Headunit upgrade, What brand will fulfill my needs!?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys so I've been looking around for the perfect headunit but been having some problems finding the right one. I'm not too worried about the GPS functionality because I already got the window mount one. I have the TB LTZ model which makes it a bit more difficult to find a unit because of the:

1. Steering Controls
2. OEM Bose System

What units would fit in the best that would give it that factory look? It's really important that the unit fits in properly in the dashboard. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!:undecided:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Steering Controls can be learned using a PAC steering wheel controle module
Bose Amp can be retained with proper Harness
So those are minor factors your options are still wide open
It really depends on what your looking for in a head unit.
Running Amp(s) eventually
Looking for advanced audio options (multi band eq, Built in LPF and HPF, Zone control blah blah)
DVD
Sirius/XM
Back up Camera
SD Compatibility

if you can get a little more in depth we can narrow this down to the perfect unit

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Steering Controls can be learned using a PAC steering wheel controle module
Bose Amp can be retained with proper Harness
So those are minor factors your options are still wide open
It really depends on what your looking for in a head unit.
Running Amp(s) eventually
Looking for advanced audio options (multi band eq, Built in LPF and HPF, Zone control blah blah)
DVD
Sirius/XM
Back up Camera
SD Compatibility

if you can get a little more in depth we can narrow this down to the perfect unit

Thanks for the reply! SD support, DVD, back up camera is more than suffient for me. Main reason is that most lights are burned out and the receiption is real bad on my FM radio and had tried without success to fix it. Not to mention the looks of the in-dash unit is way better lol!

Most important is that it fits in the dash like it should... I'm not looking to go fancy, or with AMPs and some nasty sound systems. Close to stock as possible. Boring I know lol :blush:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
Thanks for the reply! SD support, DVD, back up camera is more than suffient for me. Main reason is that most lights are burned out and the receiption is real bad on my FM radio and had tried without success to fix it. Not to mention the looks of the in-dash unit is way better lol!

Most important is that it fits in the dash like it should... I'm not looking to go fancy, or with AMPs and some nasty sound systems. Close to stock as possible. Boring I know lol :blush:

For something reasonable and packed with features over stock and sticking with a mainstream brand I found this.
Kenwood DDX318 6.1" DVD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver w/ USB and Aux-In
Although im not a fan of there speakers Kenwood makes some great head units the audio options are great. It has every feature your wanting excluding an SD card but external devices can be used such as a flash drive still simple drag and drop music storage. You can still get your PAC adapter and gain steering wheel controls. Hoestly your demands are basic in a head unit use sonicelectronix enter your vehicle and they will pull up units that will fit. You do need front and rear RCA pre amp outputs to retain your bose amp just keep that in mind it is absolutely crucial!

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
For something reasonable and packed with features over stock and sticking with a mainstream brand I found this.
Kenwood DDX318 6.1" DVD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver w/ USB and Aux-In
Although im not a fan of there speakers Kenwood makes some great head units the audio options are great. It has every feature your wanting excluding an SD card but external devices can be used such as a flash drive still simple drag and drop music storage. You can still get your PAC adapter and gain steering wheel controls. Hoestly your demands are basic in a head unit use sonicelectronix enter your vehicle and they will pull up units that will fit. You do need front and rear RCA pre amp outputs to retain your bose amp just keep that in mind it is absolutely crucial!

Thanks alot! this is exactly the site I was looking for to get a direct fitment. I'll do some more search and hopefully can conclude! in all cases probably wont get it til after the new year anyways! Thanks again :thumbsup: (I just hope they ship internationally LOL)

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
fadyasha said:
Thanks alot! this is exactly the site I was looking for to get a direct fitment. I'll do some more search and hopefully can conclude! in all cases probably wont get it til after the new year anyways! Thanks again :thumbsup: (I just hope they ship internationally LOL)

Be sure to check out Crutchfield as well, they have a good vehicle fit/no fit database, and they tell you exactly what modules and face kits you may need. Of course, you can buy anywhere you want after you make your informed decision.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Jman423 said:
Be sure to check out Crutchfield as well, they have a good vehicle fit/no fit database, and they tell you exactly what modules and face kits you may need. Of course, you can buy anywhere you want after you make your informed decision.

