Heated seats. No heat on the cushion

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
On 02 Bravada, the two front seats only heat back of the seat and not the cushion. It's unlikely (but not impossible) that the cushion's heating element died on both passenger and driver sides, so I am not sure what to check. Thoughts?
I tried turning on the cushion alone but still no heat.

1604757865423.png

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Best way to check would be to get to the connector for the element and check for continuity. It usually burns out under the thigh area of the seat where the element passes under a metal rod, creating a pinch point and concentration of heat and burns it out.

Have you ever used the heated seats before? Although less frequent because the passenger side is used less often, the same could happen just from the pinch point alone over time. Very poor design.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Seconding Mooseman's suggestions above. My TB has one seat that doesn't work, and one back that doesn't work. It was like that when I got it, so those heaters had failed by 64-67K miles. Both
were pinch point failures, and based on the condition of the passenger's seat, it hadn't been used much at all.

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I'll do the continuity test today. I assume that needs to be done from the connectors below the seat and not from the power window control module, correct? If the element is pinched, would there be any other option besides changing it?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, at the connector under the seat. It would need to be replaced. It's a bit of work to get to the element, taking off the seat cover requiring cutting hog rings. When I replaced mine, I didn't have hog rings or pliers so i just used zip ties. Oh, and I didn't put the element under the metal bar.

For a replacement, I just went to the yard, cut the cover and hog rings on the passenger side seat and took it out. 90% of the time, the passenger side is still good. If not, I think Dorman makes replacements.

Reactions: zaid3ssaf

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Dorman does make replacements, and they are reasonably priced -IF- ordered online thru some parts supplier. I just bought one last week from Advance Auto Parts because of the lifetime warranty. This will be my third one (last one I bought thru ebay). I got it for 66 bucks online shipped thru them.

I did not remove the seat cover. If you look at it, you can put the new one in, under the cover, and on top of the cushion, and once positioned, remove the sticky tape, and lay it out like a decal, sticking it down, as you pull the tape cover off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online