Grill Guard on Ebay made by "4 Car Option"

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
$195 with free shipping? Might look good in a photo. Certainly won't protect you against a piece of brush more then 1/4" diameter. :no:

What do you want or need a guard like this to do? Look good or perform?

Asking the seller what the item's Country of Origin is might be illuminating. See if they even answer. Are you philosophically, economically or morally opposed to buying Cheap Chinese Crud (CCC)?

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
of course i would like it to do both, and i am scouring craigslist/ebay daily lol. I would like to find a used one, but so far there are NO envoy brush guards, tons for jeep and trucks :sadcry: I would like it to protect my car from a deer, but i hear that is 50/50 anyway depending on the speed and where the deer hits, sometimes it causes more damage with the brush guard :/ If i had the money to buy a brand new one i would, but unfortunately that is not an option. im not really opposed to buying things from china, as much of what we have already comes from there. of course i would rather it be made in the US, but i dont have a lot of choices.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Shana7711 said:
of course i would like it to do both, and i am scouring craigslist/ebay daily lol. I would like to find a used one, but so far there are NO envoy brush guards, tons for jeep and trucks :sadcry: I would like it to protect my car from a deer, but i hear that is 50/50 anyway depending on the speed and where the deer hits, sometimes it causes more damage with the brush guard :/ If i had the money to buy a brand new one i would, but unfortunately that is not an option. im not really opposed to buying things from china, as much of what we have already comes from there. of course i would rather it be made in the US, but i dont have a lot of choices.

You would have a 50/50 chance with a real, sturdy brush guard. I'm going to assume that those percentages go down of course when the items are cheaply made. I too am looking for a brush guard...but I'm trying to stick with a Westin. They aren't cheap...but they are super reliable. If I honestly had the funds to do so...I would get a fabricated brush/push bar made...I need something very sturdy and extremely dependable for storm chasing.

But I would steer clear of anything made to cheap....not saying there aren't any good cheap alternatives which are safe and reliable, but it's hard to find those looking on ebay and other places. Stuff always looks good in the pictures, but unfortunately the items rarely look like the picture. I would be very scared of placing a cheaply made brush guard on my truck, one good smack and that could be the end of my Envoy.

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Here are a couple others i found, any thoughts?

1. Still more than i can spend, but it is westin :/ and maybe i should just wait a while and save to get one...idk. the concept of "saving" money as a college student/Grad Student is kinda foreign since we dont really have income..
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Westin 40-1095 Sportsman Tough Black Powdercoat Finish Steel Grille Guard - 1 Piece

2. This one is much closer to my price range, but still more than i can spend right now lol
ARIES® 4053 - GMC Envoy 2002-2009 Black One Piece Grille Guard

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I have to assume you're 100% concentrating on your studies and don't have a part-time job. My parents couldn't afford engineering school for me after the first year, but I got through on scholarships, loans, and working 20-30 hours a week as an electrician's and plumber's apprentice. For $2 an hour. (Yes, this was 1970-73 and my shared apartment rent was $60/mo. :wink: )

I guess the takeaway lesson you'll get from most folks here with 5-50 years of experience modding vehicles is that cheap accessories are a continuing annoyance and disappointment. High quality stuff, in almost every way you use them, can be a source of great pride and satisfaction. Westin is the vendor of choice here - anything costing less than 3/4 of their price is a cheap knock-off whose design MUST be making compromises never in your long-term interests.

Better to not have a guard than to have a cheapie. If you have friends who are easily impressed by cheap mods, you can be the one to educate them in the value of good things. Deliver pizzas if you have to, but get the good stuff. :thumbsup:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
the roadie said:
I have to assume you're 100% concentrating on your studies and don't have a part-time job. My parents couldn't afford engineering school for me after the first year, but I got through on scholarships, loans, and working 20-30 hours a week as an electrician's and plumber's apprentice. For $2 an hour. (Yes, this was 1970-73 and my shared apartment rent was $60/mo. :wink: )

I guess the takeaway lesson you'll get from most folks here with 5-50 years of experience modding vehicles is that cheap accessories are a continuing annoyance and disappointment. High quality stuff, in almost every way you use them, can be a source of great pride and satisfaction. Westin is the vendor of choice here - anything costing less than 3/4 of their price is a cheap knock-off whose design MUST be making compromises never in your long-term interests.