Much appreciated ! :thumbsup:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
fadyasha said:
Much appreciated ! :thumbsup:

So i've narrowed it down to the following (Kenwood) --> These show as direct fitment without modification. How true is this statement? lol

Kenwood DDX318 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood DDX418 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood DDX318 Navigation Package Includes DDX318 DVD receiver and KNA-G610 add-on GPS navigation system at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood DNX5180 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

I'm just debating whether to get rid of my Window Mounted GPS navigation system and get one with pre-built functionality so I can have a device that has everything in it including a rear camera.:undecided:

if i'm gonna stick with it then i'm leaning mostly to this Kenwood DDX418

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
fadyasha said:
So i've narrowed it down to the following (Kenwood) --> These show as direct fitment without modification. How true is this statement? lol

Kenwood DDX318 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood DDX418 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood DDX318 Navigation Package Includes DDX318 DVD receiver and KNA-G610 add-on GPS navigation system at Crutchfield.com
Kenwood DNX5180 Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

I'm just debating whether to get rid of my Window Mounted GPS navigation system and get one with pre-built functionality so I can have a device that has everything in it including a rear camera.:undecided:

if i'm gonna stick with it then i'm leaning mostly to this Kenwood DDX418

Hey guys so i'm about to make a purchase for the kenwood ddx418 and the website says it's a direct fitment. Out of your experience are they a direct fitment or would I still be using those installation kits and aftermarket frame do fit it into place? To be honest if that's the case I'll just go for the sony XAV-62BT. It has the same features and is cheaper. Thanks! :thumbsup:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
Hey guys so i'm about to make a purchase for the kenwood ddx418 and the website says it's a direct fitment. Out of your experience are they a direct fitment or would I still be using those installation kits and aftermarket frame do fit it into place? To be honest if that's the case I'll just go for the sony XAV-62BT. It has the same features and is cheaper. Thanks! :thumbsup:

You are still going to need the Kit because your going to need a trim piece at the very least but you will probably end up using more I know Crutch and Sonic basically give them away for free. Pick one up

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
You are still going to need the Kit because your going to need a trim piece at the very least but you will probably end up using more I know Crutch and Sonic basically give them away for free. Pick one up

Thanks, Crutch and Sonic dont ship to my area what a bummer! Found a seller on ebay and negotiating all the components needed. I'm still going to need the General Motors Class II data bus interface to maintain my dings in the car which the seller doesn't provide so now searching other alternatives.

Such a hassle to buy all this stuff when your an international customer LOL! The thing is here locally they sell the chinese brands for $400-$600 dollars without any bose or controls , etc... The higher end brands kenwood, sony would cost you $900-$1200 and that's to maintain your controls but nothing else.

I'm gonna try and replace all this myself so I hope the wiring I get is straight forward. Audio is not my strength thats for sure :rotfl:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Do you have access to an APO address? I would be glad to ship anything to you if you want to use me as a middle man.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Regulator said:
Do you have access to an APO address? I would be glad to ship anything to you if you want to use me as a middle man.

that's cool thanks alot appreciate it, but don't have an APO address. Only got my work address :redface:

Taz6056

Dec 21, 2011
I have an love my Kenwood 6160, its an older model now, probably 2 years or so, and i LOVE it full functionality, it may be slower than some other brands, but every feature works flawlessly. Back up cam, Garmin Nav guts, Ipod(with adapter) AM/FM, cd/dvd, Parrot Bluetooth Phone support and I don't have sat radio but supports those as well.

Marc.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Taz6056 said:
I have an love my Kenwood 6160, its an older model now, probably 2 years or so, and i LOVE it full functionality, it may be slower than some other brands, but every feature works flawlessly. Back up cam, Garmin Nav guts, Ipod(with adapter) AM/FM, cd/dvd, Parrot Bluetooth Phone support and I don't have sat radio but supports those as well.

