Heater Control Valve Hoses

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
So here's the skinny...

2004 TB EXT 4.2 I6. MAJOR coolant leak that was causing the vehicle to overheat. I isolated the problem to the Heater Control Valve (HCV). After much wrangling with those damn OEM hose clips (they're truly the work of the Devil himself), I got the old/bad part removed. I have decided that while I'm at it and since the car has 150K+ miles on it, I might as well replace the 3 heater hoses that connect to the HCV. One small problem. CAN'T FIND THE DARN PARTS!

Looking at the diagram below, I need parts # 9, 19, and 21.
050602TS08-106.JPG

Multiple searches of autozone, O'Reilly, Napa, etc have hoses, however they're not the pre-molded hoses, or you have to cut them to fit and so on. Even http://parts.nalleygmc.com/ where I found this diagram doesn't have them listed for sale. So, anyone else ever replace these hoses, and if so, from where? What part numbers exactly am I looking for here? Much thanks in advance!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A lot of the hoses are marked as "NLA". Makes me think since the last EXT was made in 2005 hence it is 10 years old now so may not be keeping specific parts for them anymore.

Are yours in bad shape? You might have to reuse them.

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
They're in okay shape. However with the OEM spring clamps, I know that if you don't put them on just exactly how they were aligned before, they can be prone to leaking. I've also read that several people have had issues with having to replace the heater control valve several times. If that's the case, I'd rather use the screw/band hose clamps than the spring clamps, because the spring clamps were a bitch to remove. At this point, I think I'm just going to buy some standard hoses with the right inner diameter and route them myself, instead of worrying about pre-molded hoses. Is there heat shields I can buy to slip on the hoses to protect them?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Do you know that you can buy a kit to remove those connectors. I got one at NAPA for $9.00. But yes why do they complicate a stupid heater hose connection to that extent?
I think that many people do go the clamp route but, because of the soft aluminum tube I have heard that the worm drive clamps can distort the tube and suggest a true 360 OEM type clamp....Mike

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online