Fog light mods ?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I have the quad mod i did by taking a wire under the dash and splicing it to another wire so my lows can be on when my highs get turned on.
I want my fogs to stay on when i turn on my highs...how would i go about doing this ? I dont want my fogs to be drls as there is hids there now. Sometimes i run my quads at night and it would be nice to keep the fogs on too.

Link or help would be greatly appreciated. My bad if this is posted in the wrong section.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Anyone?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
Using my iPad, haven't figured out how to copy & paste yet.
Try searching "cheap quads & fogs"
Don't know if this will work for you, but worth a try twocents:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
barron03 said:

At hooters right now, after i sober up go ill stop by radio shack.pick up the diods and do the most tonight :smile:

Edit after rereading the whole thread that wont work for me ? As my quad mod was done under the steering column. Swapped a few wires and bam. Now i just want to keep the blasted fogs on if i decide to kick on the high beams.:banghead:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ghost said:
At hooters right now, after i sober up go ill stop by radio shack.pick up the diods and do the most tonight :smile:

Edit after rereading the whole thread that wont work for me ? As my quad mod was done under the steering column. Swapped a few wires and bam. Now i just want to keep the blasted fogs on if i decide to kick on the high beams.:banghead:

why not just use the high beam signal wire as the trigger for a relay and run your fogs from that?
that way, anytime your highs are on, your fogs are on...

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
why not just use the high beam signal wire as the trigger for a relay and run your fogs from that?
that way, anytime your highs are on, your fogs are on...

Don't know how to do that?

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ghost said:
Don't know how to do that?

oh...sorry, that part might help :smile:

relays are simple, you use a input wire (simply a signal from something you would like to tie into) to initiate a connection between a power source (your battery) and your accessory (in this case your fogs)

so when pin 86 gets a signal, the relay makes a connection between 87 and 30, sending a full 12v to your fogs

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Electrical/RelayBasics/relay_diagram.JPG

so basically, splice pin number 86 into your high beam wire, 87 into the battery (fused of course...some people will hijack any 12v source and use it, but I'm not a fan of it myself, could lead to complications later down the road) 85 to a dedicated ground for the relay, and 30 to the +input of your fogs.

that way, anytime your high beams get signal, so do your fogs, and your not tapping the high beam wires and splitting the voltage between the highs/fogs.

if this doesn't make sense, let me know...I know when I first read a forum about it, my head was spinning at first :tongue:
lots of reading and a bit of patience, and it will all become second nature to you...
Chris

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
oh...sorry, that part might help :smile:

relays are simple, you use a input wire (simply a signal from something you would like to tie into) to initiate a connection between a power source (your battery) and your accessory (in this case your fogs)

so when pin 86 gets a signal, the relay makes a connection between 87 and 30, sending a full 12v to your fogs

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Electrical/RelayBasics/relay_diagram.JPG

so basically, splice pin number 86 into your high beam wire, 87 into the battery (fused of course...some people will hijack any 12v source and use it, but I'm not a fan of it myself, could lead to complications later down the road) 85 to a dedicated ground for the relay, and 30 to the +input of your fogs.

that way, anytime your high beams get signal, so do your fogs, and your not tapping the high beam wires and splitting the voltage between the highs/fogs.

if this doesn't make sense, let me know...I know when I first read a forum about it, my head was spinning at first :tongue:
lots of reading and a bit of patience, and it will all become second nature to you...
Chris

Pffffft i am having a brain fart :eek:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ghost said:
Pffffft i am having a brain fart :eek:

no worries, I have had those moments...like spending a week and over $200 trying to get my trailblazer running again, only to find out it was a $%&&% fuse that I had overlook multiple times o.O ((still a big mad about that lol))

which part of it is giving you trouble?
I have found that once I understand the concept behind what I'm trying to do, the rest of the kind of falls into place a bit easier

you understand how the relay works?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Would you still leave it hooked up to the fog switch? Or just have it run only when your highs kick on? The second would seem rather redundant as the fogs are meant to aim low to see better in fog as highs reflect light back making it harder to see. Why not wire relay for the fogs to the running lights, or the lows. Personally I would go with the running lights, you would burn through bulbs faster but it would make the most sense (to me at least).

