Fluid Capacities?

wesman43

Original poster
Member
Apr 30, 2013
199
Hi, I have a 2005 TB LS with the 4.2 I6, I'm new here and I was just wondering how much 75W-90 I would need to change out the front diff? I know the rear takes just about 2 quarts...but I haven't been successful in finding out how much goes in the front diff. Also, I have oil changing ramps that I use to change my oil, and it lifts the car up a good foot and a half off of the ground. Would it be safe to use the ramps in the back, then jack up the front of it and then put the front on two jack stands? I'm really anal about everything being secure and safe with this sort of thing because my cousin passed away working on a car.

Thanks!

wesman
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
1.1 in the front. 3 will cover both changes.

Why not jack up one end at a time and be safer overall? Or drive on ramps one end at a time. Most ramps are only 12 inches actually...
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
There is actually no need to be on ramps changing the front diff fluid. The only thing I needed was a couple foot long 1/2 inch extensions out the wheel well and a 1/2 inch breaker bar to remove the fill/inspection plug.
 

wesman43

Original poster
Member
Apr 30, 2013
199
Okay! Also, which gear oil should I get? I've heard nothing but good things about Amsoil and RP...but RP is $20 a quart :yikes::yikes: I guess that's the price nowadays!
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
wesman43 said:
Okay! Also, which gear oil should I get?

As long as it is changed regularly it shouldn't matter too much. It's a personal choice. But I would stick with synthetic. 75W-90 is what's called for. I use Valvoline Synthetic or Mobile1 synthetic at Advance Auto.
 

wesman43

Original poster
Member
Apr 30, 2013
199
Okay! Thanks! I think i'll stick with Mobil 1 for now, Advance has a special for $10 each, then $10 off the order so only $20!:wootwoot:

I appreciate the help!
 

triz

Member
Apr 22, 2013
746
I say Amsoil all the way but I am biased. I ran the Mobil One previously and no complaints there. But if you decide you want to try the Amsoil gear lube and later on try the Amsoil Engine oil, I've inboxed you a special offer. (assuming you are not Amsoil customer already)

Forgot to add you will need a hand pump of some sorts which you can get from my site or Harbor Freight sells one for like 5 bucks. It comes in handy when you do the diffs and transfer case.
 

jonbo2002

Member
Sep 27, 2012
213
CaptainXL said:
There is actually no need to be on ramps changing the front diff fluid. The only thing I needed was a couple foot long 1/2 inch extensions out the wheel well and a 1/2 inch breaker bar to remove the fill/inspection plug.

:iagree: exactly no need to lift it. I did the rear too without lifting but I have the advantage of having a drian plug which I believe was on the older TB's and Envoys I think you will have to remove the rear cover on your 05
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
And, since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, ALWAYS make sure you can remove the FILL plug before removing the drain plug or rear cover to drain anything. Front or rear diff or the transfer case. Otherwise you'll be using a drip-feed process to refill the fluid through the vent tubes and that can take hours.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JEREMY HALLETT

jonbo2002

Member
Sep 27, 2012
213
the roadie said:
And, since it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, ALWAYS make sure you can remove the FILL plug before removing the drain plug or rear cover to drain anything. Front or rear diff or the transfer case. Otherwise you'll be using a drip-feed process to refill the fluid through the vent tubes and that can take hours.

oh yea you would think I would remember that cause it almost happened to me on the rear :redface: lucky I was able to get it after letting it sit for a little while with some PB blast
 

wesman43

Original poster
Member
Apr 30, 2013
199
jonbo2002 said:
:iagree: exactly no need to lift it. I did the rear too without lifting but I have the advantage of having a drian plug which I believe was on the older TB's and Envoys I think you will have to remove the rear cover on your 05

I'm a stocky guy, and I can't fit to the rear diff because of the spare tire, and I really don't fell like taking it off because it's easier imo to put it on ramps. However, if I lift it, will the fluid not empty all the way? That's my only concern because it's not level. Thanks!

Wesman
 

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Member
Dec 3, 2011
8,159
Brighton, CO
Since you have to take the rear cover off, I am pretty sure it will all drain out.

I am sure this has been asked somewhere on the site before, but I have to ask, just in case this guy has the G80. Is there any modifier he has to put in the rear diff?
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
TollKeeper said:
Since you have to take the rear cover off, I am pretty sure it will all drain out.

I am sure this has been asked somewhere on the site before, but I have to ask, just in case this guy has the G80. Is there any modifier he has to put in the rear diff?

No. That's just for limited slip diffs. Usually there is a tag on the diff if it requires additive.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
The Mobil One LS is all I ever used and had zero issues.

No extra modifiers. It is a locker, not a limited slip.
 

jonbo2002

Member
Sep 27, 2012
213
wesman43 said:
I'm a stocky guy, and I can't fit to the rear diff because of the spare tire, and I really don't fell like taking it off because it's easier imo to put it on ramps. However, if I lift it, will the fluid not empty all the way? That's my only concern because it's not level. Thanks!

Wesman

so what you're saying is the spare tire gets in the way of the spare tire :raspberry: j/k
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,397
Posts
638,826
Members
18,611
Latest member
DirtEater73

Members Online