Help removing oil pan, what am I doing wrong?

fferd

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Stupid me thinking "there's nothing to it".

Taking off the oil pan to look inside since there is low oil pressure when vehicle is warmed up and there is a light tapping sound (when warm). Oil pump replaced 20K ago. Figured I should look inside and peek at the bearings, see if oil pump screen is clogged, etc.

But I can't get the oil pan out! The bad pic below shows where I'm at so far. The pan is loose, I just can't figure out what else I need to do to pull it out except to remove the rack and pinion, which, nothing I've found says I would have to. The AC compressor and filter are still in place as well, doesn't look like removing those would help, would it?

View attachment 23400

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 96

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
According to a manual these are the steps.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2. Remove teh A/C compressor bottom bolts and loosen the top bolts.

3. Remove the oil level indicator and tube.

4. Remove the stabilizer shaft.

5. Remove the front differential and secure to the frame.

6. Remove the front drive axle intermediate shaft bearing assembly.

7. Drain the engine oil

8. Unclip the transmission cooler lines from the engine block.

9. Remove the 4 transmission bell housing bolts that are attached to the oil pan.

10. Remove the remaining oil pan bolts.

11. Place 2 oil pan bolts in the jack screws on the oil pan and tighten evently to release the oil pan from the engine.

12. Clean and inspect oil pan.

Installation Procedure

Important: The oil pan must be installed within 10 minutes from when the sealer was applied.

1. Apply a 3mm bead of sealer to the block, rather than the oil pan.

Important: When you install the oil pan, it could be shifted front or back a little which could cause a transmission alignment problem. The back of the oil pan needs to be flush with the block.

2. Install the oil pan, maneuvering the oil pan to clear the oil pump and screen assembly.

3. Install the oil pan bolts.

4. Inspect the oil pan alignment. Use a straight edge on the back of the block and the oil pan transmission mounting surface.

Tighten

Oil pan side bolts to 25 Nm (18 lb ft.)

Oil pan end bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb ft.)

5. Install the 4 transmission bell housing bolts that attach to the oil pan.

Tighten

Bolts to 47 Nm (35 lb ft.)

6. Clip transmission cooler lines to the engine block.

7. Install the front drive axle intermediate shaft bearing assembliy.

8. Install the oil drain plug and filter.

9. Install the front differential to the engine.

10. Install the stabilizer shaft.

11. Install the A/C compressor 2 bottom bolts.

Tighten

All 4 bolts to 50 Nm (37 lb ft.)

12. Install the oil level indicator and tube.

13. Connect the negative battery cable.

14. Fill the engine with oil.

Inspect the engine for oil leaks in order to ensure all sealing surfaces are sealed.

fferd

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Awesome on the manuals.

Marinegrunt even though that appears to be for the 4x4 I also needed something more stupid proof than "remove front differential (because we assume you already know how to do that)".

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
From the looks of your picture it looks like you already unbolted the front diff. You can not take it out, you have to wire it up to the frame somewhere. Looks like you took out the passanger side axel as well, so you should be in good shape. Like I said I dropped the rack down.

marinegrunt

Oct 13, 2012
I highly recommend getting a subscription to alldatadyi. It costs around $16 for a two year subscription or $29.95 for a 5 year. It gives you step by step instructions with pictures. In my opinion it's so much better than any other manual. It's the same information dealerships use.

If you haven't yet removed the front diff and secured it to the frame, and want the steps, let me know. I'll try and post them for you.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
He has a 2WD. Some of the steps may not be applicable. If someone has a copy of the manual open and can C&P it, look for the 2WD section.

fferd

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Yeah, AC compressor is removed from the pan. Looks like all I need is to remove the steering and figure out how to take apart the steering knuckle since I can't go buy the appropriate tool.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
fferd said:
Yeah, AC compressor is removed from the pan. Looks like all I need is to remove the steering and figure out how to take apart the steering knuckle since I can't go buy the appropriate tool.
just unscrew the bolt holding the tierod to the steering knuckle and tap it out with a hammer

fferd

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Smacking it with a hammer is what I ended up doing, worked wonders. Got everything removed, oil pan is off, take a look inside and... oh sh**. I'll be making a new thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online