Marc.

Hey Marc sorry for not answering sooner, been having a busy few days lol! Kenwood 6160 interesting! i'll check it out!

An update to the rest well i've gone down to the market today and found some of the brands I saw on crutchfield (pioneer, and kenwood) but they only sell the unit without the adaptors for GM onstar / bose or steering control!

Locals here dunno really how it's done! Is it that complicated??? Or is it more of a plug and play? If it is i'll just get the installation kit, GM interface thing for the chimes and onstar, etc... plus the steering wheel adapter and do it myself:raspberry:

IAFF78

Dec 29, 2011
I've always used either pioneer or eclipse in my old TB. In my newer TB i just stuck with the factory bose system. After years of DB drags and countless money tossed into the sound system, I just went with the factory system and added a 8" bazooka tube. Plus having a little one now, cant have a big system again.

So i would also look for one that is a double din. They look closer to factory then the motorized flip-up screen models.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
Locals here dunno really how it's done! Is it that complicated??? Or is it more of a plug and play? If it is i'll just get the installation kit, GM interface thing for the chimes and onstar, etc... plus the steering wheel adapter and do it myself:raspberry:
Since you have bose its even easier as far as the main harness you just pop the harness bring it inside and connect the wires from the old to the new adapter simple color matching you just have to solder or use crimp connectors.You have bose so your audio is just simple rcas all you have to connect is some power and ground nonsense. The steering wheel control is a little more tricky I have only done one wasn't to bad.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys! well i'm bummed for sure now. After searching around online and so it turns out I have another problem now, that most these units are made for US market using US / Canada frequencies and also if I ever wanna upgrade with a optional Navi it won't work! Guess that kills my search online and makes me head to the local market again.

By the way did you know that Chinese manufacturers are making 100% clone GPS Nav units for cars? They're a plug in play unit which automatically detects the steering controls and Interfaces with your computer for the chimes and alerts. Everyone here in Saudi Arabia is selling them and everyone is buying!

That's crazy it comes with the exact fitment too and no need for the PAC or Interface! Crazy Chinese man! Unfortunately it's not made for the trailblazer. Only made for the 2007 + Envoy, Sierra, Yukon and Tahoe.

That sux lol! Anyways to conclude the thread i'm going to buy the Steering Adapter and GM interface control unit and then continue my search locally here. Though I did find a dealer for the adapter and interface the guy wants a sweet $375 dollars for them! That's even crazier!

Another guy whom I found the steering adapter alone asked for $190 claiming it's the market price. After showing it to me it was the Axxess which sells for $49.90 on ebay lol!

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,
Found me a headunit KENWOOD DNX5360M with GPS and a original Kenwood reverse cam. The unit is used from a guy selling his car in my area, and is about 1 year old. I did a search on the web but can't really find anything on this unit! I found some pictures yeh, but it's not there on Ebay, Amazon, crutchfield or sonicelecronix! Any one know what's the price range for this unit is?

Maybe this is a real old unit? :confused::confused:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I found it near the bottom of this add, maybe you can understand it better than me :confused:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Short Bus said:
I found it near the bottom of this add, maybe you can understand it better than me :confused:

No add link :frown:

The owner claims that it costs $1026 + $174 = $1200 (brand new). For used i'm assuming he'd want something around $650. He told me to make him an offer lol

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
fadyasha said:
No add link :frown:

The owner claims that it costs $1026 + $174 = $1200 (brand new). For used i'm assuming he'd want something around $650. He told me to make him an offer lol

From what I see that unit is legit will still be a great fit for your application. Little bit of a smaller screen but that's only because you get a real volume knob and some bigger size buttons which trust me you want. It's also a non motorized unit which is just something else to not have to worry about failing. Changable led button color which I always think is cool. Start offers in the 400 range that's my two cents

Kenwood-DNX5360M | Car DVD Players | Car Sound | Rivonia Car Sound | Rivonia Car Sound and Security

