Gev 5 and gen 4 v8 Differences

Smbigfoot

Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Michigan
Hello everybody!

Been doing some research of the difference between the Gen 5 and Gen 4 5.3s since the LH6 in my envoy tossed a rod. Been searching and really didnt find much different between the 2 ( mainly the short block are pretty much the same).

Question,

I found a short block gen 5 from a 2014 silverado, with 80xxx miles for 250. Is it possible to just swap over my top end (Heads, AFM plate, Intake and Fuel System) replace the oil pan with a new one, and will it run? I know the cam has a love for the mechinal fuel pump but will it work? Or does the cam need to be replace? I plan on replacing all the gaskets, lifters, push rods, have the head check. Also, the gen 5 block uses the 58 though reloctor wheel

Thanks in advance!!!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not even looking at specifics, the two are different enough that it wouldn't work. Specifically the cam and crank sensors and reluctors. And I'm pretty sure that the '14 has VVT whereas the LH6 does not.

Easier would be to find an iron block from a truck of the same vintage that doesn't have DOD/AFM and have it tuned out. It will add less than 100lbs compared to an aluminum block.

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online