SOLVED! Fuse #28 Strikes again....Ugggghhh....

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
This "crank" fuse #17 of course has no power unless the key is in the START (fully clockwise) position, correct?
Correct....I get power there when key is in start position. I think there's something wrong in the fuse box. Just found a good YouTube video on how to take the fuse box out and to take it apart.

Reactions: TJBaker57

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One last item related to all of the Investigative probing conducted by @TJBaker57 in Post #38 ...is to investigate a Poor Ground at G-107 on the Lower Driver's Side of the Engine Block ...as an additional STALL Phenomena can occur because:

(1) The Fuel Pump Relay
(2) The Left Turn Signal
(3) The Left Head Lamp

ALL share a Common Ground:

pic-1176622550317915454-1600x1200.jpeg
ENGINEDIESONLEFTURN8.jpg
If ALL Three are drawing higher amperage during Vehicle Operation through a Bad Ground... the Left Side Head Lamp will Flicker... and the Fuel Pump Relay can Kick Off and STALL the Engine. R&R the Fastener and Eyelets... Clean ALL ( Front & Back ) of those Metal Surfaces Down to a GLEAM and then apply some Dielectric Grease in between and re-attach the Ground to dissuade any future Galvanic Corrosion.

Attachments

• FINAL Envoy 4.2L Ground Locations.pdf
    461.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
The GM Exclusive shop is Kill'n me! 😆

Owner calls me late this afternoon, leaves me a voicemail , and says it's fixed. Found the problem.

"Call me in the morning and I'll tell you what I found!"..I call back right away...no answer.

I'm thrilled it's apparently fixed....but WTH.....not even a hint....I'm sure he knows I won't sleep a wink tonight! 😆😆

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is related to what problem? You had a couple of threads going for different issues.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
This was the culprit. Intermittent ground on PCM connector #2. The #65 connector was loose. See green dots. I wish he would have just pressed the tab back down to tighten up the connection but he decided to cut the old one off and splice in a new connector.

Pretty sure this has been the problem all along. It was blowing fuse #28. So it makes sense that an intermittent ground on the PCM would spike amperage and pop the 15 amp fuse.

Fingers crossed this is after 11 years of chasing it! Will keep everyone posted.

Attachments

• PXL_20240830_195212497.jpg
    PXL_20240830_195212497.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240727_214048270~2.jpg
    PXL_20240727_214048270~2.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
This is related to what problem? You had a couple of threads going for different issues.
Hi Mooseman,
This is in reference to the blown fuse #28 issue I've been chasing for 11 years.

See my post about the loose PCM ground. It was causing all the other problems. Intermittent start, no start, no crank issues. No communication at OBD II port.

I have a feeling it's been responsible for a whole bunch of the electrical gremlins. Also had them install a new GM/AC Delco positive battery cable. Fingers crossed this was it.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I moved your posts to the existing thread to keep it all together and reduce clutter.

Glad it got figured out.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
That's perfect Mooseman. Thanks for straightening it out. Pretty sure this is the fix. Hopefully it is and it will help anyone else that might have a similar problem.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So I'm gonna jynx it and call it Solved! :laugh:

tokanero

Mar 15, 2021
Maryland
Gee...what a long thread.
This probably was already mentioned but when I had a fuse 28 problem...well here goes.
Started out as a crank, no start issue. After much agony I saw fuse 28 (the 15 amp, PCM 1) was blown. If I replaced it, it blew right away. Somehow I discovered that the ground to the frame which I think has something to do with the fuel pump was crusty so I cleaned it up and wow...no more blown fuse 28 and the stinkin' 04 started right up. Good luck!

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Gee...what a long thread.
This probably was already mentioned but when I had a fuse 28 problem...well here goes.
Started out as a crank, no start issue. After much agony I saw fuse 28 (the 15 amp, PCM 1) was blown. If I replaced it, it blew right away. Somehow I discovered that the ground to the frame which I think has something to do with the fuel pump was crusty so I cleaned it up and wow...no more blown fuse 28 and the stinkin' 04 started right up. Good luck!
Just for future reference, which ground strap are you talking about. There are a bunch of them. Glad you were able to fix yours also. I love my Envoy! Perfect size, not too big, not too small. Decent gas mileage for what it does.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johncouey

Members Online