French Trailblazer reborn

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
Hi all,
as described in my introduction, I'm restoring a 2004 Trailblazer equipped with LPG.
Pevious owner bought it with a blown transmission, removed the 4L60, tore it down, and sold the car as it.
IMO he figured out that there was so much job to do to make the TB reliable, LPG install is to be redone properely, chassis need to be cleaned and corrosion treatement done etc.... etc ... interior is really dirty, front fender bent......

Just sold my 2001 TRANS-SPORT with 300 000km to buy this project, gonna proceed to a complete rebuilt.
Let's see the disaster :

Attachments

• 20211101_152435[1].jpg
    20211101_152435[1].jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211231_150904[1].jpg
    20211231_150904[1].jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220109_113226[1].jpg
    20220109_113226[1].jpg
    398 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220109_154002[1].jpg
    20220109_154002[1].jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220109_163621[1].jpg
    20220109_163621[1].jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220109_163642[1].jpg
    20220109_163642[1].jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 17

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's nothing like trying to finish someone else's incomplete project. I'm sure you'll succeed in bringing it back from the dead. Body seems to be in pretty good shape but what happened to the rear bumper and the rear interior?

I'm surprised by the amount of rust, something I would expect to see from one here. Could be where you're located in France and the type of winters you get. We have another member near Paris that doesn't get that much rust but has to treat it every so often to pass safety checks.

Will be interesting following your build.

OP
Jeantalus

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
LPG, as in liquid petroleum gas? How does that play with the computer?
Price, mileage?
That's it, Liquid petroleum gas, you have a specific computeur and an injectors switch/relay .
The LPG ECU is wired in piggy-back to the stock ECU to recieve signals from sensors like O2 sensors, coolant temp, crankshaft signal etc, to manage LPG opening time and sequence.
When you have sufficient Coolant temp to heat te pressure reducer, the LPG ECU switches from gasoline injectors to LPG injectors and the STOCK ecu get a simulated gasoline injectors signal from LPG switch/relay.
Price is 0.80€ per liter, and for the mileage, your consuption is increased about 20%.

OP
Jeantalus

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
There's nothing like trying to finish someone else's incomplete project. I'm sure you'll succeed in bringing it back from the dead. Body seems to be in pretty good shape but what happened to the rear bumper and the rear interior?

I'm surprised by the amount of rust, something I would expect to see from one here. Could be where you're located in France and the type of winters you get. We have another member near Paris that doesn't get that much rust but has to treat it every so often to pass safety checks.

Will be interesting following your build.
Body has paint scuff on each panel and the RH front fender is bent.
About the rust, this car has been driving in the north of France since it was new, in winter they put salt on icy roads and that's why I have rust on the frame.
The interior is really dirty because of oil cans and parts stored inside.......w
Everywhere in France you have to pass safety checks every 2 years except classic cars with classic title, that's every 5 years like my Oldsmobile.

Attachments

• 20220110_190552[1].jpg
    20220110_190552[1].jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220110_200743[1].jpg
    20220110_200743[1].jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220110_190150[1].jpg
    20220110_190150[1].jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 7

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It is a shame that most Auto Component Sellers on eBay almost exclusively Ship their Goods to places within the Continental United States (sometimes for FREE), but seldom Overseas.

Perhaps 'eBay in France' has Complete Seating Sets like THIS to offer you at a comparable price and be much more local to you as well. Perhaps getting some Seats like THIS would be... pas trop mal?

OP
Jeantalus

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
It is a shame that most Auto Component Sellers on eBay almost exclusively Ship their Goods to places within the Continental United States (sometimes for FREE), but seldom Overseas.

Perhaps 'eBay in France' has Complete Seating Sets like THIS to offer you at a comparable price and be much more local to you as well. Perhaps getting some Seats like THIS would be... pas trop mal?

Gonna clean the interior with "tornador" and a good "all purpose classic " cleaner.

Most of the time, the shipping is really a problem, when I order parts , I'm just shot with shipping cost, it's often more expensive than the part price.

