hardened ball hole repair kit

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Hi All

Has anyone ever used the hardened plate hole repair kit? You drill out the hole that the ball pounds into the plate during an 1870 and then this little hardend insert goes in and is held by a clip, supposed to be so hard the ball can't pound through it like the plate and you also don't need to buy a new plate.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First time I've ever seen that. You could be our test subject :biggrin:

Reactions: cornchip

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
LOL

OK, I've ordered a set and I have a spare plate from the last rebuild since I replaced it with a new one.

I'm thinking the combination of the hardened seat and the Torlon balls may be the very end of any further plate problems in the 4L60E.

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just used a Transgo hardened plate and reused the standard balls. Never had a recurred problem.

Jul 30, 2023
USA
I've had my fair share of tinkering with various repair projects around the house. It's always exciting to discover innovative solutions like this one! Plus, anything that saves us from buying a new plate sounds like a win, in my book!
You know, I once had a similar situation when fixing a cabinet door. I needed some extra screws and bolts, and that's when I stumbled upon Scrooz. Their website is like a treasure trove for all things screws and bolts! They had such a wide range of options that I was able to find the perfect fit for my project. It's handy to know places like Scrooz when you're working on DIY repairs.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online