Front Diff Fill Plug stuck

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
well this post is exactly what the thread states. dumb me took the drain plug out for the front diff before I saw if the fill plug would come out. needless to say the fill plug would not come out. I managed to get about 1/2 the fluid back in through the breather line on top of the front diff with the help of my teenage daughter. did a 800 mile trip with no problems and got it into the local mechanic when I got back to have him get the fill plug out and top off and also do the rear diff since I could imagine it was probably just as bad. well he calls me today after being in there since Saturday. they did get the rear loose and got the rear diff changed but they can't even get the front diff fill plug out. he says he won't charge me since they can't finish the job, so I am at odds. I did take lucas oil 75w-90 up there for them to use, and that is what I used in the front diff too, but I am guessing I don't have the front diff filled up all the way. has anyone else had this problem? any pointers?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
On a lift or jackstands, tilt the truck slightly to the passenger side. Remove the driver's side CV shaft. Fill it through the CV hole.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I can tell you that I needed a 24" breaker bar with either no extension or a short one (can't remember) and I had to give it a war cry before it would break loose on a buddies voy. Six point socket, don't use a 12. You may need to warm the case around the fill plug first but if that gives you sweaty palms then go for the axle shaft fill. End result is you need it filled so hope all works out.

chethro

Jun 15, 2013
Same here, I used a two foot breaker bar and a propane torch to heat the area around the drain plug to get mine out. You need to be careful and not apply too much heat. If you don't get it the first try you need to let it cool completely down before trying again. Mine took two tries and I used two long extensions so I could turn from out past the fender.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
This is why i plan to go to the local oil change place and have them check the diff and xfer case fluid before i change it myself. That way, they take the plugs out, and if they break something, they have to fix it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
From reading on the net, quickie-lube places are just as likely to break your plug, fix it with JBWeld, give it back to you with no explanation, and claim you brought it in that way when you complain.

Friends don't let friends EVER use quickie-lube places. :mad: They lube you up and abuse you in places you didn't know you had places. :eek:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:
From reading on the net, quickie-lube places are just as likely to break your plug, fix it with JBWeld, give it back to you with no explanation, and claim you brought it in that way when you complain.

Friends don't let friends EVER use quickie-lube places. :mad: They lube you up and abuse you in places you didn't know you had places. :eek:

My mom's a manager at one, I'm going to her shop :smile:

Also, i think it depends on the place. Valvoline's (at least around here) tend to have a pretty good reputation.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
I know for a fact that the socket size for the fill plug is 18mm and there is a rubber gasket. I use 2 12" extensions with a 1/2" torque wrench to remove it. For some reason everytime I want to check the fluid, it gives a fight.

Take the advice here, use the 6 point socket. I don't think an impact wrench will help here but you also could give it a try... Also using a vice grip may help...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
the roadie said:
On a lift or jackstands, tilt the truck slightly to the passenger side. Remove the driver's side CV shaft. Fill it through the CV hole.
Similar trick can work for the rear diff if you have one extra piece of equipment. Remove the rear diff cover, put a clevis mount in the rear receiver, pull the truck vertical using your 3 ton crane. Fill the diff. Profit.

If you have a tree and winch you can put in the rear receiver, you can do what the Land Cruiser did in "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

View attachment 29025

Attachments

• TGMBC+1+4.jpg
    TGMBC+1+4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 11

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:
Similar trick can work for the rear diff if you have one extra piece of equipment. Remove the rear diff cover, put a clevis mount in the rear receiver, pull the truck vertical using your 3 ton crane. Fill the diff. Profit.

If you have a tree and winch you can put in the rear receiver, you can do what the Land Cruiser did in "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

View attachment 15575

Weird, never saw this in my haynes manual :squint:

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I destroyed mine when I attempted to remove it. So I drilled a hole in it, tapped it, and put a new plug, in the old plug.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online