Gmc Envoy 4.2l I6 vs Dodge Ram 4.7l V8 Tug of War

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Member
Nov 17, 2012
9,727
Go to you tube and search the title phrase, video by amdrewi. I watched it twice.

Sorry I don't know if or how I can load the video straight to here, but it should be worth a minute of your time if you've gotten this far. If you caught my recent pull question, this is not the best carnage or pull, probably close to bad but the audio is worth it, since many wanted a good video so here's an envoy (spoiler alert) winning.
 

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Member
Nov 17, 2012
9,727
Please dont shoot me because I wasn't able to load the bid directly. My phone won't let me load pics much less a video. I'll do better next time, if I figure out how to from home...
 

MDBT

Member
Jan 26, 2012
223
Posting video for OP

[video=youtube_share;GZNLn8TPW5w]http://youtu.be/GZNLn8TPW5w[/video]
 

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Member
Nov 17, 2012
9,727
Thanks MDBT
 

STLtrailbSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,617
Dodge is a Joke Always has been. The Viper is the only standout. Most of the owners seem to see hemi and fall for any crap they put out. There trucks are just loud from the factory so the 20ish kids feel cool. The performance vehicles are consistently bottom of the barrel even with the mustang taking them.jokes ...... sorry this video just made me rant and the idiot slapping the tires
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
STLtrailbSS said:
Dodge is a Joke Always has been. The Viper is the only standout. Most of the owners seem to see hemi and fall for any crap they put out. There trucks are just loud from the factory so the 20ish kids feel cool. The performance vehicles are consistently bottom of the barrel even with the mustang taking them.jokes ...... sorry this video just made me rant and the idiot slapping the tires

i would agree that Dodge is a joke... but I have to disagree with some of your info here... the SRT line of dodge has come along way and can hang with the likes of the new mustangs, camaro's, etc... im talkin 1/4 mile times here... look at the stock SRT8 jeeps.. 12's - 13's all day long... same as the chargers (newer chargers)... challengers are still sub 13 second cars... and the 300c SRT's are sub 12 to 13 second cars... all easily into the 12's with just tunes alone... I know I got spanked by a 300C SRT8 at the track.. all he had was a tune, CAI, and exhaust, and he ran a 12.2 on me... I'd say that's pretty stout... i would never mess with one on the street... not in stock form at least.. if I had my mods in, i would try... but would I buy one? nah... I've owned one dodge, and I will never again own one...

stock charger taking a new mustang... sounds like he granny shifts... so driver error... but they can hang with the new stangs...
[video=youtube_share;lUuA-l_fL_M]http://youtu.be/lUuA-l_fL_M[/video]

but agreed... slapping the tires is just stupid... accept the fact that you lost, and on to the next... this video made me laugh...
 

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
Not a fair tug, put 1000 lbs in the back of the Dodge and try it again, still funny though.
 

STLtrailbSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,617
Your getting caught up in numbers. They are meaningless. The equation of speed is simple... Money+Money = High Speed and power.
Its the relationship with the car and the whole idea behind it
You don't go to the dealer and say well this one runs faster 1/4 times so this is the one.
You go the dealership to find the car you connect with, the car you fall love with.
Some people will be blinded by the numbers these people are called Bugatti Owners.

Been to the dodge dealerships drove the SRT8 charger there's no connection there its not unique to me. Its a box with a hemi.
Thats where my points comes from the only thing I have seen and been like wow that's a great car is the viper and No not the new ones
1998 GTS Coupe....actually it is the sexiest car ever made.....Thats the only good dodge... I have been tromped by SRT8s quite a few times and will admit it all day. They are Fast not good.
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
actually.. that's why I bought my SS :rotfl:.. purely for speed... 1/4 mile, drag racing, etc... didnt care about gas mileage, leather, heated seats, nadda... I knew what she did, and what the potential was and what the competition was at the time... shes not a daily driver for me and I purchased her knowing that... so yes, purely bought on the numbers... at that time ('08... SS was one of the top dogs for performace vehicles, beating the mustangs, etc...).. the one thing other then numbers that I bought it for was space, so yes I see your point there... I was also damn near 600 lbs at the time... so yea, needed to be in an SUV lol... and I actually love the GCSRT8's over the SS'.. but at the time, it wasn't in my budget... with all my motor issues, you best believe I was looking at Jeeps (and Mazda's :rotfl:).. but I also know what you mean about being in a vehicle and just be blah with it... I feel that way everyday driving my DD grand prix :crackup:

but if you're talking overall looks, interior, handling, etc... and not speed.. then yea, we are on 2 different fields...
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
gmcman said:
Not a fair tug, put 1000 lbs in the back of the Dodge and try it again, still funny though.

? Why put more weight in the Dodge? I'm assuming for weight over the wheels, but then you'd have to even it out by putting at least something in the back of the Envoy. There is no way there is 1000 pounds more over the rear axle of the Envoy than the Dodge.

I find tugs of war to be a little pointless however since there are so many variables. You could have a pulling beast, but if the tires aren't as good as the tires on the other vehicle you'll lose every time since it is over as soon as you break traction.
 

