Grease type

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Happy Easter all. Quick question before I start digging into my brakes. Can I use the Lucas red and sticky grease for the ball joints, steering linkage, etc. Want to grease everything up while I'm in there but ran out of the green grease that I usually use out of the mini 3pack and only have the red and sticky left. Too thick for suspension or ok to use? Will it mess with the MOOG brand suspension gusher bushings?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Where the Lucas green would outshine the red is high heat applications like wheel bearings. Outside of that, the "red 'n tacky" is a very good chassis grease.

I use the Valvoline 'multi-purpose' (also red) in my various suspension components, and it's just fine. I have the Moog 'problem solver' UBJs in the Envoy, and when I installed them, I used the Valvoline and it came out of the 'gusher' just fine.

GM (and most everyone else) specs a lithium-based grease (GLCI #2).
F**d is the oddball, and specs for molybdenum grease. (usually dk gray / black in color)

Lots of people use / love the Red 'n Tacky. I'd use it without hesitation if I didn't have the Valvoline, and have in the past.

Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Lucas Red here too. I even use it in my trailer wheel bearings. I might switch to the green for that according to @Reprise .

The thing about moly based grease is that it turns rock hard in cold temps. This is info I got from my son who's a heavy equipment tech. I haven't used it in years.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Lucas Red here too. I even use it in my trailer wheel bearings. I might switch to the green for that according to @Reprise .

I've had a tube of Kendall L-427 Super Blu waiting to be used on my next repack (which will be next week, incidentally). Unfortunately, that means I'll probably be a year away from evaluating if it was worth finding (it's not super expensive, just not readily available at retail around here.)

The other thing I picked up a couple of weeks ago was a bearing packer tool, from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PY1B4PF/?tag=gmtnation-20

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have one of those old school Lisle type that uses a grease gun. Fairly efficient.

Reactions: christo829

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online