Front suspension pulling back and forth. Need some advice please...

GeorgeLakeJr

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
A little background first... I just replaced both the front differential and splined disconnect on my 2006 Trailblazer LS 4.2. Both went out on me along with the actuator. Got everything replaced for around $600 and did the work myself with a friend, of course. After putting everything back together, took it out for a test drive and everything works great now! The only problem I'm having now is the steering is pulling bad to both sides. First left and then right and then it gets sporadic from there. Not sure if I just need to get it aligned now or what. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Did you remove or turn your tie rod ends at all during the repair process? Yours are either loose or misaligned for sure. The issue with wandering when you're misaligned is that the tires are not aimed properly, and they're scrubbing when going down the road sort of straight. Then a bump comes along, and one tire gets a bit more weight on it, and then THAT tire has slightly more traction and the vehicle pulls in the direction that tire is aimed. Then the vehicle's weight shifts due to the turning, and then the other tire gets more traction and wins the tug-of-war. And you oscillate in a very dangerous way.

Drive SLOWLY to the alignment shop and get the tie rod ends inspected, then if they're not loose, the tech will align it. Beware of incompetent alignment shops that claim we don't have an adjustment for camber or caster. We do. If a shop says we don't, flee. You can't educate one that stupid.

GeorgeLakeJr

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
the roadie said:
Did you remove or turn your tie rod ends at all during the repair process? Yours are either loose or misaligned for sure. The issue with wandering when you're misaligned is that the tires are not aimed properly, and they're scrubbing when going down the road sort of straight. Then a bump comes along, and one tire gets a bit more weight on it, and then THAT tire has slightly more traction and the vehicle pulls in the direction that tire is aimed. Then the vehicle's weight shifts due to the turning, and then the other tire gets more traction and wins the tug-of-war. And you oscillate in a very dangerous way.

Drive SLOWLY to the alignment shop and get the tie rod ends inspected, then if they're not loose, the tech will align it. Beware of incompetent alignment shops that claim we don't have an adjustment for camber or caster. We do. If a shop says we don't, flee. You can't educate one that stupid.

Tie rod ends we're not touched. Although the lower control arm was broke loose by my friend that was helping me by mistake ( which I just found out). I will be taking it to get aligned this weekend and let them fix that issue. Thanks Roadie for the quick response.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesussaves