Help! New Fuel Pump or Used?

Ahawki

Original poster
May 23, 2013
Problem half way solved. The Fuel pump is the problem
; but is it OK to use a used part for this particular situation ,I understand this is risky but fuel pumps are extremely expensive. I need my truck for work this is a big dilemma for me. Any suggestions would be helpful Thanks.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'd look on it as insurance. Can you afford to rent a replacement vehicle if yours goes down again? Do you depend on the income your vehicle enables you to get? Are you paying somebody to replace it or are you doing it yourself?

Sometimes insurance doesn't get used, but you bought peace of mind when you bought it. It won't be a wasted investment, unless you made this sort of decision on other repairs and decided to go the low-cost route. In which case you may not want to have a 100,000 mile fuel pump in a 20,000 mile-left vehicle.

I've actually NEVER heard of somebody installing a used fuel pump in all my years discussing this platform on three forums. It may be misplaced frugality. YMMV.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also, don't bother with Cheap Chinese Crap pumps unless you're selling the vehicle. Guaranteed needing to be replaced in 6 months. And I agree with Roadie. The labour is the expensive part of the replacement and to have to do it again is, well, expensive.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I just had my fuel gauge sender replaced under the TSB and almost had them go ahead and put in a new fuel pump as a precaution. It seemed at one time that the fuel pump was a pretty common failure item for Chevy but I haven't read of too many in the TB so I figured it was something they corrected so I decided to just get the sender.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.