Fuel gauge not working

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I just filled it up and the gauge drops to empty, and stays there. My mom had this issue on her 2007 envoy and got something replaced at half cost because of some recall, mine is at 137,xxx so I don't qualify for the recall but I'm curious if the recall was for the whole fuel pump or just some other small part, any info is helpful

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Fuel sending unit.... mine is also bad. Reads E constantly. I go by how many gallons I use to know when to fill up.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
jrSS said:
Fuel sending unit.... mine is also bad. Reads E constantly. I go by how many gallons I use to know when to fill up.

Is it attached to the pump or can I change it without dropping the tank?

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
jrSS said:
U gotta drop the tank....attatched. nothing is easy these days

Well I guess at 137,xxx I'm just gonna drop the tank once and change the whole pump assembly and get it done with, are there articles on here on how to do it?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You could always cut a hole (in the right spot) in the body pan to get at it from above. Seriously, my gas tank armor would be so hard to take off that if I need a new fuel pump that's how I'm going to do it.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
the roadie said:
You could always cut a hole (in the right spot) in the body pan to get at it from above. Seriously, my gas tank armor would be so hard to take off that if I need a new fuel pump that's how I'm going to do it.

That's an interesting thought, how would I go about lining the hole up right though? Or would I just have to cut a big enough hole and get a plate or something to make a type of door

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Attachments

• 080307TS03-266.JPG
    080307TS03-266.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 8
  • pumptankdirty.jpg
    pumptankdirty.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 9

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
the roadie said:
Triangulate from underneath to the frame and measure very precisely. Plenty of images you can find in a Google image search.

Here's a How-to on the OS, in case there is Google outage in your neighborhood. 2005 Envoy Fuel Pump Replacement - Part I - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum (I'm feeling particularly generous today.) :wink:

View attachment 11940

View attachment 11939

I know I plan on doing my own search I just figured while I was typing I might as well ask, but thanks those pictures help a lot. Is there anyone on here who has actually cut a hole in their floor?

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I dropped my tank and replaced the whole unit as a complete part. It was not really that hard to do. Just make sure that it is as empty as you can get. How to do the whole project is outlined here at the site.

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Fire06 said:
I dropped my tank and replaced the whole unit as a complete part. It was not really that hard to do. Just make sure that it is as empty as you can get. How to do the whole project is outlined here at the site.

What did you use to get the quick connect point off? Those are my main worry, I have broken them before and that was the worst repair I've ever done replacing that thing

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
My fuel lines pushed together and were held in place by a plastic clip. You can get replacement ones. I replaced all 2 or 3 I broke. Once you get the hang of it they come apart. I think rockauto sells a kit of the clips or any auto parts store should.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
There is a member who created a video about replacing the fuel pump and sending unit together. He also has many other videos posted up.

[video=youtube;I25z-7QQJcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU3lA8nBEEZTOHknztk5xBRg&feature=player_detailpage&v=I25z-7QQJcM[/video]

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
seanpooh said:
There is a member who created a video about replacing the fuel pump and sending unit together. He also has many other videos posted up.

[video=youtube;I25z-7QQJcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU3lA8nBEEZTOHknztk5xBRg&feature=player_detailpage&v=I25z-7QQJcM[/video]

My friend and I used this video to do his 03TB fuel pump. It was pretty easy job for us 2 non mechanic guys. Make sure the truck is up high enough that the tank will drop and slide out. We used a Bosch pump but didn't like the "O" ring provided so we got a GM one to use. No broken clips on fuel lines.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online

No members online now.