Front Axles... Replace?

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Removed the rotors to clean the ABS sensors and found a little gremlin.. on both sides!

The axle boots are leaking grease! My first thought was just changing the boots, then my son says shops just replace the entire axle for the labor savings. As usual, I am in unfamiliar territory and need assistance on what to do. I am more than capable (now) to change the axle, but is that the smart direction?

Thanks in advance!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If the boots are torn or have slits, definitely replace the entire assemblies. There are remans on Ebay, and new Cardone units from Rockauto and other vendors, for right around $50-60 each.

Changing boots is insane. I tried it once on my wife's Civic, and ended up replacing the axles.

If the boots are intact, you can usually remove the existing band straps and install worm drive hose clamps which all the offroaders do because a lifted truck stresses the boots a LOT more.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Price of the boots and the time to swap...Replace.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Just seems odd both sides went out at 'basically' the same time.

Cardone sounds good!

edit: replace hubs too, while I am in there?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hubs are a lot more expensive, and not hard to replace. Unless you have the money just sitting around I'd probably just do the axles and leave the hubs for now. If a hub goes later it is just a matter of pulling the wheel, brakes, the axle nut and 3 bolts behind holding the hub in place. I guess it is a little easier without the axle in the way.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
:iagree: Last time I checked the boots are like $20 each and then the hassel and mess of removing the axle and disassembeling it , or $50 for a replacement axle? I don't even bother. A boot leaking from a tear or a pinhole gets an axle. If a loose clamp then replace the clamp. Oh and for some in order to remove the outer boot you have to remove the inner boot because they put the snap ring in such a way it can't be removed from the outer joint(Toyota). Also has anyone ever tried the split boots they have/had( with any luck they gave up)? Those things are a complete joke, unless you are the one installing them. The one I tried wanted you to glue together grease covered rubber =:mad::hissyfit:and then flying objects.:rotfl: Ah the good times!

I would not do hubs just because I am there. Just to much $$$.

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Buying a house, no time or money "available", so glad to hear to wait on the hubs. Your replies are what I was going to write ~but didn't have the time~

Thanks again!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online