Full Suspension Replacement

TheGambler

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I am looking to replace all my suspension with my tax return. I live in pa where the paved roads are as bad or worse than the dirt roads so my suspension has taken a beating. Now I have a 03 envoy SLE 4wd with stock suspension with almost 98K I have only replace one front strut for inspection. Now I want to do it all in one shot. I am asking what I might want or where to get and I want a good price. I was thinking something like this

Front Struts with Heavy Duty Rear Suspension Conversion Gas Shocks Kit | eBay

1 kit all the parts but I didn't know if some got good parts at maybe autozone or parts store that the dealership uses with the big brands like moog and monroe that was better. and I don't want to spend all my money on the replacement I got other things I want to do like spend some of it on me.LOL.

ANY IDEA'S OR SUGGESTIONS??

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Any plans to do balljoints, hubs, and tie rods? Control arm bushings too? I would be looking for close to failing parts and replace those or spend the cash and replace everything.

At 132k and with new struts, I know I've got a few things to replace this spring.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Never heard of that brand.

I'd personally get your parts from shockwarehouse and rockauto. You can get the brands with good reputations probably for less than that ebay auction. Look into the bilstein HD's at shockwarehouse, they're top notch.

mudlight2

Dec 5, 2011

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
TheGambler said:
I am looking to replace all my suspension with my tax return. I live in pa where the paved roads are as bad or worse than the dirt roads so my suspension has taken a beating.

Front Struts with Heavy Duty Rear Suspension Conversion Gas Shocks Kit | eBay

Wait, there are paved roads in PA?

Honestly for $550 you could get a new set of Billstein HD's for the front, bilstein's for the rear, new springs from MOOG can be found for about $90-$120 for all 4, and the upper mounts would be about $50. About $250 for trusted parts. You can assemble the front springs by renting the compressors from an auto parts store, or by taking them to a local shop. Should not be more than $20-$30 for them to do it. That would save you money for other vital suspension parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends, end links etc like plays recommended.

Plays I think most members wait for the hubs to go before attempting. I had 130k on mine and had no problems and replaced them on a whim. Kind of mad now because I may have gotten another 20-30k miles out of them. As of now the new MOOG one may be the source of my steering wheel wobble above 60mph and the can of marbles sound when I turn at low speed.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
the can of marbles sound when I turn at low speed.

:rotfl: not yet. I have a wander at highway speeds and hard clunk on hard bumps on both sides. Wander gets worse with the wind so hoping it's the cheapo end links. Oil change soon, so I'll crawl under and find out. Been too cold this winter!

I don't want to drop $$ on Timkens unless I have too.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
Wait, there are paved roads in PA?

Honestly for $550 you could get a new set of Billstein HD's for the front, bilstein's for the rear, new springs from MOOG can be found for about $90-$120 for all 4, and the upper mounts would be about $50. About $250 for trusted parts. You can assemble the front springs by renting the compressors from an auto parts store, or by taking them to a local shop. Should not be more than $20-$30 for them to do it. That would save you money for other vital suspension parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends, end links etc like plays recommended.

Plays I think most members wait for the hubs to go before attempting. I had 130k on mine and had no problems and replaced them on a whim. Kind of mad now because I may have gotten another 20-30k miles out of them. As of now the new MOOG one may be the source of my steering wheel wobble above 60mph and the can of marbles sound when I turn at low speed.

And that's why I hang onto parts that aren't confirmed bad :rotfl:. Who knows, you could maybe have only gotten 3k out of the old ones, but if they were in better condition than your current ones then it could have held you over.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
:rotfl: not yet. I have a wander at highway speeds and hard clunk on hard bumps on both sides. Wander gets worse with the wind so hoping it's the cheapo end links. Oil change soon, so I'll crawl under and find out. Been too cold this winter!

I don't want to drop $$ on Timkens unless I have too.

I assumed CV axle, but Kyle suggested the hub may have been a DOA part. I felt MOOG should be reputable enough that I could get some decent mileage out of them. I picked them up for about $109 each iirc, $50 off $100 or more from advanced. I did not have Timken money, but the MOOG's 3 year warranty will be used soon, and then again and then again if it is required.

IllogicTC said:
And that's why I hang onto parts that aren't confirmed bad :rotfl:. Who knows, you could maybe have only gotten 3k out of the old ones, but if they were in better condition than your current ones then it could have held you over.

Oh, believe me I kept the better looking one as a SHTF spare. If I am removing one at home or within short distance of an advanced auto parts, then it will be replaced with a new one. It did not present itself until after replacing the UCA's with new bushings. I have been putting it off due to the weather, and have put maybe 800 miles on since I first heard the noise. I will most likely tackle it next weekend. This weekend i booked up with wedding stuff and laying some new flooring.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
And an annoying wheel hop/wobble on tight slow turns, locked in a parking lot turn. I really want it tight again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danbrennan

Members Online