Enlarge the picture it brings up the fact sheet

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
From what I see that unit is legit will still be a great fit for your application. Little bit of a smaller screen but that's only because you get a real volume knob and some bigger size buttons which trust me you want. It's also a non motorized unit which is just something else to not have to worry about failing. Changable led button color which I always think is cool. Start offers in the 400 range that's my two cents

Kenwood-DNX5360M | Car DVD Players | Car Sound | Rivonia Car Sound | Rivonia Car Sound and Security

Enlarge the picture it brings up the fact sheet

Thanks! I'd already given him a quote exactly in that range but he didn't reply back! Anyways thanks again all

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
fadyasha said:
Ps: how'd u even find that Ad! Funny! It shows 3699 sr which is about $986

I just Googled KENWOOD DNX5360M

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
View attachment 17894

I have the Pioneer AVH P3200DVD and I love this thing, sounds great and easy to use. You can find them for under $500 new. Sorry, I took this pic just now and its dark out, plus my radio is covered in fingerprints.. overdue for a car wash

Change colors with screen and LED buttons
Change/ upload custom background/ moving backgrounds
ready for reverse cam
USB/Aux/and SD card
3 pre outs
Plays DVD
RCA video input
Awesome sound control options
controls Ipod/IPhone through radio
And SO much more

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 27

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Gentlemen hola! lol
I'm bringing this thread back to life to finish my undone business lol! As mentioned in another thread turned out I don't have Bose! How stupid did I feel back then. Anyways I sent back the adapters and now about to order again. What I need is the GMRC-01 to fulfill my need. There's the GMRC-02 as well but it sends out the chimes through the left front speaker. The GMRC-01 has it's built in speaker. So according to the website if you're planning on having an aftermarket amp use the GMRC-01.

Now all of this I now know and going to pull the trigger on the purchase BUT I've gone to every single shop around here and all of them said I'm going to lose my rear radio controls. I know I need a HU that has 2 RCA outputs that's cool.

Now for my stupid question. Where do the RCA outputs connect to? They don't connect to the Axxess adapters for sure.:redface:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
fadyasha said:
how do I identify where the outputs connect to in my OEM harness

I would call or email Axxess (Axxess Interface - Contact Us) and explain what you're looking for. I had to send them an email to clarify the instructions, minor thing but saved a lot of frustraion.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Ok sorry i misunderstood, they will be labeled front, rear, subwoofer, and you just take it to the correct amp, for the rca's and the speaker wire will be labeled left front pos left front negative right front pos right front neg left rear pos left rear neg right rear pos right rear neg, all labeled exactly where they are supposed to go

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
I would call or email Axxess (Axxess Interface - Contact Us) and explain what you're looking for. I had to send them an email to clarify the instructions, minor thing but saved a lot of frustraion.

Axxess adapters have nothing to do with powering up my rear controls. They're just for the chimes / alerts / sounds/ steering controls, but thanks anyways!

ghenny440 said:
Ok sorry i misunderstood, they will be labeled front, rear, subwoofer, and you just take it to the correct amp, for the rca's and the speaker wire will be labeled left front pos left front negative right front pos right front neg left rear pos left rear neg right rear pos right rear neg, all labeled exactly where they are supposed to go

hmm and i'll get my rear seat power controls running? That's all i'm concerned about. The rest is easy lol

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
fadyasha said:
No ideas on how to keep my rear radio controls?

selfishly I think...."why would I care about rear controls? If my passengers don't like my music, they can walk their a$$es to the [insert place here]"

Fad, If it is 3:00pm CT here in the states, it's about 11ish there in KSA.....shouldnt you be out on the town?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
selfishly I think...."why would I care about rear controls? If my passengers don't like my music, they can walk their a$$es to the [insert place here]"

Fad, If it is 3:00pm CT here in the states, it's about 11ish there in KSA.....shouldnt you be out on the town?

haha! well I had my IELTS exam today for my immigration so I was supposedly online getting acquainted with the exam :wootwoot:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey guys,
I'm bumping my own thread bringing it back to life!:rotfl: I need to finish this by tomorrow or I won't have another chance for an installation for another 6 months or so! Yesterday I went down to the market and checked out a few HU's so i'll be settling on one today probably. I got the LC-GMRC01 and the Axxess ASWC so yes i'm screwing the passengers in the back seat. No longer my concern lol!

