Fuel Leak, top of tank?

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Hi All,
Started noticing a smell of gas over the past few days. Peeked under the truck and found the bottom of the fuel tank to be wet, dripping infrequently. So I have read there could be some recall coverage out there, but I fear my 2003 SLT 7pass. with 235,000km might be out of luck? Is there a limitation on this coverage
Not sure if it is the fuel pump / sender or the cracked filler neck yet, but I suspect it is one of them. When the flat bed came to haul it to our shop at work tonight, more gas leaked heavily as soon as the truck was tilted for loading. Any insight is appreciated.

Adam

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
IIRC, it was for 10 years or 150K miles. You're past it on the years.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Yes you are past the recall. It could be a few things. It could just be the age of the fuel pump. I recently changed mine, and the fuel line that comes out of the fuel pump was so rusted, it pretty much broke off with little force. Just might be time for a new fuel pump. But with out seeing the top of the tank, can't really say for sure.

The fuel tank can be dropped in 30 mins. its a little bit of a pain getting the fill neck off from age. Mine is an 03 and I have to heat up the rubber fill hose with a heat gun to soften it enough to pull it off the fuel tank.

NT1078

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
Quick update on this, yes indeed I was beyond any claim for GM free repair consideration, so I was on my own. Managed to buy the sender for around $300bucks plus another $40 in misc shop supply then $75 for new fuel tank straps. The bolts were so rusted and screwed up, cutting the straps was the only option. Was very fortunate on labor costs as the mechanic at work fixed it, only charged me a case of beer :biggrin: All is well for now, cheers!

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online