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Member
Nov 17, 2012
9,727
First off, tugs are pointless. Like arm wrestling. I found that out, thanks guys.

After considering the variables...

Dodge needs weight in back TO INCREASE TRACTION AND OVERALL WEIGHT.
Envoy wins bc he probably had traction control on, and if not-considering all x factors- had more weight on his tire footprint than the dodge thus increasing overall traction (like sand bagging a rwd in winter) Now a race with a trailer, any weight and my $$ is on the dodge. Unless said Voy is a gmtnation member.

I love how they thought it was a setup, how pissed they were about tire and results. To top it off they were arguing which gear to be in! You're in first! The one guy sounds like he didnt mean to put it in "D" and win! Like he did something wrong!:rotfl: the whole thing is hilarious.

You could add up to payload capacity and the dodge would probably pull the envoy. Its not about even add on weight but maximizing traction with what ya got. Who thinks a liberty could pull a duallie with a ford fiesta in the back? Empty yes but no way with the extra weight
 

STLtrailbSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,617
[video=youtube;itqAsEq2DCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqAsEq2DCI[/video]
Tq and Rubber is all you need.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
That truck should have been in 4x4 when in a tug with another 4WD/AWD vehicle.
 

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
Sparky said:
? Why put more weight in the Dodge? I'm assuming for weight over the wheels, but then you'd have to even it out by putting at least something in the back of the Envoy. There is no way there is 1000 pounds more over the rear axle of the Envoy than the Dodge.

I find tugs of war to be a little pointless however since there are so many variables. You could have a pulling beast, but if the tires aren't as good as the tires on the other vehicle you'll lose every time since it is over as soon as you break traction.

By design the P/U has far less weight bias over the rear axle, it's designed to have 1000 lbs dropped in it. When empty a tug of war is pointless. You're correct on the traction, tug of wars are just for entertainment and don't make a lot of sense to even attempt them.
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
gmcman said:
By design the P/U has far less weight bias over the rear axle, it's designed to have 1000 lbs dropped in it. When empty a tug of war is pointless. You're correct on the traction, tug of wars are just for entertainment and don't make a lot of sense to even attempt them.

As long as it is fun...it makes sense :raspberry:

I REALLY enjoyed watching the Envoy pull that truck, whether it was pointless, unfair, or whatever...That Envoy STILL kicked that trucks ass lol

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning!!
 

Ryda55555

Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Voymom said:
As long as it is fun...it makes sense :raspberry:

I REALLY enjoyed watching the Envoy pull that truck, whether it was pointless, unfair, or whatever...That Envoy STILL kicked that trucks ass lol

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning!!

Someone watched the fast and the furious lol
New one comes out friday and same with hangover 3 :biggrin:
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Ryda55555 said:
Someone watched the fast and the furious lol
New one comes out friday and same with hangover 3 :biggrin:

lol yup, seen all of them!! And waiting to see the 6th one.

What can I say....I like my cars lol
 

Ryda55555

Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Voymom said:
lol yup, seen all of them!! And waiting to see the 6th one.

What can I say....I like my cars lol

Hahahaha everyone on the forums should be someeeewhat interested in cars lol

Our eastern canada niagara meet is on saturday... I think i should suggest a theater p-lot meet instead so we can all go watch the new one :rotfl:
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Ryda55555 said:
Hahahaha everyone on the forums should be someeeewhat interested in cars lol

Our eastern canada niagara meet is on saturday... I think i should suggest a theater p-lot meet instead so we can all go watch the new one :rotfl:

I should re-phase that and say I like my cars, but love my truck. I think I am the only person who would NOT trade their Envoy in for an SS...even if it were an even trade.

I think that would be an awesome meet!!
 

BO TIE SS

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,497
STLtrailbSS said:
Dodge is a Joke Always has been.
I can't agree with such a generalization. My '96 Ram 1500 with a 318 V8, 5" Skyjacker lift and 35" tires. It pulled a 5400 LB boat for several years and has over 130K on the clock. So far, the most reliable truck I've ever owned. :twocents:

ram1.jpg
 

Phantom

Member
Jun 17, 2012
277
BO TIE SS said:
I can't agree with such a generalization. My '96 Ram 1500 with a 318 V8, 5" Skyjacker lift and 35" tires. It pulled a 5400 LB boat for several years and has over 130K on the clock. So far, the most reliable truck I've ever owned. :twocents:

ram1.jpg

My dad has a 99 dakota and it has over 320000 miles on it.
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Phantom said:
My dad has a 99 dakota and it has over 320000 miles on it.

