Gas pedal pulsation/vibration - ujoints suspected

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I have read the many seemingly related threads on the above symptoms. I am at 130k ish on original U joints. I suspect it may be the front ujoints (driveshaft to axle, and driveshaft to TC)...I have ruled out the CAT ...as I had that replaced a couple of years back and I note no loss of power going up hill....just that bit of vibration moreso....not crazy...but enough that I can tell. After driving the same ride for 11 years...you just know when something is different....one of the benefits of hanging onto my vehicle....

Long story short. I am having the ujoints done tomorrow....I will advise if it alleviates the issue. I may do the rear driveshaft down the road if need be. Found a nice kid here in town who just opened up his own shop and charges $55 p/hour labor. I want to throw him some business and at that price it makes no sense to me to do it myself although I think I could with this forum. Still too cold up here for me. Will update once complete.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
$55/hr is pretty good price only if he quoted you an hour to do. The thing will small guys like a mechanic I know who has a tranny shop who charges $45/hr is that they will over estimate big time. Who could give up $45 and hour if it can save your back. I thought the same.

I asked how much it would cost drop out and replace my transfer case. He said about 6 hours @ $45/hr.
I went to look up the actually book time for R&R and it's 3.2 hours... total.
The way he came up with 6hours is pretty much double up the book time thinking I wouldn't know. Just be wary.

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I did just as you suggest. Negotiated the flat rate of one hour given how small this job is. Not likely even an hour I would think? I am just looking at the front ujoint in my case; 1 I beleive. I figured he has a torch and I dont so that is good too.

Thanks for clarifying. Once I found this site (the os actually...but moved here with all the big players)....I have never made the mistake of dropping off my keys and leaving a phone number! :yes: I always let them know I have a little knowledge and bring my own parts.

All upfront with me. I actually have a mechanic who has proven himself trustworthy. I just went to this kid (he's young....late 20s?)...and just starting his own shop just down the road from me. I wanted to support that....plus my regular guy is a 7-10 day wait as his clientele are loyal given his work and honesty.

I will report back when done...this vibration thing is troubling in that it almost feels like the tranny?:confused:

JCJARHEAD

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Indeed it was the front ujoint. Replaced as agreed upon, went with a zerk greasable. Got alot of miles out of the factory one. Mechanic said it literally broke apart when coming out...must have been good and dry....definately had play when checked also.

Hope this helps those who wonder about the source of the vibration....again....I could see how one might confuse it with a CAT or tranny issue given the feel/sound of the symptoms.

30 minutes.....$55....and a job well done....nice guy too.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online