almost everyone here has over 150K miles; many have passed 200K, 250K, and more, still running strong. If you maintain it mechanically, you'll generally lose the truck to rust before you lose an engine. But that's true for many vehicles, these days.

As mentioned, use only the GM Auto-Trak II fluid for your transfer case. You'll need 2 qts, and won't have much gone from the second one. Every other fluid, you can use a brand of your choosing. All of us have our own favorites.

Check your power steering lines, as they route toward the upper fender. There's a spot where the lines tend to rust out, so being on top of this is a good idea, because replacing the steering rack is a big job, if your truck is 4WD (did you notice the driveshaft going through the cast hole in the oil pan?)

None of the things below are 'urgent', but keep them in mind...

Replace your trans filter, along with the fluid. If you're mechanically inclined, start looking up all the TransGo threads here; many of us get a kit and remedy one of the weak points of the trans (which is an overall good unit, but it does have some weaknesses, a couple of which we can bulletproof ourselves). The trans can stay in the truck, but you'll have to remove the valve body, so familiarize yourself with the steps, before committing yourself to doing it.

Other things that go out with some degree of regularity are the 4WD encoder motors, some of the timing / emissions components on the 4.2L inline six (I'll let others go over these, as I have the 5.3L in my Envoy), and HVAC actuators (there are five different ones behind the dash).

The sixes have an issue with water dripping off the windshield cowl, straight onto the #4 plug, which causes issues. Again, talk to the 4.2L guys for more info on how to fix this properly.

If you have a V8, intake manifold gaskets need periodic tightening / replacement (common to LS engines). Only to 108 inch-lbs, though - you don't want to snap off those 8mm bolts!

Cooling fans are trouble with these - the clutches are thermo-viscous, and fail. Best solution is to replace with a traditional thermal magnetic clutch, but you'll need a tune to get rid of the OBD-II fan codes (and we have sources that will do this, on the cheap). That's what GM did, by the time the '08 MY rolled around - changed to the old-school thermals.

Ignition switches (they go without much warning, so it's good practice to carry a spare, as they only cost $25-30, and take about 20min to change out, as long as you have one.) GM / AC Delco only on these (you'll find we tend to be parts snobs here, and, more often than not, go with the 'genuine GM' replacement parts for things.)

That's about all the 'regular' stuff that has issues (at least that I can remember). You'll find no better place on the web concerning the care and feeding of these particular trucks, so pull up a chair and stay awhile! Many people here have had their GMT-360s & -370s (long wheelbase) for several years, some since new.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
No! don't do this! Gear oil for differentials and Auto Trak for transfer cases:duh:
So embarrassed. I've corrected the post. THANK YOU for noticing this / pointing it out.

Reactions: Redbeard

zip7111

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Wisconsin
So a good start would be the transfer case and differentials? The coolant and tranny fluid still look really good. Thanks,
Steve

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even if the tranny fluid looks good, it can still benefit from a drain and pan drop for a new filter and checking the overall health of it looking for metal and how much sludge is on the bottom. Some black sludge is normal.

zip7111

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Even if the tranny fluid looks good, it can still benefit from a drain and pan drop for a new filter and checking the overall health of it looking for metal and how much sludge is on the bottom. Some black sludge is normal.

If I take the car somewhere to have this tranny flush done will they be ok with just dropping and re-filling or will they look at me like I'm crazy? I have read you don't want the fluid flushed through a machine as it can cause problems later. Thanks,
Steve

Jul 24, 2012
The pan drop and filter is not a flush really.

Basically you take the bolts out of the transmission fluid pan, take the pan off, look at the magnet in the pan to see if there are big chunks of metal on it, and then change the filter while you are in there. It's sorta more of a DIY thing but if you had a cool local shop that would do it I suppose you could ask them. Even so I would want to see the magnet.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do not get it machine flushed. Easily done by any DIY'er. You could still do a fluid exchange, which is not a flush like the machines do as per this:

Reactions: Beacon and Mektek

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
spend the extra $30 if you plan on keeping it for a while and get a tranny pan with a drain plug and swap when you change your fluid it makes a world of difference dropping a pan full of fluid vs an empty tranny next fluid / filter change

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online