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes, I know all too well about the shipping costs. Have sent a few packages over there and it can be costly. Amazon can be a source of certain parts with lower shipping costs as they can use their volume shipping pricing to alleviate that. RockAuto is also a good source for parts however shipping costs are not discounted.

It is a shame that France has their own "rust belt". I would have thought they would have used a more environmentally friendly ice melter over there but I guess costs come into play everywhere :frown:

Reactions: xavierny25

northcreek

Guru
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That's it, Liquid petroleum gas, you have a specific computeur and an injectors switch/relay .
The LPG ECU is wired in piggy-back to the stock ECU to recieve signals from sensors like O2 sensors, coolant temp, crankshaft signal etc, to manage LPG opening time and sequence.
When you have sufficient Coolant temp to heat te pressure reducer, the LPG ECU switches from gasoline injectors to LPG injectors and the STOCK ecu get a simulated gasoline injectors signal from LPG switch/relay.
Price is 0.80€ per liter, and for the mileage, your consuption is increased about 20%.
Wondering if it's worth all the added hardware for such a small return...:undecided:
ps I know that you didn't buy it new but, somebody paid a bunch of $$ for that barbecue wanna-be on wheels...:biggrin:

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With gasoline so much more expensive in France (currently €1.74/L, $2.49CAD/L, $1.98USD/L or $7.49USD/US gal.), they look for every alternative fuel possible. Those with big vehicles like this with less than stellar fuel efficiency, it really hurts them.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Jul 22, 2015
GM offered the full-size pickups with CNG capability, at the same time the 360s were built, so it shouldn't be TOO difficult to adapt this to LNG. Provided the regulatory / registration process won't be too onerous over there, that's the way I'd go with this, as well.

Subscribing to thread (and 'Welcome' to our new member!) 🇫🇷

northcreek

Guru
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
With gasoline so much more expensive in France (currently €1.74/L, $2.49CAD/L, $1.98USD/L or $7.49USD/US gal.), they look for every alternative fuel possible. Those with big vehicles like this with less than stellar fuel efficiency, it really hurts them.
Yeah, I guess we in the States have been spoiled by relatively cheap gas for most of our lives...

OP
Jeantalus

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france
Wondering if it's worth all the added hardware for such a small return...:undecided:
ps I know that you didn't buy it new but, somebody paid a bunch of $$ for that barbecue wanna-be on wheels...:biggrin:
There is another reason to install this stuff except gasoline cost in France.
In cities in France, you have restrictions to drive your car, you are categorized by a number "crit'air" it depends on your car's emissions, recent cars are better than old cars for emissions, and when you have a LPG equipped car, doesn't matter the year of your car, you are in the best category so you can drive in the center city .

NJTB

Platinum Donor
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Never knew that. Emissions over there must be a real pain in the ass.
How is that enforced, and how long is the sticker good for?

OP
Jeantalus

Jeantalus

Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
france

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And we thought California was crazy!

Did read up on propane use in cars and they are cleaner than even electric due to power generation required to charge the batteries. Funny that it fell out of favour in North America.

Reactions: Reprise

Matt

Guru
Dec 2, 2011
And we thought California was crazy!

Did read up on propane use in cars and they are cleaner than even electric due to power generation required to charge the batteries. Funny that it fell out of favour in North America.

All the taxi's back home run LPG and have for 30+ years. Ford and Holden back then offered it as an option on the Falcons and Commodores.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Funny that it fell out of favour in North America.
Probably a good thing that it never caught on. I could see the YT vids now of people blowing up their vehicles (yes, I know there are all kinds of safeguards built in -- but you can never underestimate Americans!)

With CNG, my concern was the fueling infrastructure. I had considered a CNG Civic, once upon a time (Honda sold them; the big tank took up most of the trunk). But the time to refuel, fueling locations, and lessened range (about 200 Imperial mi. / tank) made me shelve the idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman

NJTB

Platinum Donor
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Just read that Crit'Air link you sent. Loved the part where it says 'the zones can change in 24 hours'. What do you do if you're innocently stuck in a zone with the wrong sticker?
That would drive me nuts.

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think we're going off track here since this is a build thread and not an LPG or emissions thread. We should let @Jeantalus post his progress.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markhoez

Members Online

Members Online

Members Online