Better to not have a guard than to have a cheapie. If you have friends who are easily impressed by cheap mods, you can be the one to educate them in the value of good things. Deliver pizzas if you have to, but get the good stuff. :thumbsup:

If she gets $400 for the rims then she can get the Westin for only $13.00 more. That's a good deal...:thumbsup:

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I do have a part time job at walgreens pharmacy, but i only work every other weekend, and even that is time that i really dont have to spare lol. Pharmacy is rough, takes a lot of time, and i have no life anymore.
i was thinking of using the money that i make off the old rims to put towards a grill guard, but i also have thought that i probably should not have bought rims in the first place and should save that money to make sure i can make it through til may with what i have lol..
Also, does anyone know which brands of brush guard bolt to the frame in two places, instead of just at the bottom?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Shana7711 said:
I do have a part time job at walgreens pharmacy, but i only work every other weekend, and even that is time that i really dont have to spare lol. Pharmacy is rough, takes a lot of time, and i have no life anymore.
i was thinking of using the money that i make off the old rims to put towards a grill guard, but i also have thought that i probably should not have bought rims in the first place and should save that money to make sure i can make it through til may with what i have lol..
Also, does anyone know which brands of brush guard bolt to the frame in two places, instead of just at the bottom?

You kinda needed new tires anyways, rims well nothing wrong with a little customizing/Personalizing at the same time. Clean the old rims and tires for the sale and for someone it becomes a must have because they look so good. Get top dollar for those and get the Grille Guard you want...

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Are there any other vehicle brush guards that do fit the envoy, besides any off of 02-09 envoy?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Shana7711 said:

that damn MOD BUG, once it's bitten, it just keeps itching and itching. :rotfl:

seriously, good luck in your search for the right one.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Shana7711 said:
Are there any other vehicle brush guards that do fit the envoy, besides any off of 02-09 envoy?

Honestly I think ours will be the cheapest(besides the cheapies on ebay). Any full sized truck brush guard I would imagine would either cost the same or more. Have you checked craigslist in other cities and states? I know I seen one in MI not long ago, you will have to pay shipping if they offered it, but I think it was only $175.00

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wouldn't get one from another vehicle IMO. There is a guy with a F150 here in town that has a guard that obviously came off a different vehicle. It is so painfully obvious as it doesn't line up with the truck's body lines at all.

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
i would only get one from another vehicle if i didnt have to do any drilling or cutting to put it on, and the car it came from was similar to the envoy, like the TB guards. And yea i have checked up to 400 miles away, found one in Arkansas for 300 + shipping. i keep checking in the michigan ones too since i will be going back to visit in a few weeks.
Another Question lol. Is it possible, or smart, to maybe add to an envoy brush guard that only attaches in one place so that it will attach at two places? Im thinking if i get one that mounts just to the bottom frame, i could have my dad help me fabricate something to attach it elsewhere too. My dad has all the welding stuff and car stuff, and knows a ton about cars, in other words he would be very good for the job. and if i did attach it somewhere else, where is that somewhere else lol?

(PS. This would be a lot easier if we had a chat room option, someone tell one of the higher ups lol)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Shana7711 said:
(PS. This would be a lot easier if we had a chat room option, someone tell one of the higher ups lol)
Might be easier, but the number of folks who could spend all that time with a chat window open would be MUCH lower. It would not include me, for instance. Instant gratification is lower down the list than getting useful posts into the archives and indexed by Google to help otherw locate this site instead of the evil empire back at trailvoy. Chat logs don't get picked up by Google. That's one big reason we have a chat thread, but not a room.

Shana7711

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
the roadie said:
Might be easier, but the number of folks who could spend all that time with a chat window open would be MUCH lower. It would not include me, for instance. Instant gratification is lower down the list than getting useful posts into the archives and indexed by Google to help otherw locate this site instead of the evil empire back at trailvoy. Chat logs don't get picked up by Google. That's one big reason we have a chat thread, but not a room.

maybe if it was setup more chat style? a one line post still takes up half a page. Just makes these threads harder to follow i guess. Maybe instead of having all of peoples info next to every post, just put their name and avatar. if you want to know more then click their name :smile:
Eh, just my POV, and i havent posted for a couple days so i just wanted to pop in lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online