HELP REAR MAIN STILL LEAKING AFTER BEING REPLACED

Scryer

Original poster
Jul 5, 2022
Tucon
Please help. I recently replaced my rear main seal on my 07 trailblazer 4.2 l 2wheel drive. I know I put everything back on right in the housing. I use ultra black gasket maker oil resistant sealant, and made sure that all bolts are torqued to what is said in book ( Haynes repair Manuel) is there any where else that it could possibly be leaking from besides the brand new seal.

TIA

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Please help. I recently replaced my rear main seal on my 07 trailblazer 4.2 l 2wheel drive. I know I put everything back on right in the housing. I use ultra black gasket maker oil resistant sealant, and made sure that all bolts are torqued to what is said in book ( Haynes repair Manuel) is there any where else that it could possibly be leaking from besides the brand new seal.

TIA

Put some ultraviolet dye in the oil, run it for a bit, and make sure that's where the leak is.
Some of the rear main seals come with a tool that lines it up correctly (to the crank), hopefully your's did.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Please don't be offended by this suggestion... but just on the outside chance that you may have accidentally Installed the Rear Crankshaft Seal Backwards... Take a moment to review this Video I made that clearly displays some very uncommon views of that same seal ...from BOTH Sides of a Used Rear Seal Plate.

When played at Half Speed... Search your memory for whether or not yours looked like this OEM one. Featured in this Video is also a Brand New Plate and Seal Combo for you to likewise peruse and inspect and compare them to your own work:

There is also the possibility that if there is any Nick or Damage to the outer orbit of the Crankshaft Tail Journal Race... and I do mean ANY Damage... it will quickly chew into and destroy the integrity of that New Seal and allow Motor Oil to get slung free as the Crankshaft Rotates.

The last possibility is that the Rear Crankshaft Main Babbitt Bearings are so badly worn that the Crankshaft can *Wobble* about in an elliptical orbit and break the ordinary seal that a perfectly circular one provides.

Reactions: gmcman and Scryer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are you sure that's where it's leaking from? Could also be from the tranny although you would have seen that when you dropped it to replace the seal.

I had replaced mine on the used engine I put in my 02. It was perfectly dry but decided to replace all seals before putting it in place. It leaked after that and until its grave. I know I had difficulty with the included "tool" which consisted of a thin plastic protector looking thing. Like me, if you installed without that tool, it may have damaged the seal. Sometimes you just can't win

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli