Help needed for Moog front spring purchase

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I'm getting ready to replace my front shocks and wanted to lift the front end a little. I'm trying to decide which spring to get. Yes, I searched, and I'm not sure if the 81110 or 81112 will be best for me. My goals: better feel/performance, less sway, and more even, level front end. My driving: 99% street, 1% backyard, with snow in the winter.

I don't want to get silly, maybe an inch or inch and a half lift just to "even it up" some. I am at 146K on what I am sure are the original fronts if the rears are any indication.

Roadie, still have any of those SuspensionMAXX kits laying around?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Sorry, I don't have specs on the Moogs. I have the stiffest of ten versions of OEM springs. Not for the faint-hearted, nor for the light of front end. :wink:

SMAXX links are all in pieces, half broken, and I wouldn't recommend them for offroading anymore. Get cheap ones from Rockauto and discard when worn.

You could also add a thin 1" spacer in the front with your existing springs. I have a set or two of those lying around.

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
the roadie said:
You could also add a thin 1" spacer in the front with your existing springs. I have a set or two of those lying around.

Details, pics, blueprints, line drawings, tracings? How would these mount? Inside with the spring, or outside on top of the mount?

Really debating the need for new springs, but we all know how "new stuff" is... I can tell the front is bouncing more now that I have the new rear shocks on, so I should prolly just install the new shocks up front and see what happens. Except I really want it level!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Bounciness is 100% under control of the shock. Height is the springs. I have inside-the coil spacers like all lift kits use, and I think I have a 1/2" on top of the strut spacer that's easy to put in if you're not changing your shocks.

How to install an inside-the-strut spacer:
Offroadtb.com Suspension Lift Installation Instructions

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
the roadie said:
Bounciness is 100% under control of the shock. Height is the springs. I have inside-the coil spacers like all lift kits use, and I think I have a 1/2" on top of the strut spacer that's easy to put in if you're not changing your shocks.

That's what I thought. I figure I'd never notice the springs if the shocks are good.

I read the instructions there in your link and at the SMaxx site. Doesn't seem hard to do since you have everything broken down anyway.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you are going to put a lift in and you need to replace the shocks just do it all at once.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Did the OP ever install the Moogs? From my research it appears that the 81112's are approximately equivalent to stock 86's. I would think this would level out my approximate 1 inch rake perfectly and would be interested to know if the OP found this to be the case.

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Pitt, since money was an issue at the time (when is it not?), I decided to forgo lifting by either method - new springs or lift kit - and just install the new shocks. The ride is great, the body roll is negligible for a 5000# SUV, and I'm OK with the rake for now. I may revisit it in the future, but it's not a huge deal at the moment.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
C-ya said:
Pitt, since money was an issue at the time (when is it not?), I decided to forgo lifting by either method - new springs or lift kit - and just install the new shocks. The ride is great, the body roll is negligible for a 5000# SUV, and I'm OK with the rake for now. I may revisit it in the future, but it's not a huge deal at the moment.

Thanks for the update. I hear ya about the funds and boy do I wish I did a better job of saving when I was younger! My rake is actually less pronounced then most TBs (my observation is Envoys generally have less rake) but I'm still considering doing the swap. I just don't want to end up with a negative rake :eek:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.