Fuel filler neck rattle?

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Last week I took the Envoy into the dealer to do the fuel level sensor replacement. Today was the first time that I've had to fill up the gas tank since the replacement work was done, and when I put the fuel nozzle into the filler neck, the filler neck bounced up and down, like it was just hanging there. I mean, it's still somewhat firm, but I can jiggle it and make it rattle with not much effort, and it just seems to be sticking out from the body further than it used to. I don't ever remember it being like this before, but I might be wrong.

I already went to a used car lot and looked at a TB and tried wiggling it and it seemed to be a lot stiffer/sturdier than mine. I went back to the dealer that did the repair work and told them what the problem seemed to be, and he started to argue with me but I think he could see by the look on my face that now was not the time to cross me and said that I could bring it back and they'd "look at it".

Can anyone else wiggle their fuel filler neck from where the gas cap goes on? Am I being unreasonable here? I'm not asking for a lot, I just want the vehicle to not be in worse shape after the repair than before the repair.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
The tech probably didn't tighten everything up after dropping the fuel tank. You usually have to disconnect the fuel neck and remove the tank straps to drop the tank to get the sender/pump out.

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
That's what I figured, I can move the neck about 1/4"-3/8" in any direction. My real concern is that it's not forming a good seal and could leak fuel out. That could explain why mileage seems to be worse since the repair was done. After everything else this dealership has botched up over the years I've just started assuming that they will mess up something.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Most tanks (and I don't remember what my '05 had) can be removed without removing the fill pipe.

The fill pipe should be connected to the tank inlet with a short piece of hose and 2 clamps.

The guys who dropped your tank probably did not get the hose connector fully onto the fill pipe.

If I'm wrong, and the fill pipe is part of the tank (I no longer have the '05 to check), the pipe must be released from the bracket that holds it in place at the door.

There should also be a rubber/plastic gasket between the body panel and the pipe (just below the cap).

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
As RayVoy said, the neck is attached to the tank via a hose and clamp. Check those.

Also, check the mount brackets along the neck. There is one halfway up that bolts the neck to the frame, then there are two nuts behind the rubber baffle behind the fuel door that hold the neck there as well.

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Yes, I noticed that the gasket was missing where the filler neck goes thru the plastic piece, or at least it's not where it's supposed to be, it might be further down the filler neck. I'm going to crawl under there tomorrow and take a look to see what I can see and try to figure out what's wrong/missing/loose/etc.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out and see if the stuff you mentioned is tight.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I drove around for months and couldn't figure this out until I closely followed the filler neck. I kept thinking this is not right. It should be more secure. Sure enough i found the problem.

Turns out i had to buy a specific plastic push fastener to fix my loose filler neck. It is used to secure the wrap around clamp. One end goes into the frame and the other side gets secured to the frame with the black push fastener. More than likely is your problem. A cheap. 25¢ part. However its a large sized fastener that only dealers have.

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Well, it turns out the service tech forgot to tighten a bracket or clamp or something. I asked the service guy out front what it was and he couldn't be very specific other than to say that they did mess up and didn't get it right when they reinstalled the tank. I checked it and it's all better now.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I drove around for months and couldn't figure this out until I closely followed the filler neck. I kept thinking this is not right. It should be more secure. Sure enough i found the problem.

Turns out i had to buy a specific plastic push fastener to fix my loose filler neck. It is used to secure the wrap around clamp. One end goes into the frame and the other side gets secured to the frame with the black push fastener. More than likely is your problem. A cheap. 25¢ part. However its a large sized fastener that only dealers have.

The LWB must differ from the SWB in that regard as there are no plastic push pins on the SWB filler neck retainers.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
The LWB must differ from the SWB in that regard as there are no plastic push pins on the SWB filler neck retainers.

It's definitely there on both. This is a diagram of a SWB 2005 Envoy. I suggest everyone with a loose filler neck check to see if this push pin is in place. Part 11 on diagram. This is one of those parts that easily lost or broken in a tank repair. However as I said before its a dealer only item as its a huge push pin.

Attachments

• 080529TS03-052.jpg
    080529TS03-052.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 11

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Thanks for the diagram. I will definitely check it out when I crawl under there to change the rear differential fluid this coming weekend. It's hard to tell what these guys did, they've not inspired a lot of confidence in me from the little things they have and have not done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696