My question is would the wires from the aftermarket have the same color wires as the LC-GMRC01 interface? or would I need to go through the manual of the HU to find out which is which? By doing a quick google search saw a JVC HU wiring diagram and they seemed to be the same. (Pix attached in the end)

Only reason I'm asking is because I need to know how much time it'll take so can plan my day lol! :biggrin: If the wire colors are completely different i'll go and buy my wife an anniversary gift first :raspberry:

I'm thinking of doing the wiring between the LC-GMRC01 and the HU wiring in my apartment where it's cool before taking anything apart in the heat downstairs lol! This is a first time for me, so any pointers would be good :eek:

Now to power up the aftermarket HU i'm assuming as soon as I plug it into the GM harness i'm good to go right?

Last but not Least I have a camera already installed and all the wiring is done. Is all what I need to do is just plug it into the AV slot into the HU? I'm pretty sure some sort of wiring needs to be done at the HU side but not sure what yet. It's already been hooked up to the tail lights to power up when in reverse.

I also understood earlier that the ASWC gets plugged into the LC-GMRC01 but now thinking that's Bullshit after going through the instructions.

Here's the installation guide steps for the LC-GMRC01:

1. Connect the Yellow wire to the radios constant/memory wire.
2. Connect the the Red wire to the radios accessory wire.
3. Connect the Black wire to the radios ground wire.
4. Connect the Blue/White wire to the radios amp or antenna turn on.
5. Connect the Orange wire to the radios illumination wire. If the radio does
not have an illumination wire just tape up the Orange wire.
6. Connect the Orange/White wire to the radios dimmer wire. If the radio does
not have a dimmer wire just tape up the Orange/White wire.
7. Connect the White wire to the radios left front (+) speaker wire.
8. Connect the White/Black wire to the radios left front (-) speaker wire.
9. Connect the Gray wire to the radios right front (+) speaker wire.
10. Connect the Gray/Black wire to the radios right front (-) speaker wire.
11. Connect the Green wire to the radios left rear (+) speaker wire.
12. Connect the Green/Black wire to the radios left rear (-) speaker wire.
13. Connect the Purple wire to the radios right rear (+) speaker wire.
14. Connect the Purple/Black wire to the radios right rear (-) speaker wire.

Here are the ones for the Axxess ASWC

1. Connect the Black wire of the ASWC (pin 6) to ground. You may use the same grounding point as the aftermarket radio.
2. Connect the Red wire of the ASWC (pin 12) to a 12 volt accessory wire, one that turns on and off with the ignition key.
3. Locate the correct SWC wire(s) in the vehicles radio or secondary harness as described in the vehicle information sheet found in the Axxess website. Connect the correct wire color(s) from the ASWC to the vehicles steering wheel control wire(s) in the vehicle.

We recommend that the wires are soldered for the best and most secure connection. T-Taps are not
recommended due to the higher chance of an intermitted connection (this means you Zack).

4. If you are using an Eclipse or Kenwood radio, plug the female 3.5mm connector with the Brown and Brown/White wires into the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC harness.

* For Kenwood radios: Connect the Kenwood SWC wire (normally Blue/Yellow) to the Brown wire of the ASWC. Isolate and tape the Brown/White wire, it will not be used.
* For Eclipse radios: Connect the Eclipse SWC wires (Normally Brown and Brown/Black) to the Brown and Brown/White wires of the ASWC. Brown goes to Brown and Brown/White goes to Brown/Black.

5. For all other radios, plug in the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC into the back of the
aftermarket radio, designated for an external SWC control interface. Please refer to the aftermarket
radios manual if you are in doubt where the 3.5mm connector of the ASWC goes.

142851.gif

radio_kd_adv49_wire.jpg

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Here we go! Got my HU A kenwood DDX4038BTM! No gps but dont need it! I already got the window mount type

2b63d093.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasha

Members Online