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Would you still leave it hooked up to the fog switch? Or just have it run only when your highs kick on? The second would seem rather redundant as the fogs are meant to aim low to see better in fog as highs reflect light back making it harder to see. Why not wire relay for the fogs to the running lights, or the lows. Personally I would go with the running lights, you would burn through bulbs faster but it would make the most sense (to me at least).

personally...I like my fogs on when any headlights are on (personal preference) but he was asking about how to do it with the highs on, so that's the direction I went with it

and yea, you can wire it up pretty much any way you like, if you wanted to run it to the fog light switch as well, having 2 inputs, you could just diode isolate each of the input triggers (one from the high beam, and one from the fog switch) that way you could have always-on fogs with high beams...and have the option of turning them on with the fog light switch as well

really nothing to it, ((I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to projects like this haha)) I'm always around for help...never be afraid to reach out

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
personally...I like my fogs on when any headlights are on (personal preference) but he was asking about how to do it with the highs on, so that's the direction I went with it

and yea, you can wire it up pretty much any way you like, if you wanted to run it to the fog light switch as well, having 2 inputs, you could just diode isolate each of the input triggers (one from the high beam, and one from the fog switch) that way you could have always-on fogs with high beams...and have the option of turning them on with the fog light switch as well

really nothing to it, ((I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to projects like this haha)) I'm always around for help...never be afraid to reach out

Trying to disable the fogs from shutting off if the highs kick on. That's what i really want and the only way i see that happening is removing the fogs from the trucks circuit and using its on switch or the way you mentioned i was hoping just a simple jump wire would work...meh ! I dont plan on using my highs in fog (we never get fog) but there is times when using the the highs on a sob works but id hate to ruin the life of the hid fogs due to them disabling after the highs being turned on flash pass or perm

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ghost said:
Trying to disable the fogs from shutting off if the highs kick on. That's what i really want and the only way i see that happening is removing the fogs from the trucks circuit and using its on switch or the way you mentioned i was hoping just a simple jump wire would work...meh ! I dont plan on using my highs in fog (we never get fog) but there is times when using the the highs on a sob works but id hate to ruin the life of the hid fogs due to them disabling after the highs being turned on flash pass or perm

if you use the fog switch (with the low beams on) I assume the fogs come on. Then, when you push the stick forward, the highs come on, and fogs come off? what about the flash to pass when you pull the stalk back? do the fogs still turn off? ((sry my tb didn't come with fogs))
if so, if you just use the fog switch and high beam signal as triggers for your relay, you could have it both ways
have your cake and eat it too haha

I need to check on one thing first, I'll post again when I figure out the issue I have in my head...don't want to confuse you with it quite yet...

that sound good? or?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
if you use the fog switch (with the low beams on) I assume the fogs come on. Then, when you push the stick forward, the highs come on, and fogs come off? what about the flash to pass when you pull the stalk back? do the fogs still turn off? ((sry my tb didn't come with fogs))
if so, if you just use the fog switch and high beam signal as triggers for your relay, you could have it both ways
have your cake and eat it too haha

I need to check on one thing first, I'll post again when I figure out the issue I have in my head...don't want to confuse you with it quite yet...

that sound good? or?

Yes if i pull the stick torwards me the fogs kick off momentary

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ghost said:
Yes if i pull the stick torwards me the fogs kick off momentary

then as far as I can tell, using the switch and high beam input should solve your problem
when you have your lows on and the fog switch in the ON position, your fog relay will get a trigger signal from the switch, when they highs are turned on the relay will get a trigger signal from the high beam signal, for the flash to pass, the fog switch will be interupted when the high beam comes on, but the high beam will send a signal to the relay so there shouldn't be any issue
(I'm a bit concerned with flickering though...not sure if there will be any timing issues between the two independent triggers, as soon as I have an answer I will get back to you about that part, assuming someone else hasn't already)

it may sound complicated, but once you see it layed out in front of you, nothing to it
give me a few minutes and I will draw something up for you

edit:
as long as you diode isolate the fog light switch and high beam output wires, then connect them to the relay for the trigger, you should be good
2012-11-04211504.jpg

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
after rereading the whole thread that wont work for me ? As my quad mod was done under the steering column. Swapped a few wires and bam. Now i just want to keep the blasted fogs on if i decide to kick on the high beams.:banghead:

Follow steps 4 and 6 for the fog light mod only... I would think it should work with your original mod? The diode basically overrides the fogs being turned off by the high beams, and can be done individually from the quad-light diode mod.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
Follow steps 4 and 6 for the fog light mod only... I would think it should work with your original mod? The diode basically overrides the fogs being turned off by the high beams, and can be done individually from the quad-light diode mod.

Ok as soon as it gets warm out ill try it. As i did buy the diodes

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
Ok as soon as it gets warm out ill try it. As i did buy the diodes

If nothing else, undo the wire swapping mod, and plug in both diodes. I've been using the diode mod for quad headlights for the last 2 years and it works great. Been thinking about adding the other diode for the fogs lately.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Shdwdrgn said:
If nothing else, undo the wire swapping mod, and plug in both diodes. I've been using the diode mod for quad headlights for the last 2 years and it works great. Been thinking about adding the other diode for the fogs lately.

What i did under the dash wiring harness is perminant lol no going back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online