Front Diff Seal Leak

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Front diff is leaking on the input shaft seal. Looks like a pain in the ass. Anyone have a quick write-up?

Also, there's about 30 bajillion different names for this thing, anyone have an aftermarket part number for it?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
groundshock said:
Front diff is leaking on the input shaft seal. Looks like a pain in the ass. Anyone have a quick write-up?

Also, there's about 30 bajillion different names for this thing, anyone have an aftermarket part number for it?
I got mine from the dealer, seems it was <$10.
Seems like I took the wheel off and the upper ball joint loose but left the axle/brakes all connected which adds additional weight/leverage.
I removed the oil skid and used about a 30 inch 2X2 that was tapered on one end and put behind the tripot and tapped it a few times and the axle popped out.
I had to get a big loaner seal puller from Advanced Auto to get the old seal out.
There is also a tool to seat the new seal, seems like I used a wood block to seat mine but the tool might help.
When I went to put it all back together it seems like I then had to disconnect the axle from the hub to get it to seat correctly back in the diff.

The hardest part for me was getting the axle loose and removing the seal (before I got the tool).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I popped the seal out with a large screwdriver.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online