Found a 2002 Envoy 4x4. 58K miles with G80 and GT5 differential. Worth the upgrade from my current Envoy?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My current Envoy is 4x4 and has 197 K miles. Runs perfect. I'm second owner but know the original owner and all of the maintenance before I purchased it. I've owned it for 13 years and have done alot of work to to it. It has been meticulously maintained. With the exception of a little piston slap that goes away when warmed up, and a little bit of oil consumption, (1 qt or a little less in 4000 miles) The Envoy is perfect. My Envoy has the standard differential and is the 3.42 ratio. I installed a PCM for less transmission cooler.

I have a small trailer that I tow, 2900 GVW. The Envoy does OK as long as I leave it in 3rd. It lags on the long hills so was thinking the 4.10 might help in that area.

Only get around 12 MPG when towing but I guess that's normal. I do mostly desert camping and do use the 4x4 but not in extreme conditions. Mostly sand wash roads and canyons and some small hills.

Would it be worth getting the G80 and the 4.10 gear ratio? The dealer is asking $8500 which I think is a little steep but can probably get it for less. Also, what would be a reasonable offer?

I like the size of the std Envoy as it allows me to get into some tighter areas but am considering looking for a similar year Tahoe with the 5.3 and the Tow Haul feature for the transmission.. This is my dilemma. :smile: Any input is appreciated.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You dont mention if the one you currently have is a 4.2 or a 5.3, if if the low mileage one is a 4.2 or a 5.3.

Where is this at? Rust may be an issue to consider depending on the area too.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
You dont mention if the one you currently have is a 4.2 or a 5.3, if if the low mileage one is a 4.2 or a 5.3.

Where is this at? Rust may be an issue to consider depending on the area too.
Both are the 4.2. Mine is originally from Michigan for a year or two. The rest of it's life has been S. California. The low mileage one was first sold in S.California and remains here.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
4.10 gears are fun.. But the hit to all around fuel mileage is actually pretty substantial.
3.73 gears are great. Had them in my Saab. Never really a lacking for power.
3.42 gears are really under powered for the vehicle. My Envoy has them too.

My Envoy routinely gets 16.8 MPG
My Saab got 15.6 MPG
I have heard that the 4.10 gets down into the 13's MPG

The 3.73 GT4 is the best of both worlds really

Would I buy it? Maybe.. Would have to see pics, and options.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I rarely tow but the GT4 or GT5 would be nice. I've never been stuck with my standard differential. My freeway mileage right around 17 mpg. If I stay under 70 I can often get closer to 19 mpg.

If the GT5 really only gets around 13 mpg then I will pass on it. Maybe I'll look for one with the GT4/3.73 Or just look for a newer Tahoe as I like the Tow Haul Feature with the transmission and software for it when towing.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The tow haul feature I thought could be added to our platform.?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope unless maybe on the 5.3.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Tow/Haul feature not possible on the 4.2 . This I know as I talked about this with PCM Of North Carolina when they send me an updated ECM when my original one went bad .

They suggested having another one ready with better towing parameters and install it for when I am towing. It seemed like a good idea but I think I'd rather go with a Tahoe, with the 5.3 and set up with factory tow haul.

I'll keep my Envoy and just use it for day trips or trips I'm not towing anything. I do enjoy the occasional 19-20 mpg when I baby it on road trips.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Coming in late here, but my preference in your situation would be to keep the vehicle I knew the history of and knew to be reliable, from your description.

I actually did the research on adding tow/haul to my 5.3 Envoy w/ 3.73s. It has an E59 PCM, so it's relatively child's play to activate it, if you have a tuner. But I decided to get another tow vehicle in the end, because I tow heavier, and the HD truck platform provides a lot of benefit for the same mileage (about 8, maybe 10 on a really favorable route, and I do have a 4.10).

With your tow weight, I'd find an 8.6 rear (which is what the 5.3s got) and swap it in. Those are plentiful and have support -- so while a lot of them got factory 3.73, you could easily find / swap to a non-OEM ratio. 3.83, 3.92... the world is your oyster.

Personally, I wouldn't put a 4.10 in, unless you're towing daily with the thing. You will hate it after about two fillups, w/ Cali gas prices. But the 4.2L can handle your tow weight pretty well. That would be the only reason I'd swap -- for a full-size, if you wanted to get a bigger trailer. But now you're starting over, from a maintenance standpoint, and they ain't cheap, unless you get something you can basically rebuild all the major components of. That's what I did, but it's a lot of work & expense. I don't know that I'd do it a second time. But I do love my Sierra.

Find a pair of junkyard diffs, and get them rebuilt, if needed. It can be done for WAY less than $8K. And if you want to forgo 4WD, you could probably get it done for $2000 or so, all-in, with a nice sturdy 8.6 w/ 3.73s and posi.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keithdm

Members Online