Gas cap light keeps going off.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Driving for the past three days the loose cap light went off, tightened it then check engine light went on. Check engine turned off, then next day same thing loose cap light back on. Is it just a simple changing the gas cap or in noticed the rubber inside the gas area is ripped. Does it matter? Or should I just change gas cap? (btw the this only happened after wife needed to drive her because her car wasn't "working right". This is why I hate people driving my truck) lol

SEMIJim

Apr 13, 2013
My wife had a similar problem with her 2003 TrailBlazer LS. After about the third time, had the gas cap replaced. Problem solved.

Jim

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
My wife went to O'Reiley's and got the "any ole replacement". That o-ring must have a good fit or you'll get those alarms.....

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
I had the same problem, bought mine at the dealer for $23.82 and solved the problem.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Light went off then came back on when wife took it to work, got a new gas cap last night so I'll see if that's the problem or I need to bring to dealer.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Canary2323 said:
Light went off then came back on when wife took it to work, got a new gas cap last night so I'll see if that's the problem or I need to bring to dealer.

The tighten gas cap was a precursor to getting an EVAP code for my TB. I had no issues for about two days after replacing the gas cap. Fortunately I only needed to replace the vent valve solenoid, which is not bad to do yourself. $45.00 and about 20 minutes to install.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So light hasn't gone off yet after full day off driving and new gas cap, but reading on this in saw EVAP solenoid come up a lot in Chevy. Can this be bought at auto zone or need Chevy dealer? And how hard is it to replace, pictures? Thanks

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Canary2323 said:
What code were you getting? And is that the part by the gas tank?

P0440 was the code I received after replacing the gas cap. The vent solenoid valve is on the passenger side of the gas tank. I found it easier to drop the spare tire and jack up the rear end for more clearance to work. The part is AC Delco Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve, part# 25950499 (If you go with AC Delco). The dealership wanted $65.00 for the part, but I found it at Advance Auto Parts for $45.00.

If you receive P0496, that will most likely be for the Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve which is located in the engine bay and about $30.00 for the part (AC Delco) from Advance Auto.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So finally got a day off and looking to change this part for getting the code p0449 evap emission control system vent valve/solenoid circuit. Bought two different parts from auto zone but not sure if there right parts, anybody have pictures of this part also where it's located? Can't find it. Any help much appreciated.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
After a little searching I did find the evap vent canister and it was pretty easy to change, cleared the code and hasn't come back yet. Crossing fingers

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online