Original clutch and all....don't forget to mention that babe :biggrin:
 

Ryda55555

Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
My dad had a 99 dodge durango 5.9L with 570,000kms original everything but the usual wear and tear items (ball joints, bearings, tie rods, alternator etc.) the last year he had it he had to replace the same 2-3 shift selenoid 3 times so he decided to trade it for a polaris 850 atv lol

That was the truck that made me fall in love with the mod bug as a kid lol
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 129

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Ryda55555 said:
My dad had a 99 dodge durango 5.9L with 570,000kms original everything but the usual wear and tear items (ball joints, bearings, tie rods, alternator etc.) the last year he had it he had to replace the same 2-3 shift selenoid 3 times so he decided to trade it for a polaris 850 atv lol

That was the truck that made me fall in love with the mod bug as a kid lol

I almost ended up with a 2001-2002 Durango, until I found my Envoy. Seen a WAY over priced Envoy at the same stealership I got my POS Rendezvous from and told the hubby that one day I WILL own that truck.

I didn't buy that Envoy however since that stealership is known to be shady, but I did get one.

I caught the bug from this great site! I haven't looked back since, in fact we added a TB to the family and we are now trying to decide on either an SS or a Saab 9-7x Aero as our 3rd GMT.
 

Ryda55555

Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
Voymom said:
I almost ended up with a 2001-2002 Durango, until I found my Envoy. Seen a WAY over priced Envoy at the same stealership I got my POS Rendezvous from and told the hubby that one day I WILL own that truck.

I didn't buy that Envoy however since that stealership is known to be shady, but I did get one.

I got caught the bug from this great site! I haven't looked back since, in fact we added a TB to the family and we are now trying to decide on either an SS or a Saab 9-7x Aero as our 3rd GMT.

Hahahaha if its meant to be it will find a way :wink:
My dad leased a brand new 2002 envoy slt in royal blue straight from the plant, he was paying $700 a month for 4 years ($50,000 total) i used to steal his keys and sit in the driveway and listen to music lol
Who knew 11 years later i'd end up with one too lol
He's jealous now and wants to trade his lincoln for a envoy denali or SS to shut me up :rotfl:
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
Ryda55555 said:
Someone watched the fast and the furious lol
New one comes out friday and same with hangover 3 :biggrin:

I am behind. I still have not seen the new Ironman :hissyfit: I have to say the F&F franchise has come a long way since the first movie in 01.
 

Ryda55555

Member
Apr 11, 2013
1,111
dmanns67 said:
I am behind. I still have not seen the new Ironman :hissyfit: I have to say the F&F franchise has come a long way since the first movie in 01.

Hahaha i havent seen it either, been too busy watching the envoy beating the ram in tug :rotfl:
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Same envoy got pulled by a GMC Jimmy in one of the guys other vids.
 

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Member
Nov 17, 2012
9,727
HARDTRAILZ said:
Same envoy got pulled by a GMC Jimmy in one of the guys other vids.

I saw that but thought this one was more worthy. I also saw enough videos with crap breaking that I don't think I'll ever attempt this again.

Last video I saw was a dodge pushing a chev. Chev breaks shaft in half. I would've double folded a towel/blanket between the bars, not that it would prevent that thing from dropping
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Have not done that stupid shit since high school. Was dumb then and even dumber now that I know better.

Want to see one that is awful...look up the Chevy vs Dodge Tug of War Gone Too Far
 

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
I wouldn't do it, but I don't mind watching other people do it and fail miserably :biggrin:
 

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Member
Nov 17, 2012
9,727
I came across many videos of GMT's but this one stood out. I think it was a combo of the person recording initial reaction (what was he trying to do with his hand :confused:) and the ensuing argument. Like he did something wrong. lol. Too bad he didn't drive that thing down the road farther :rotfl:
 

IllogicTC

Member
Dec 30, 2013
3,452
Voymom said:
As long as it is fun...it makes sense :raspberry:

I REALLY enjoyed watching the Envoy pull that truck, whether it was pointless, unfair, or whatever...That Envoy STILL kicked that trucks ass lol

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning!!

I found the humor in the butthurt of the guy in the Dodge. "Dat thing ain't pull no Dodge!" Like a pentagon-shaped badge is all you need to be on a whole different level of performance. Gluing your privates to one particular brand as a whole is absolutely stupid to me. There's particular vehicles in the lineups of most makes that stand out above a comparable vehicle of another make. They could make a great truck but an absolutely worthless crossover SUV, while some other company makes an awesome X-over and a garbage compact sedan.

I've owned a Honda, a Dodge, a Ford, and a Chevrolet (current), all in that order, and have seen the ups and downs to every single one of them.


Sidenote: Watching physics at work was something fun, too. "I GOTS MUH POWERTECH V8 HOW INLINE SIX BEAT TORQUE!?" You could have a motor with 2000 ft-lbs of torque, if it can't put it to the road it's pretty much flushing your gas money down the toilet, and those tires sure showed that in action.

I drove my ex's dad's truck with the 4.7 before. The overall feeling is it has some balls, but not too much. It'll chirp some tires, oh big whoop. It'll make a glasspack sound good, as does pretty much any other V8, and even then some argue that the distinctive firing patterns of some Chevrolet V8s sound "throatier" too (heard this from people who don't seem too brand-biased). It even came mated with a 5-speed auto. But I just wasn't too impressed by the overall performance (and of course, because there's bigger engine options you could have shoveled over more money for!)
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,404
Posts
638,888
Members
18,618
Latest member
4Q2 Motorsports

Members Online